Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR50 Seems like we are hitting max devices

KShivum
Aspirant

RBR50 Seems like we are hitting max devices

Hi, so recently we ran into an issue where a lot of devices aren't able to get an internet connection but are connected to the internet, but when a device disconnects another one gets a connection. I would understand if we had 200 devices but we have 27
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 31
Mstrbig
Master

@KShivum wrote:
Hi, so recently we ran into an issue where a lot of devices aren't able to get an internet connection but are connected to the internet, but when a device disconnects another one gets a connection. I would understand if we had 200 devices but we have 27

Sounds like maybe you are out of available IP addresses.

Check your DHCP settings to make sure you allocated enough IP addresses.

Also check your subnet mask as it also determines how many IP addresses you are allowed to have.

Message 2 of 31
KShivum
Aspirant

So I changed the Subnet mask to 255.255.0.0 but I can't change the ending IP address past 192.168.1.254, the 1 is locked

Message 3 of 31
KShivum
Aspirant

Also all of the computers are getting IP's but still aren't getting a connection, is that still correct?

Message 4 of 31
Mikey94025
Hero

@KShivum wrote:

So I changed the Subnet mask to 255.255.0.0 but I can't change the ending IP address past 192.168.1.254, the 1 is locked

This is not a good idea.  Leave the subnet mask at the default (255.255.255.0) until you figure out what the root cause is.

If your DHCP range is big enough, i.e., the starting IP and the ending IP are well-separated then you should have no problem with 27 devices.  For example, I have 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.200.

We must look elsewhere for why your system is behaving differently from most others.  What settings did you change from the default?

Also, we need to know if IP address allocation is the problem or not.  Can you use a computer, like Windows and Mac, and reproduce the problem of "aren't able to get an internet connection"?  Exactly what happens -- You can't ping the router IP, or you can't visit websites in the browser, etc.?

Message 5 of 31
Mstrbig
Master

According to Netgar:

Your Orbi system can simultaneously support up to 250 clients under most conditions. If your household has users who use a lot of bandwidth for activities like HD video streaming and online gaming, you will experience better performance when a maximum of 50 clients are connected to your Orbi network.

Your Orbi Pro WiFi 6 Mesh System can simultaneously support up to 256 clients and allows 60 concurrent client users per unit.

Do you have any switches in the mix, or some other DHCP server that may be causing the issue? I have systems running with default configurations and have over 40 devices connected and working at one time. I think your issue is coming from possibly a device or setting on your system.

With that said, can you give us a complete rundown on your system from the ISP modem/router to all your devices?

Message 6 of 31
KShivum
Aspirant

The laptops that don't get a connection can still ping the router, and the error when they try to connect is "{website} refused to connect
Message 7 of 31
KShivum
Aspirant

So it goes from an Artist Sb8200 to a RBR50 Router which has an ethernet into a switch and has two satillites, an RBS20 and another RBR50
Message 8 of 31
Mstrbig
Master

@KShivum wrote:
So it goes from an Artist Sb8200 to a RBR50 Router which has an ethernet into a switch and has two satillites, an RBS20 and another RBR50

I'm assuming you mean ARRIS SB8200. Reset the Arris SB8200 to see if that fixes it?

What switch are you using? Try ommitting the switch to see if the problem corrects itself?

Lastly, check with your ISP. If you are able to ping the router with all the devices, then your Orbi router DHCP server is functioning properly. So that leaves your ISP modem and connection that may be the issue. 

Message 9 of 31
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Do you have just the RBR or is there a RBS as well. If you only have the RBR, then you maybe running into a bandwidth issue with having that many wifi devices connected to just 1 source. You may need a RBS to help spread and share the load. There are more connections per device then just 1 connection. 

@KShivum wrote:

Message 10 of 31
FURRYe38
Guru

Oops i see you mentioned a modem and RBS. My bad. 

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

Has a power off for 1 minute then back on been performed since last update?
Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

Message 11 of 31
Mstrbig
Master

@FURRYe38  He said:

Message 12 of 31
KShivum
Aspirant

Sorry for late reply, but yes I have reset and now I have changed the router orbi with a new one. Internet connection is still dropping

Message 13 of 31
KShivum
Aspirant

ISP said it wasn't their problem, internet keeps disconnecting now but I can't completely test if the exact same issue is still happening

Message 14 of 31
KShivum
Aspirant

Detaching all of the satellites seems to keep it stable

Message 15 of 31
FURRYe38
Guru

Try adding just 1 RBS now. 

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Message 16 of 31
KShivum
Aspirant

One of them is less than 30 feet, but the other isn't, but we will probably change routers, We've had way too many issues with the Orbi routers and most of my family believes that mesh routers don't work at this point

Message 17 of 31
FURRYe38
Guru

Anything less that 30 feet is too close. Placement and distance is key. 

I've had Orbi AC for a while now and work well with my 30 devices, wired and wireless. v16 FW. RBS50 and 1 RBS20. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

Good Luck

Message 18 of 31
KShivum
Aspirant

Would a satellite being too close cause these types of issues?

Message 19 of 31
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes. Distance and placement is key. 

Also make sure FW is the same on the RBS series as well. They should be already. 

I found that v16 is the best and most stable version of FW IMO for the 50 series Orbi. 

You might download v16 files for RBS and RBR. Use a wired PC and manually re-load the units using a web browser. Factory reset and setup from scratch. I'd run just 1 RBS intially, try to get the distance out to about 35 feet if your home is mostly wood and sheet rock. 

What is the size if your home again? Sq ft? 

Message 20 of 31
KShivum
Aspirant

7000 sq ft, I can try again in a little while since there are people in meetings right now so I shouldn't do anything that may disconnect the internet right now. But if it is because one of the satellites is within 30 feet, that may make sense. I recently moved one of the sateillites where it is within 30 feet for ethernet connection

Message 21 of 31
FURRYe38
Guru

7000sq ft, you should have RBS out at 40 feet. Where is the RBR place? Main or 1st floor? Which is recommended...

Message 22 of 31
KShivum
Aspirant

It's stuck in one corner of the house in a master bedroom in the second floor, one sits in another bedroom across the house on the second floor, the third sits on the third floor in the theater room

Message 23 of 31
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, seems like this is a placement issue. 

Any chance you can get the RBR down on the 1st level main floor? 

Also is Daisy Chain enabled on the RBR? 

Message 24 of 31
KShivum
Aspirant

The Coaxial cable is in the master bedroom so it isn't really possible to move the router version to the bottom floor. Also Daisy Chain is on.

Message 25 of 31
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 30 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7