Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR50 Set Up, Frequency Selection

HuhWhoKnew
Aspirant

RBR50 Set Up, Frequency Selection

Hi All,

New to Orbi, just switched from Nighthawk X4S AC2600.  I have ~ 1098 sf, 2 story.  Router on 1st floor; satellite 1 - 1st floor ~ 30 ft away with kitchen cabinet wall between; satellite 2 - 2nd floor ~ 30 ft with ceiling/floor between.

Orbi Firmware is 2.3.5.30

Modem is Arris Surfboard SB6190 (mine)

ISP Spectrum

Speed 200+

Devices: Can I designate what satellite they use? Frequency they use?  I have 3 devices on 2nd floor not using sat 2 for some reason.  Printer and sleep number bed on 2.4, laptop on 5.  They are directly over sat 1 and separated by 2 walls from sat 2.

How can I improve WiFi speed?  Basically getting 160 avg when sitting between router and sat 1.  It waffles alot between 160 and 90+.  Not sure if it is interference of ISP.

Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

You might want to try lowering the power output of the RBR from 100% to say 50% as a test. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

It's up to the client devices to connect to the freqency they pick and choose to best suitable. 

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 12

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

@HuhWhoKnew wrote:

Hi All,

New to Orbi, just switched from Nighthawk X4S AC2600.  I have ~ 1098 sf, 2 story.  Router on 1st floor; satellite 1 - 1st floor ~ 30 ft away with kitchen cabinet wall between; satellite 2 - 2nd floor ~ 30 ft with ceiling/floor between.

Orbi Firmware is 2.3.5.30

Modem is Arris Surfboard SB6190 (mine) > There are known issues with this model modem FYI. 

ISP Spectrum

Speed 200+

Devices: Can I designate what satellite they use? No. Frequency they use?  No.I have 3 devices on 2nd floor not using sat 2 for some reason.  Printer and sleep number bed on 2.4, laptop on 5.  They are directly over sat 1 and separated by 2 walls from sat 2.

How can I improve WiFi speed?  Basically getting 160 avg when sitting between router and sat 1.  It waffles alot between 160 and 90+.  Not sure if it is interference of ISP.

What wireless device are you using to speed test with?

What speed results do you get with a wired PC connected to the RBR?

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Message 2 of 12
HuhWhoKnew
Aspirant

What wireless device are you using to speed test with?  iPad 6th Gen using Ookla

What speed results do you get with a wired PC connected to the RBR?  200+  I was pretty much able to match wired speed when I had the AC2600 hooked up but I was only getting (paying) 55 mbps clocking 70+.

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?  8+, I live in a vertical condo so have 2 common walls. 

Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only  I only have Enable/Disable Option.  When I Disable it does not provide a way to set to 20 or 40

Armor  I cannot find where to disable

Message 3 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

@HuhWhoKnew wrote:

What wireless device are you using to speed test with?  iPad 6th Gen using Ookla

What speed results do you get with a wired PC connected to the RBR?  200+  I was pretty much able to match wired speed when I had the AC2600 hooked up but I was only getting (paying) 55 mbps clocking 70+.

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?  8+, I live in a vertical condo so have 2 common walls. 

Could be a reason for some wifi performances. Having many other wifi neighbors can be problematic. Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz. You might want to try lowering the power output of the RBR from 100% to say 50% as a test. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only  I only have Enable/Disable Option.  When I Disable it does not provide a way to set to 20 or 40. When you uncheck the 20/40Mhz box, this sets it to 40Mhz only. 

Armor  I cannot find where to disable

Try under access controls? You may need to factory reset the RBR and setup from scratch and this time, don't enable Armor during the setup wizard process. 

Message 4 of 12
HuhWhoKnew
Aspirant

I enabled and disabled as you outlined.  Found the Armor controlon the home page!  Does not seem to have made that much difference.

Multiple networks close by is a likely suspect.  I am going to ask my two common wall neighbors where their modem/routers are and try relocation.  I may have to get a WiFi scanner and work through the channels too. I just got 146 mbps on a Lenevo ThinkPad, second floor directly above satellite 1 on first floor.

Message 5 of 12
HuhWhoKnew
Aspirant

Also, what about designating what devices are on what satellite and what frequency they use?

I have 2 Firesticks. one next to satellite 2 and other next to satellite 1, and both are using the main router!  Phones and iPads we dont stream with are using 5 ghz rather than 2.4.

Message 6 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

You might want to try lowering the power output of the RBR from 100% to say 50% as a test. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

It's up to the client devices to connect to the freqency they pick and choose to best suitable. 

Message 7 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us now progress is going. 

@HuhWhoKnew wrote:

Also, what about designating what devices are on what satellite and what frequency they use?

I have 2 Firesticks. one next to satellite 2 and other next to satellite 1, and both are using the main router!  Phones and iPads we dont stream with are using 5 ghz rather than 2.4.

Message 8 of 12
HuhWhoKnew
Aspirant

Will do... got caught up in work today so I did not adjust power.

Message 9 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Wink

Message 10 of 12
HuhWhoKnew
Aspirant

I reset power for both channels/frequencies from 100% to 50% and did a speed test.  For the iPad, Gen 6 on the first floor I got 2 results; 1 high 170's and another low 180's of 200 mbps+.  For the Lenevo Thinkpad on the second floor I got high 150's and low 160's.

I would say this step helped.

So whats the science behind lowering power?

Message 11 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Since your in a wifi congested area with other wifi signals coming from neighbors, these signals over lap and interferre with your Orbi signal. By lowering the power on the RBR, we are trying to make the wifi broadcast range foot print smaller to lesson the interference with other wifi signals. 

@HuhWhoKnew wrote:

I reset power for both channels/frequencies from 100% to 50% and did a speed test.  For the iPad, Gen 6 on the first floor I got 2 results; 1 high 170's and another low 180's of 200 mbps+.  For the Lenevo Thinkpad on the second floor I got high 150's and low 160's.

I would say this step helped.

So whats the science behind lowering power?

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7