Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50 Set up Smart outlets

ditan
Initiate

RBR50 Set up Smart outlets

I can really mess things up because I know just enought to be very dangerous when making changes to my router and network.  I am trying to set up ETEKCITY Smart Wi-Fi Outlets.  I have downloaded the VeSync app, but when I try to add a device i get an error "Please switch your devices WiFi connection to 2.4G."  In my wifi settings on my computer this is the "Network band: 5 GHz"  How do I get my network to recognize the 2.4GHz?  When I log into my router there appears to be other devices that have a 2.4G connection type.  My phone will only connect to a 5G connection type do I need to set up another connection type.  Simple step by step insturctions are needed, I do not know how to make changes that are directed in other post.  Thank you!!

Message 1 of 4
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: RBR50 Set up Smart outlets

Hello ditan 

You can not separate out the 2 bands in the orbi setup but people on the community have made a post on a round about way to do this. I do not recommend doing this as orbi was designed to have 1 seamless SSID. 

DarrenM

Message 2 of 4
st_shaw
Master

@ditan

Take a look at this post by @khad with instructions on how to enable separate SSIDs for 2.4 and 5 GHz. That should help you get your device setup. You could restore back to one SSID when you are done so you have seamless roaming of your other devices.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/How-to-set-a-separate-SSID-for-the-5-GHz-network-on-your-Orbi/...

Message 3 of 4
ditan
Initiate

st_shaw....thank you so much.  It worked!! I had to turn on telnet client in window featurs and since I am using windows 10, I had to enter the cmd under Windows Powershell(Admin){when you right mouse click on the windows icon at the bottom left you should see the 'Windows Powershell(Admin)}

In orbi you can only have one SSID assigned to wireless. When I completed the process, the wla_ssid was set up with the 5G and the wl_ssid  was the 2.4G in my system.  In the wireless settings in orbilogin, when I changed to the wla_ssid (5G) none of my 2.4G  devices were listed, but when I changed to wl_ssid both the 5G and 2.4G devices were listed, therefore, the final wireless network SSID should be the one assigned to the wl_ssid.

DarrenM did not recommend doing this as orbi was designed to have 1 seamless SSID.  Why not recommend this? What problems can happen when having two SSIDs?

Why does Netgear (Orbi) have a dual channel network when it doesn't work without this fix for most of the 2.4G devices?

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7