Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50 - Shows MacBook Pro (2020) as wired instead of wireless, older MacBook Pro (2014) shows as 5G

Dambo29
Aspirant

RBR50 - Shows MacBook Pro (2020) as wired instead of wireless, older MacBook Pro (2014) shows as 5G

So I have 2 MacBook Pros, a 2014 model that is displayed as being correctly connected through 5G, and a 2020 model that for some reason comes up as being connected through ethernet, which is not the case. 

I don't particularly mind that, but the problem is that I get download speeds of over 200 MB/s on the 2014 Mac but only about 7MB/s (or less) on the 2020 model. This with both laptops having been restarted and sitting next to each other about 10 feet from the router.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR50 - Shows MacBook Pro (2020) as wired instead of wireless, older MacBook Pro (2014) shows as

Is your RBS ethernet connected to the RBR? IF so, then since the one MAC shows connected at the RBS, if the RBS is ethernet connected, then the status will show as wired and not wireless if the RBS is ethernet connected to the RBR. 

Message 2 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR50 - Shows MacBook Pro (2020) as wired instead of wireless, older MacBook Pro (2014) shows as

Also you should use the same speed test server on Ooklas speed test app, not different ones. There maybe servers that are busier or slower in performance from others. 

Message 3 of 8
mbmj82
Aspirant

Message 4 of 8
Dambo29
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Is your RBS ethernet connected to the RBR? IF so, then since the one MAC shows connected at the RBS, if the RBS is ethernet connected, then the status will show as wired and not wireless if the RBS is ethernet connected to the RBR. 

It is connected through ethernet. Now, how do I make it connect to the RBR instead of the RBS?

Also, ran the speed tests again on the same server and at the same time, got the same results: 223 MBps for the 2014, and 4 MBps for the 2020 (again both computers next to each other and 10 feet from the RBR).

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Connect the mac book to the RBR using ethernet. Or disconnect the mac book from ethernet and turn off the mac books wifi radio for 5 seconds then back on while near the RBR. The mac book should connect to the RBR signal instead of the RBS. 

Message 6 of 8
Dambo29
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Connect the mac book to the RBR using ethernet. Or disconnect the mac book from ethernet and turn off the mac books wifi radio for 5 seconds then back on while near the RBR. The mac book should connect to the RBR signal instead of the RBS. 

Hi @FURRYe38,

Let me start by thanking you for your help, we need more people like you in the world.

So... Don't have the new MacBook connected to ethernet and don't have an ethernet to USB-C adapter.

This is what I did:

- I turned off the wi-fi for a minute.

- Checked the iOS Orbi app and still showed the laptop as wired.

- Turned on the wi-fi, same problem, still crawling speeds and still showing as wired on app (even after shutting app off and booting it again. (I tried this a few times.)

- The I turned the Orbi satellite (RBS) off. The app still showed the laptop as wired.

- Turned the laptop wi-fi on and off (leaving it off for at least a minute). 

- When the wi-fi was on it would give me an error that it had no internet connection -- it wouldn't connect to the RBR even though the older laptop that is right next to it has no problems.

- Connected the laptop's wi-fi through my phone and it worked. Tried the RBR and didn't work.

- Connected the satellite back on. Again slow speeds.

- Turned the RBR off and on again... BINGO, new laptop now shows as being on 5g and giving me 230+ MBps.

Is there a way to force the laptop to only be connected through 5g and never wired? I physically can't ever hardwire it without buying an accessory that I really hope to never need.

Thank you again.

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Sounds like the RBR got stuck in a bad state in that you mentioned you power cycled the RBR. 

Now turn OFF the RBS while the RBR is online. The Mac book should connect to the RBR automatically. 

Try using the RBRs web page with a web browser to check the connected devices there. 

Sometimes it takes the Orbi app a bit longer to be updated on changes with devices. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7