Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR50 Sky Q Intermittent Connection

ElCapo
Luminary

RBR50 Sky Q Intermittent Connection

Hello All

I have recently had Sky Q installed with the 2 TB box and 1 Sky Mini Box.

My set up with Orbi is as follows:

Vodafone Broadband and Router

1 x RBR50 in Access Point Mode

2 x RBS50

All are set up over Ethernet Backhaul.

My Sky Q and Mini Box are both hard wired Ethernet to switches (unmanaged Netgear)

Although everything works ok (mostly) I have noticed on the sky q and mini box that the Network Connection "tick" turns to a cross and back to a tick again every 10 seconds or so.  This is constant and does not stop, however it has to be said that the online services work most of the time.  Occassionally, if I go to Box Sets it may say I have no connection but a minute or so later it will be OK.

So, to test this, I plugged my Sky Q directly into my Vodafone router to get a direct connection to the internet, unfortunately the problem was the same.  However, as soon as I disconnected the ORBI routers from my network (they were still powered up, i just disconnected the Ethernet feed), the problem went away and the tick was consistently on.  The moment I re-connected the ORBI to my wired network, the ticks/cross started again.  This led me to believe it had nothing to do with any kind of wifi signal clash as the orbis were still on, plus please note, there is no connection from my Sky Q or Mini Box to my Wireless network run by the ORBI, it is all wired.

As mentioned above, I know it is all working pretty much all the time, but I like things to be working properly otherwise thing inevitably start to go wrong in the future.

Any support would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
ElCapo
Luminary

Hello

Just throught I would post an update to this in case anyone ese finds the problem.

I eventually purchased a Netgear DM200 EUS modem and athough I had a few issues sorting it out I eventually got it into Bridge Modem and connected to my Vodafone broadband.

Following that I set up the Netgear Orbi in Router mode which all worked well.

Since then, I have not seen the regular drop out of connection on my Sky Q service so fingers crossed this has sorted the problem 🙂

Will advise if anything changes.

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 13

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router.

Message 2 of 13
ekhalil
Master

What other wired devices do you have connected to the switches or to the Orbi Router/Satellites?
Message 3 of 13
ElCapo
Luminary

Hi
A number of Devices are connected to my network including Xbox’s, Sonos sound bar, a few pc’s and Tv’s.
Message 4 of 13
ekhalil
Master

@ElCapo wrote:
Hi
A number of Devices are connected to my network including Xbox’s, Sonos sound bar, a few pc’s and Tv’s.

Please test to disconnect the wired Sonos, do a system reboot and see if there will any improvement. 

Message 5 of 13
ElCapo
Luminary

Hi
Firmware is v2.2.1.210

The router is Huawei 963168_HUAWEIIVOX25 and the wifi is permanently disabled..
Message 6 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

I would test the Orbi system with out the SONOs online. Thurn them off temporarily. 

Is your Modem is in modem mode if it has a built in router:

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router.

@ElCapo wrote:
Hi
Firmware is v2.2.1.210

The router is Huawei 963168_HUAWEIIVOX25 and the wifi is permanently disabled..

Message 7 of 13
ElCapo
Luminary

Hi all

i powered off all Sonos devices and rebooted the sky box.  Unfortunately no change on the behaviour .

i could try the process to get the vodafone router working in pass through mode but I am nervous that I might mess it all up.  Took me a long time to get the satellites working with Ethernet Backhaul.

i was hoping perhaps others had experienced this.... the sky engineer had no idea and once we proved it was not the sky box he lost interest 😄

Message 8 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

If you change to router mode on the modem, then changing to AP mode or router mode on the Orib should not bother the satllites on wired back haul. I recommend if you do anthing, shut OFF the satellites while you work with the Orbi router. Once you get things set up for your needs, turn on just 1 satellite and test...First work on getting the Orbi router set up with the modem. 

Message 9 of 13
ElCapo
Luminary

@FURRYe38

(or anyone else 🙂 )

To take this forward I have just purchased a Netgear DM200-100EUS Modem as Vodafone (VF) do not support bridge mode on their supplier router.

Looking at that device, it would appear it will default to a router modewhen powered up, and i then have to change it to bridge mode, it will then settle with an IP address of 192.168.5.1, so I think i am pretty comfortable with connecting to that and getting it to work.

My question comes now with the ORBI Router.  I will first power down my two satalites.

Once i have done this... what is the order of events I should take to switch my router to router mode, rather than the current setting of AP.

I would rather not reset the device if possible, but can do if that is best course of action.  it will just mean I will have to set up the satalites again.

I was planning on disconnecting the VF router from telephone line and connecting it to the new Netgear modem.  I will then set that up, hopefully connect to internet and then update firmware.  Following that, i will switch it to bridge mode.

At this point I am not sure what to do without losing connection to the ORBI Router.  if i disconnect it from the VF router and connect it to the modem BEFORE switching to router mode, I am not sure how it will get an IP ADDRESS,as the modem will have no DHCP.  If I switch it to router mode, go through the changes etc whilst it is still connected to the old VF router... and then unplug it from the VF router and connect to the modem, will it be a "clean" set up?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Message 10 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes I believe you can power OFF the satellites first. If there already connected and synced, then after making the change, they should reconnect with out problems.

@ElCapo wrote:

@FURRYe38

(or anyone else 🙂 )

To take this forward I have just purchased a Netgear DM200-100EUS Modem as Vodafone (VF) do not support bridge mode on their supplier router.

Looking at that device, it would appear it will default to a router modewhen powered up, and i then have to change it to bridge mode, it will then settle with an IP address of 192.168.5.1, so I think i am pretty comfortable with connecting to that and getting it to work.

My question comes now with the ORBI Router.  I will first power down my two satalites.

Once i have done this... what is the order of events I should take to switch my router to router mode, rather than the current setting of AP.

I would rather not reset the device if possible, but can do if that is best course of action.  it will just mean I will have to set up the satalites again.

I was planning on disconnecting the VF router from telephone line and connecting it to the new Netgear modem.  I will then set that up, hopefully connect to internet and then update firmware.  Following that, i will switch it to bridge mode.

At this point I am not sure what to do without losing connection to the ORBI Router.  if i disconnect it from the VF router and connect it to the modem BEFORE switching to router mode, I am not sure how it will get an IP ADDRESS,as the modem will have no DHCP.  If I switch it to router mode, go through the changes etc whilst it is still connected to the old VF router... and then unplug it from the VF router and connect to the modem, will it be a "clean" set up?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Message 11 of 13
ElCapo
Luminary

Hello

Just throught I would post an update to this in case anyone ese finds the problem.

I eventually purchased a Netgear DM200 EUS modem and athough I had a few issues sorting it out I eventually got it into Bridge Modem and connected to my Vodafone broadband.

Following that I set up the Netgear Orbi in Router mode which all worked well.

Since then, I have not seen the regular drop out of connection on my Sky Q service so fingers crossed this has sorted the problem 🙂

Will advise if anything changes.

Message 12 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation