Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR50 Spectrum 400mbps wifi speeds slow

ericimi
Aspirant

RBR50 Spectrum 400mbps wifi speeds slow

I used to have spectrum standard internet with 100 Mbps down and 10 upload. I could test my internet anywhere in the house and get 110 or more on download and 12 or more on upload. I upgraded to the Spectrum ultra internet (400 down 20 up) and when wired I get 480mbps down and 23 mbps up. The problem is when connected to wireless even 5 feet away I only get 220-280. I have tried using a wifi analyzer to choose the best wifi channel anything else I can do ?
Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

What wifi device are you using to speed test wirelessly? 

Be aware that some wifi device may not support much over 400-500Mbps. Check the Mfr's help and support information on what the device should be supporting a far as connection rates and thruput speeds on N and AC modes. 

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Message 2 of 4
ericimi
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply , I am testing on multiple devices but my main testing device is a PC (about 5 feet away), I have also tried my Galaxy note 8 ,Apple TV and Nvidia shield. Should the rbr50 be able to produce these speeds over wireless? I will try to disable some of those settings you mentioned but usually they are reccomended to be activated .
Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

The Note I think should see near 400Mbps. Not sure abou the other devices. It all depends on what the wireless adapter in these devices support. Most newer generation wifi adapters should beable to see around 400Mbps or more, 500-600mpbs is about max on AC mode though. I'ts not the Orbi production of speed, it's the devices connecting to Orbi that has to be able to support the speeds. Devices have a meriad of supporting speeds. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7