Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50 Speed now 7mbps

Krushmoto
Aspirant

RBR50 Speed now 7mbps

Purchased my RBR50 2 years ago and it ran great until 2 weeks ago.  I have gigbit speeds w/ RCN. 

I'm averaging 7mbps on speedtest.net.  I was on firmware 2.7 but downgraded back to 2.6 after reading other suggestions. I've hard reset the router too many times to count. 

I have always kept the factory default settings so I know that's not the cause.  Any other suggestions before I toss this router?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR50 Speed now 7mbps

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Are you speed testing with a wired PC or wireless device? 

Do all devices show this same speed result? 

Do you get same results directly connected to the ISP modem? 

Message 2 of 11
Krushmoto
Aspirant

Using a NG CM1000 cable modem. Not using the satellites at this time. Unable to speed test using wire, laptop doesn't have a Ethernet port but I do have another router which is giving normal speeds. The Asus router is providing 422/24.8 Mbps while the Orbi is providing 7.27/7.25 Mbps. The other thing I noticed was while the Asus selects a local server the Orbi is selecting a server in NYC. I'm in NE PA. Orbi used to select a local server.
Message 3 of 11
Krushmoto
Aspirant

Not using the satellites at this time, just the router.
Message 4 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

I would power OFF the ISP modem for 1 minute. Factory reset the Orbi router and power it off. Power ON the ISP modem and let it sync. Then power ON the Orbi router and walk thru the setup wizard again using a wired PC and a web browser.
Press the back reset button for 15 seconds then release. 
https://kb.netgear.com/31486/How-do-I-reset-my-Orbi-system-to-factory-default-settings

Might setup the RBR using some of these suggestions:

One User Experience/Configuration:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

I would not enabled Armor, Access Controls, Circle or Traffic Meter. Just run some speed tests with Ooklas installable speed test app first. 

There are inexpensive USB to ethernet adapters for laptops with out ethernet ports. 

Message 5 of 11
Krushmoto
Aspirant

Sorry for the late reply.  Got the usb adapter and tried resetting and hardwiring to the router but still no change.  Hardwire and wifi both are 7mbps so I have to think something is wrong with my 2 year old Orbi.  Using the new Asus router I get 225mpbs on wifi.

Any suggestions or is the Orbi dead?

Message 6 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Sorry for the late reply. 

If you set the ASUS router as your main router, disable all wifi radios on the router. Then configure the RBR for AP mode, wire connect it to the ASUS router and wire one PC to the RBR first and speed test with the PC, results the same or any better? 

@Krushmoto wrote:

Sorry for the late reply.  Got the usb adapter and tried resetting and hardwiring to the router but still no change.  Hardwire and wifi both are 7mbps so I have to think something is wrong with my 2 year old Orbi.  Using the new Asus router I get 225mpbs on wifi.

Any suggestions or is the Orbi dead?

Message 7 of 11
Krushmoto
Aspirant

No change. Still 7.62/7.42Mbps.
Message 8 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Sound like the RBR maybe bad. 

You can try Voxel FW and see if this changes anything, if not, then I would get the RBR replaced. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Voxels-FW-available-for-50-series-Orbi-only-available/m-p/1883...
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/custom-firmware-build-for-orbi-a-la-faq.65224/
You can revert back to stock FW if it doesn't work out for you. 

Message 9 of 11
Krushmoto
Aspirant

Have a stupid question for you. Vogel is for the RBK, will it work on the RBR?
Besides updating the firmware is there anything else I need to modify?
Thanks again for all your help.
Message 10 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

The RBK includes the RBR. The K stands for Kit, meaning that the kit includes a RBR and 1 or more RBS. 

Something to ask for help and information for over in the SNB forums where they support Voxels FW. 

Good Luck. 

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7