Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50 Stopped Working

ghosteyes
Aspirant

RBR50 Stopped Working

I have an Orbi RBR50 set up in router mode with several satellites which has been working flawlessly since installation. Then last week for two days in a row, the satellites disconnected from the router at around 9pm and then reconnected several times before settling down. The second time it happened, I was out of the house so when told what was happening, I reset the router remotely from my Orbi app. Since I did that, the router stopped working completely. On the app, it says it is disconnected. I tried connecting my laptop directly to the router but it won’t recognise it at all when I go through the IP address or Orbi Login as I usually would.

On the RBR50 itself, the small green power light remains on. I’ve tried power cycling the unit but the only light I see is the green power light. No white, magenta or blue lights are ever lit up on top of the unit. I tried holding a pin in the reset hole but nothing happens. The green light remains on. No other lights appear, even after holding for several minutes.

Is there anything else I can try?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR50 Stopped Working

Try swapping the power adater from one of the working RBS units. See if this does anything. 

Press and hold the reset button for 15 seconds then release. The top ring should start to blink WHITE. 

IF this all fails, seems that the RBR is faulty and needs to be replaced. 

Message 2 of 6
ghosteyes
Aspirant

I've just tried the other power adapter but the only thing that lights up is the green power light. Tried holding the reset for 15 seconds but nothing happens at all. No white lights. Smiley Sad 

Looks like its the end of the road for the RBR50.

So how is it that rebooting the unit from the app has completely killed it? It's not quite three years old. Surely they should last a bit longer than that, given the price? 

If I look for a new router, like the new AX systems or anything newer than the RBR50, would they still work with my existing satelites? I have three RBS50's and an outdoor Orbi.

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

May have been hiding something and it was coinsidence that the reboot finally triggered the failure. 

You might look on Amazon or fleabay for any refurb or used RBR50s. 

The RBS50s are not wirelessly compatible with Orbi AX. You can ethernet connect the RBS50 to Orbi AX and they will work in that configuration. 

Message 4 of 6
ghosteyes
Aspirant

Ok great. Thanks for your help. 

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors