Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50 - Two devices on network lose connectivity to wifi, others work fine.

Kuleaze
Aspirant

RBR50 - Two devices on network lose connectivity to wifi, others work fine.

I have two devices (iPhone & Pixel 2 XL) that have lost connectivity in the past 2 weeks, while all other devices remain operational. The message indicating network loss is on each phone, and has happed while using the network provided by Orbi to watch Netflix on other wifi deivces (Roku). The operation that resolves the issue is to reboot the router & satelllite. The firmware version is 2.3.5.30. Also, I noticed something odd under the advanced > security > access control section of the router; at the top of this page's output, there are "allowed devices that ARE currently connected to the network", just below it, there is a list of "allowed devices that are NOT currently connected to the network" - in this list are both cell phones having connectivty issues (identified through MAC address), even though both phones say connected (indicated by their wifi icons at top of phone). I have disconnected and reconnected both phone, refreshed the list of "allowed but NOT currently connected..." devices, and both cell phones remain listed under this category. I have been hesitant to upgrade firmware version due to other issues that have been happening with the current version code - verified through a friend who's upgraded the firmware and experienced issues. 

The issue I'm reporting above just started about 2 weeks ago from today. The first time, after rebooting the device, fixed the issue until today, when I had to reboot the devices (router & satellite) to fix the issue again. Anyone have insight into this issue and can explain why devices that are connected are showing up under the list of "NOT currently connected?"  

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR50 - Two devices on network lose connectivity to wifi, others work fine.

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Have the iPhone and Pixel devices been updated recently? 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Be sure that CTS and RTS values are changed to 2347 under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? If not, I would try this as well...

Message 2 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

Is Access Control enabled or disabled?

Message 3 of 7
Kuleaze
Aspirant

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too? Modem = Aris Surfboard sb6141

Have the iPhone and Pixel devices been updated recently? Pixel was upgraded to Android 10 early March, security patch was upgraded March 5, 2020. No iPhone update that I know of.

What is the size of your home? 2100sqft - Sqft has not been an issue since buying the device - 2 years ago. Until 2 weeks ago, my network has been the best home network I've ever had.

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)?  Less than 20 ft with almost unimpeded line of sight.

What channels are you using? Auto? I have tried Auto and Manual channel settings. With two devices and neighbors not close enough to affect my wifi signals, channels should not be an issue.

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many? I have neighbors on both sides of me, however, I'm on a half acre and they're not close enough to cause any of my device to want to connect to their networks. 2 years this Orbi system has been up and running like a champ, issue didn't start until 2 weeks ago.. So channel competition shouldn't be an issue.

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Enabled Beamforming today, MU-MIMO enabled today. WMM was already enabled. Transmit power at 100%

Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings Try disabling the following and see: Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Armor never enabled, Circle disabled today, Daisy Chain enabled, Fast roaming enabled now, coexistance already set to 40Mhz.

Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s). Currently set to Auto

Be sure that CTS and RTS values are changed to 2347 - already set to 2347

under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? If not, I would try this as well... Will try after short period of times since some of the setting above have either been enabled, or changed due to your recommendations.

Message 4 of 7
Kuleaze
Aspirant

Access control is enabled and set to allow all unknown devices to connect

Message 5 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

Since Access Control is set to "allow all devices" to connect, there is little harm in temporarily turning Access Control OFF.

(That particular setting is somewhat of a mystery to me.  i.e. I can block devices when I already know their MAC address, but I will let any device I have never seen before connect just fine.  What? )

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)?  Less than 20 ft with almost unimpeded line of sight. < 20 feet is too close. 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7