Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR50 - Unexplained Internet Disconnect

GreyBat
Aspirant

RBR50 - Unexplained Internet Disconnect

Message 1 of 18

Accepted Solutions
GreyBat
Aspirant

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions. For now, I will follow @plemans advice and hope the problem doesn't resurface. If it does, then its likely a reset and backout of new firmware.

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 18

All Replies
plemans
Guru

We need more info. Its like saying "my car doesn't drive"

1. What modem do you have?

2. Firmware on router?

3. Whats actually going on? did it disconnect once, multiple times. is the wifi dropping or are you connected but not internet?

More details help us to help you. 

We can't help with minimal info. 

You can go to netgear.com/support/   type in the model number and it'll give you manuals, firmware, install guides, and troubleshooting. 

Message 2 of 18
GreyBat
Aspirant

(Apologies for empty first post!)

A couple of nights ago, my RBR50 router would not connect to the ISP's (Technicolor) cable modem. I rebooted several times, restart proceeded failry normally with pulsing white ring. However, it always ended with a magenta ring. I spent a considerable amount of time with my ISP's tech support to determine where the problem was. Eventually, we determined (by plugging my computer ethernet cable directly into the modem's por) that the modem was working fine and delivering a signal. But the RBR50 would not connect. I could, however, access the web interface of the router.

Having said that, the Internet Port information (under Advanced Setup) showed I was receiving an ip address from the modem.

Eventually, I gave up troubleshooting for the night. My expectation was that I would probably have to do a factory reset  on the router and (single) satellite. I was loth to do this since there would be a lot of address reservations to recreate. The last thing I did before retiring was to unplug power from the satellite which, not surpringly, also showed a magenta ring.

Yesterday evening, I returned to my trouble shooting, reconnected everything and powered on. Everything worked, although it seemed to take more time than usual for the connected computers to resetablish their internet connections, mainly perhaps due to the number of devices attempting the same thing at the same time.

So, I am left with an "intermittnet fault" that may or may not occur again! Not a comfortable feeling! I would be interestd in any adeas as to what occurred. Below are some details of my setup:

Firmware version : 2.5.0.38. (Updated within the last month following perisitent and intermittent disconnects usually without magenta lights, and previously always fixable by reboot of router.)

No connection issues between router and satellite.

Most advanced settings are set to default. The one change I made was disabling daisy chaining. This appeared to correct the satellie details previously not showing under connected devices.

Thanks for your help!

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 3 of 18
plemans
Guru

Hopefully it was a one-off disconnect issue for you.

I know there's been reports of issues with the newest firmware.

If it returns, let us know and we'll happily help troubleshooting.

Message 4 of 18
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Here's your problem:  Firmware version : 2.5.0.38.

Message 5 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Try a factory reset on the RBR and walk thru the setup wizard and see if this helps clear these internet disconnects. 

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too? Any built in router here by chance? 

@GreyBat wrote:

(Apologies for empty first post!)

A couple of nights ago, my RBR50 router would not connect to the ISP's (Technicolor) cable modem. I rebooted several times, restart proceeded failry normally with pulsing white ring. However, it always ended with a magenta ring. I spent a considerable amount of time with my ISP's tech support to determine where the problem was. Eventually, we determined (by plugging my computer ethernet cable directly into the modem's por) that the modem was working fine and delivering a signal. But the RBR50 would not connect. I could, however, access the web interface of the router.

Having said that, the Internet Port information (under Advanced Setup) showed I was receiving an ip address from the modem.

Eventually, I gave up troubleshooting for the night. My expectation was that I would probably have to do a factory reset  on the router and (single) satellite. I was loth to do this since there would be a lot of address reservations to recreate. The last thing I did before retiring was to unplug power from the satellite which, not surpringly, also showed a magenta ring.

Yesterday evening, I returned to my trouble shooting, reconnected everything and powered on. Everything worked, although it seemed to take more time than usual for the connected computers to resetablish their internet connections, mainly perhaps due to the number of devices attempting the same thing at the same time.

So, I am left with an "intermittnet fault" that may or may not occur again! Not a comfortable feeling! I would be interestd in any adeas as to what occurred. Below are some details of my setup:

Firmware version : 2.5.0.38. (Updated within the last month following perisitent and intermittent disconnects usually without magenta lights, and previously always fixable by reboot of router.)

No connection issues between router and satellite.

Most advanced settings are set to default. The one change I made was disabling daisy chaining. This appeared to correct the satellie details previously not showing under connected devices.

Thanks for your help!

Message 6 of 18
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Try a factory reset on the RBR and walk thru the setup wizard and see if this helps clear these internet disconnects. 

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too? Any built in router here by chance? 

Why.....haven't you heard about the problems with .38?

Message 7 of 18
GreyBat
Aspirant

The modem is Technicolor TC4350. Definitely no router involved!

As I mentioned, I would rather not factory reset except as last resort due to time taken to reset all the reserved addresses. However, I have done a backup of the router settings. I assume restoring from the backup cfg file would work and would make it easier!?

@Retired_Member - Short answer: Yes! (But new release also seemed to solve some other issues.)

Message 8 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Try a reset. Yes as a last resort. Something I normally do however most users shouldn't, however for some, its a last resort. I ran my RBR50 with v38 loaded and never saw any internet disconnects. Zero. However I manually update FW and factory reset. I'm now using v40. 

Yes you can load the saved backup file. I would reset and set up from scratch. See if the system remains online. Of so, then apply your backup from file. 

@GreyBat wrote:

As I mentioned, I would rather not factory reset except as last resort due to time taken to reset all the reserved addresses. However, I have done a backup of the router settings. I assume restoring from the backup cfg file would work and would make it easier!?

Message 9 of 18
plemans
Guru

If its up and working fine. I would skip the factory reset unless the issue crops up again. Kind of like "don't poke a sleeping bear". If its working, I'd leave it. Just my thoughts. 

Message 10 of 18
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@GreyBat wrote:

@Retired_Member- Short answer: Yes! (But new release also seemed to solve some other issues.)

Thanks...Good luck

There are others in here that know better but would rather lead people down rabbitt holes. Perhaps showing off their 'knowledge of all things' or being paid by the number of posts.

It's your network and your time.

Message 11 of 18
GreyBat
Aspirant

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions. For now, I will follow @plemans advice and hope the problem doesn't resurface. If it does, then its likely a reset and backout of new firmware.

Message 12 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Please try a factory reset with the newer FW version to confirm it would resolve it. If not, then revert back. 

I haven't seen any disconnects with my RBR50 with v40 loaded. 

Also be aware of this: https://kb.netgear.com/000061420/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-3-5-34-Hot-Fix

Good Luck. 

@GreyBat wrote:

Message 13 of 18
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Please try a factory reset...................

Factory reset is for lost password

Message 14 of 18
GreyBat
Aspirant

For completeness, I should say that I have done a manual update to V40 mainly to see whether it helped with device renaming. It didn't! But it doesn't seem to have broken anything either.

(Apologies in advance if this incurs the wrath of @Retired_Member !)

Message 15 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you factory reset the RBR after updating to v40 or just updated and continue? I have v40 loaded however I haven't had a chance to check the device naming issue has of yet. I do performe resets and setup from scratch with my routers. I'll check this today after work. 

@GreyBat wrote:

For completeness, I should say that I have done a manual update to V40 mainly to see whether it helped with device renaming. It didn't! But it doesn't seem to have broken anything either.

Message 16 of 18
GreyBat
Aspirant

No. I have not done a reset. That remains a last resort!

As for the device naming issue, it's a mess! Some attached devices won't accept any changes, some allow the icon to be changed but not the details, some allow destails to be changed then revert the next day, and it appears some changed details get attached to a different device altogether. Also changes to device names made during address reservations are generally not carried over to the attached devices list, but (sometimes, at least) a change to the device name in attached devices will appear in the address resevations list. Apart from that, no problemSmiley Happy

Message 17 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Ive notice that the device name and type don't seem to change upon saving new information. I can change the device icon is all and that seems to work. I think we'll have to wait for updated FW for this to be fixed. Or revert back to v30 if you need the name and type information to work. 

Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7