Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50 - Using Wi-Fi when internet is off / down?

BrettStark
Aspirant

RBR50 - Using Wi-Fi when internet is off / down?

Hi - If internet is down or even, i turn it off for whatever reason -how i can i still use my wi-fi? I still should be able to ie use Plex in the house or even Sonos System.

thx

Brett

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 2
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: RBR50 - Using Wi-Fi when internet is off / down?

@BrettStark wrote:

Hi - If internet is down or even, i turn it off for whatever reason -how i can i still use my wi-fi? I still should be able to ie use Plex in the house or even Sonos System.

Orbi WiFi should be independent of the internet.  Anything that functions without the internet should still work.

Last year, we had an inquiry about exactly this topic and I asked, "Why would anyone want WiFi and have no internet?"  The answer was, "We run a medical mission in the Carribean and use computers for medical records and printing, but have no internet connection."

It's pretty easy to test.  Power off the modem and then send a document to a printer on the network.  As long as Sonos or Plex needs no internet (not even one single packet), it should work as well.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7