Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50 WiFi Calling Quit Working

57mchan
Tutor

RBR50 WiFi Calling Quit Working

Our WiFi Calling capabilities stopped working yesterday on both mine and my wife’s iPhone 6s cell phones that are running current iOS version 11.4.1. WiFi Calling had been working quite well since purchasing our Orbi system in October 2017. I have reset the router twice, once through the interface and again with hardware using the reset button and a paper clip. I have taken my phone to another network and WiFi Calling works there. Our Orbi is running firmware V2.1.4.16. and the one and only satellite is as well. I called my ISP and they did not feel anything on their end was causing the problem since my internet connection was working great otherwise.

Any ideas what I should try next?

Thanks,

Doug

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 1 of 11
pmajor
Aspirant

Re: RBR50 WiFi Calling Quit Working

I'm in the UK on EE. I couldn't get Wi-Fi calling to work until I changed one of the settings... unfortunately I can't remember which one of the two settings it was...

it was either:

NAT Filtering - Disable SIP ALG

-or-

Disable IMGP proxying

Both are on the Advanced > Setup > WAN Setup page

Message 2 of 11
pmajor
Aspirant

Googling around, I think it was "Disable SIP ALG".

I couldn't get WiFi calling to work at home, even though it would work at the office.

I came across this article that indicates that it's poorly implemented on many routers:

https://www.voicehost.co.uk/help/sip-alg-and-why-it-should-be-disabled-your-router

I enabled the "disable" option, and it all started magically working.

Note: I didn't disable Port Scan and DoS Protection as the post also suggests... that doesn't sound like a good idea

Message 3 of 11
57mchan
Tutor

Thanks for the suggestions. I located and made your recommneded changes but WiFi Calling still is not working. I will keep looking for ideas.

I am still not convinced my ISP has not inadvertently made some update that is causing this. I will try to get my hands on a different router to see if it is the Orbi or not.

Message 4 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

hat is the Mfr and model# of the IP modem the Orbi is connected too? 

Has the wifi calling been working on FW 2.1.6.14? When was the FW updated on the Orbi? I presume if wifi calling had been working on v.14 and nothing else has changed on the Orbi, that your problem maybe with the phones or the ISP...

I have wifi calling enabled on my 6sP and its working. 

SIP should be alwasy enabled as it's for voice communications over routers. 

Message 5 of 11
57mchan
Tutor

I don’t recall when the firmware was updated, so I know WiFi Calling has worked since the last update to v.14.

My ISP setup is kind of unique. I live out in the country and have a wireless broadband service provider. And this ISP leases space on my tower. So, as part of the lease, I have a cat 5e cable running from my Orbi router out to the tower and into an ISP owned switch. It is small cheap Dynex DX-GB8PRT and has several items connected, service to me being just one of the items.  That switch gets its input from something installed up the tower.

I have set the SIP back to default of being on after my test.

Thanks,

Doug

Message 6 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

You might power OFF the ORbi and satellites for 1 minute or two, then power them back on and test.

I can't find much info on this switch:

https://www.dynexproducts.com/pdp/DX-GB8PRT/1570067

https://www.amazon.com/GIGABIT-ETHERNET-SWITCH-DX-GB8PRT-PACKAGING/dp/B004MF1BZW

Not sure if it's managed or non managed. There as been users reporting issues with Orbi systems and managed switches. I don't think this one is managed.

You might power OFF the switch for 1 or two minuts as well if you have access to the switch while you do the same with the orbi. Then last power ON the Orbi system and test. 

Message 7 of 11
57mchan
Tutor

I took the Orbi down and put an older Linksys E3200 router in service.  It still works, but never worked for WiFi calling which is one reason for the purchase of the Orbi.  I put the LinkSys back in service to convince my better half that she did not get better cell service back when it was our router, but our cell service has degraded (thanks AT&T).  It also let me leave the Orbi out of service for a couple hours. Put the Orbi back in service and no change. Still no WiFi calling. I contacted my ISP and they are sending me one of their routers. Once it is installed, we will see if I have WiFi calling then. I expect not, but the ISP support can then escalate.

As far as removing power from the Dynex switch, I do not feel authorized to do that. The ISP has too many other devices connected.

Thanks,

Doug

Message 8 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how it goes. Feel this maybe an ISP issue.

Suggestion, find you a ATT Microcell if you are having low signals at your house. I live in a corner area on the outskirts of town and signal has always been very low on phones at home. I found that adding a ATT microcell greatly helps.

You can get them new from ATT or used ones on ebay.

Message 9 of 11
57mchan
Tutor

I want to mention a couple things.

First, somewhere in this conversation, we started to talk about  the firmware being v.14. My version is V2.1.4.16 and has been for sometime.

Second, my WiFi calling started working again yesterday around 5:00 PM (CST) for reasons unknown to me. Still running the Orbi and no settings have I changed. I personally think someone at my ISP changed something but no one wants to own up.

Thanks for everyones suggestions, help and time.

Doug

Message 10 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad it's working. Seems like it was an ISP issue.

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7