Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: WiFi performance issues

sjthespian
Guide

RBR50 - WiFi performance issues

Like others on the community forums, I have random wifi drops and slow performance with my Orbi RBR50 (with two satellites). I run the Orbi in AP mode since I already have a firewall and router.  In fact, I have a farily extensive home network with an assortment of systems and IoT devices. Everything is fine without the Orbi, whether I pull out my Netgear Nighthawk or my old Cisco AP. The Orbi is great after a power-cycle, but performance slowly degrades over time until it becomes almost unsuable from *any* device connected to the wifi -- MacBook Pro, assorted iPhones or android tablets or even simple embedded devcies that are only sending a small HTTP request every 15 seconds.

The Orbi of course shows solid connections to both satellites.

And I have tried all of the suggestions from this forum post and others, all to no avail (changing 2.4GHz channels, disabling assorted settings, etc). It also affects all devcies using the Orib, whether 2.4 or 5 GHz. And it isn't anything as simple as a saturated network connection, the uplink at the moment is runnign at only 100Kb at the moment, while my iPhone can't even downlaod a simple web page on the WiFi. Hard-wired systems all work fine. It also affect any wifi traffic whether to the Internet or other system in the house. The only thing that is consistent is that it works after a reboot and degrades over time.

I even took a walk around the house with a couple of Android wifi scanning apps and signal strengh is great everywhere.

If only this thing supported syslog (or any other sort of logging) I could get it to log to my server and see if there were any errors or other intersting messages.

I pointed my smokeping install at my Ring Doorbell (on the WiFi at 5 GHz). You can see how poor the reponse gets periodically with ping responses as high as 11 sec at some times. When it isn't bad the average is closer to 10 ms. The pair of 2 GHz devices I pointed smokeping at show similar trends, although not as bad with the normal average being around 5 ms and the peaks at 1.5 sec.

I also tried turning off one of the satellites Thu afternoon, as far as I can tell it made virtually no difference.

My Setup (DSL -> pfSense firewall -> Cisco 3750 -> RBR50)

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 1 of 14
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Nice post....just a guess and I'm sure you've already done this...but you may want to check the way you have the 'old' router and the Orbi in its AP mode interacting.  It sounds like the 'old' router and Orbi and fighting and the AP mode maynot be properly configured.  Just a guess.

Message 2 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

What FW was this tested with?

Message 3 of 14
sjthespian
Guide

Thanks, but the old router is in a box in the garage. 🙂  I only drag it out for testing and I power off the Orbi in that case.

Message 4 of 14
sjthespian
Guide

The house is a single story, roughly 1600 sq. ft.

The orbi and single satellite that is current turned on are about 35 feet away from each other. The second one was just about 30 feet, I have it off to see if that made any difference, which it didn't -- although I do plan on moving it one room further over to give me about 40' of separation.

I've played with channels multiple times, it doesn't make any difference. I'm in a corner house, so only have two neighbors with wifi and we're on different channels. Currently I'm showing as the only one on channel 1 in the 2.4 GHz range, one neighbor is on 6 and the other on 11. In the 5 GHz range, my wifi analyzer is showing me as the only one there with a nice broad signal centerd on channel 42. Everyone else is up on 161. However, since the problem exists both on 2.4 and 5 GHz, I don't think it's a channel issue.

I have also tried just about every combination of 20/40 coexistance, WMM , MIMO, fast roaming, and beamforming settings with no change in the problem. Daisy chain is also currently disabled (not that it matters with only a single satellite running).

I'm on V2.1.4.16. I posted in the beta thread to see if I can get the latest 2.2 and give that a try.

Message 5 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

1600 sq ft maybe too small of a home to use the base router and satellite. The router alone can cover up to aound 2000sq ft.

Might try some testing with just the router alone and see what you find.

I presume since the .v210 has been release, might not be beta anymore. If you do get something, even the v.210, download the files first and manually installed them. Satellite first then router. I recommend doing a factory reset and set up from scratch. There maybe code changes that may conflict with older FW code with just updating and continuing which seems to give some users problems. So I would start clean and with a fresh slate after updating FW.

@sjthespian wrote:

The house is a single story, roughly 1600 sq. ft.

The orbi and single satellite that is current turned on are about 35 feet away from each other. The second one was just about 30 feet, I have it off to see if that made any difference, which it didn't -- although I do plan on moving it one room further over to give me about 40' of separation.

I've played with channels multiple times, it doesn't make any difference. I'm in a corner house, so only have two neighbors with wifi and we're on different channels. Currently I'm showing as the only one on channel 1 in the 2.4 GHz range, one neighbor is on 6 and the other on 11. In the 5 GHz range, my wifi analyzer is showing me as the only one there with a nice broad signal centerd on channel 42. Everyone else is up on 161. However, since the problem exists both on 2.4 and 5 GHz, I don't think it's a channel issue.

I have also tried just about every combination of 20/40 coexistance, WMM , MIMO, fast roaming, and beamforming settings with no change in the problem. Daisy chain is also currently disabled (not that it matters with only a single satellite running).

I'm on V2.1.4.16. I posted in the beta thread to see if I can get the latest 2.2 and give that a try.

Message 6 of 14
sjthespian
Guide

Well that's funny, I would swear that 2.2.1.210 wasn't there when I looked just the other day. I'm downloading it now and will give the upgrade a try. Thanks for pointing out that it is out!

Message 7 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Was posted on the 3rd.

Let us know how it goes...

Message 8 of 14
sjthespian
Guide

So, after a wekkend of testing various scenarios, I still haven't solved the problem. Upgrading the firwmare helped a bit, the delays dropped to only 5 sec or so when they happen. I have since turned off both satellites, and that appears to have helped a bit more, now the delays are down to less than a second -- but that's still enough to make the wifi painful to use. Here is a current graph of the past three hours from smokeping, along with a 10-day graph that shows how it has decreased during the testing (the 10-day doesn't show the 10s peaks since they get averaged out)

Last 3 hoursLast 3 hoursLast 10 daysLast 10 days

Message 9 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Wondering if you might have a bad system HW wise. Might try a different system or another for a quick test.

Message 10 of 14
sjthespian
Guide

I'm thinking I may just redeploy my old AP and write off the Orbi as a bad purchase. I have an extended warranty from my credit card, so I will likely just file a claim with them since the Netgear warranty is expired (by about 3 months).

From reading the forums, I'm not the only one having issues like these. Since Netgear gives you no way to contact support after the warranty period other than throwing more money (roughly 50% of the cost of the Orbi to extend the support for another 12 months) at them, I'm not likely to purchase another Netgear product. I can replace it with a refurbished RBR50 for less than the $139 they want to extend the warranty!

Message 11 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Seems like the system is bad. Might ask NG support about an RMA. If not, see about getting it refunded if you can return it with your CC.

@Christian_R

Sorry it didn't work out for you.

Message 12 of 14
sjthespian
Guide

As far as I can tell there is no way to contact Netgear Support if you are outside of warranty w/o paying them more money. Clicking on "Contact Support" from "My Support" gives me a blank page.

Message 13 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Send @Christian_R a PM and ask him for help and information.

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7