Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50 Wifi dropouts

Ftony
Aspirant

RBR50 Wifi dropouts

I'm getting constant Wifi drop outs on my Orbi router and Orbi satellite. I tried the following from Netgear, but no luck even when I tried every option over 1 month. 

Netgear make it sooo hard to lodge a new support issues. 

Firmware V2.2.1.210, OS MAC Mojave 10.14.2

Does anyone have any advice on how I can fix this? My Internet Service provider cheap modem/router performed better than Orbi which defeats the reason why I bought an Orbi. 

========================================================

from netgear support

1. Please login to www.orbilogin.net on a computer or any device connected to Orbi.
2. Once logged in, go to Wireless in Basic tab.
3. Please change the 2.4 GHz channel to 1, 6 or 11 and change 5 GHz channel to 44 or 48 and click apply. You can test each channel to see if there is any improvement or not.
4. Once done, go to Advanced tab>Advanced setup>Wireless settings.
5. Check if there is an option about Mu-Mimo and fast roaming. If you see if enabled, please disable it. If it is disabled, please enable it and click apply. In Advanced setup, if you see Daisychain option, please disable it and click apply.
6. Go to Advanced tab>Setup>WAN setup. Please change the MTU Size to 1492 and click apply.

Once done, please restart your Orbi router and satellites and observe the connection for a day. If the problem persists, please try to turn off your Orbi satellite and just observe the connection of your Orbi route so that we can isolate if the problem is being caused by the orbi router or the satellite.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 15
ekhalil
Master

Re: RBR50 Wifi dropouts

Can you please describe your setup so that we can help. What ISP modem/router is Orbi connected to? Is it a modem or router?

Are you using wired or wireless backhaul? Are you seeing the dropouts from specific devices or all devices?

Do you have any wired devices connected to Orbi router or satellite? what type of wired devices?

Message 2 of 15
Ftony
Aspirant

I'm using the RBR50 as the router and modem, connected to fibre. 

There is no issue with the fibre connection, as I have a laptop connected via ethernet cable and check the connection during the dropouts and am getting 100mbs down. 

The dropouts occur on wifi on Mac laptops, iPhones, and Android TV. Basically all my devices. 

Using wireless backhaul from the satellite. I have turned off the satellite and tried to isolate that as the issue, but still get dropouts even when it is turned off. 

Wired devices connected to the Obri Router - Synology NAS and MacBook Pro laptop.

Wired devices connected to the the satellite - Nvidea Shield TV 

I also have a number of Sonos wireless speakers using a sonos bridge. 

Message 3 of 15
ekhalil
Master

@Ftony wrote:

I also have a number of Sonos wireless speakers using a sonos bridge. 

I guess that the Sonos Bridge is wired to Orbi, right? If it is please test to disconnect it and see if it you will see any performance improvement.

Current Orbi software seems to have issues with some wired devices.

Message 4 of 15
Ftony
Aspirant

Sure, I will give that a go and monitor it for a few days. 

Thanks for your help so far. 

Message 5 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
What WPA security modes are you using?

Try disabling the following and see:
MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).
Disney Circle: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/WARNING-Firmware-2-2-1-210-is-junk/m-p/1667485/highlight/true#...

If you updated to recent FW v.210, try enabling Daisy Chain. Some have mentioned that this seems to be working in reverse order, enabling means disabled actually. https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBK50-Backhaul-Status-Poor-After-Firmware-Update-2-1-4-16/m-p/...
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/quot-Reverse-quot-Daisy-Chain-issue-any-update/m-p/1653439
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-RBR50-Slow-Wired-WAN-after-2-2-1-210-Upgrade/m-p/1667058/...

@Ftony wrote:

I'm getting constant Wifi drop outs on my Orbi router and Orbi satellite. I tried the following from Netgear, but no luck even when I tried every option over 1 month. 

Netgear make it sooo hard to lodge a new support issues. 

Firmware V2.2.1.210, OS MAC Mojave 10.14.2

Does anyone have any advice on how I can fix this? My Internet Service provider cheap modem/router performed better than Orbi which defeats the reason why I bought an Orbi. 

========================================================

from netgear support

1. Please login to www.orbilogin.net on a computer or any device connected to Orbi.
2. Once logged in, go to Wireless in Basic tab.
3. Please change the 2.4 GHz channel to 1, 6 or 11 and change 5 GHz channel to 44 or 48 and click apply. You can test each channel to see if there is any improvement or not.
4. Once done, go to Advanced tab>Advanced setup>Wireless settings.
5. Check if there is an option about Mu-Mimo and fast roaming. If you see if enabled, please disable it. If it is disabled, please enable it and click apply. In Advanced setup, if you see Daisychain option, please disable it and click apply.
6. Go to Advanced tab>Setup>WAN setup. Please change the MTU Size to 1492 and click apply.

Once done, please restart your Orbi router and satellites and observe the connection for a day. If the problem persists, please try to turn off your Orbi satellite and just observe the connection of your Orbi route so that we can isolate if the problem is being caused by the orbi router or the satellite.

Message 6 of 15
ekhalil
Master

@Ftony wrote:

Sure, I will give that a go and monitor it for a few days. 

Thanks for your help so far. 

@Ftony, any conclusions yet? 😉

Message 7 of 15
Ftony
Aspirant

Currently on holiday, so will check next week when I’m back. Thanks 😀
Message 8 of 15
Ftony
Aspirant

My orbi is running in Router mode.

Firewall is Norton security. 

The house is about 1700 sq ft, the satellite is probably about 30 feet away, but upstairs. 

Yes there are wifi networks from my neighbours, I can see 3 other networks.

I'm using WPA2-PSK [AES]

I am using Disney circle

Message 9 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Try disabling Circle...

Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

@Ftony wrote:

My orbi is running in Router mode.

Firewall is Norton security. 

The house is about 1700 sq ft, the satellite is probably about 30 feet away, but upstairs. 

Yes there are wifi networks from my neighbours, I can see 3 other networks.

I'm using WPA2-PSK [AES]

I am using Disney circle

Message 10 of 15
Ftony
Aspirant

I've disabled circle and have the 2.4Ghz channel set to 6, also tried 1 and 11. 5Ghz set to 48. 

Still getting wifi drop outs. Oddly enough, some devices will have wifi working ok, whilst at the same time others will keep working. It's not specific to the device/computer. 

I maybe wrong, but I think all this started when the 210 firmware upgrade was installed. 

I had seemless wifi when I first got Orbi from about Jun 2018 to Sep 2018. Can I go back to a previous stable firmware version?

Message 11 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

I would download v210 files for the router and satellies. Use IE11 or FF with a wire connected PC and send the FW file to the satellite(s) first. Then send the router FW file lastly. After the FW is sent and processed, factory reset the satellite(s) AND router. Set up the router from scratch, set manual channels again and then add just one satellite for now. Be sure it's placement is about 30 feet away from the router. Also put a check mark in Daisy Chain. Ensure Beamforming is enabled and MIMO and Fast Roaming are disabled. Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings.

@Ftony wrote:

I've disabled circle and have the 2.4Ghz channel set to 6, also tried 1 and 11. 5Ghz set to 48. 

Still getting wifi drop outs. Oddly enough, some devices will have wifi working ok, whilst at the same time others will keep working. It's not specific to the device/computer. 

I maybe wrong, but I think all this started when the 210 firmware upgrade was installed. 

I had seemless wifi when I first got Orbi from about Jun 2018 to Sep 2018. Can I go back to a previous stable firmware version?

Message 12 of 15
ekhalil
Master

@Ftony wrote:

So disconnecting the wired Sonos Bridge did not make any difference?

Message 13 of 15
Ftony
Aspirant

I have removed all wired connections to the Orbi router and will monitor this for 1 day.

Does this mean that orbi does not support wired connections to the router? Or is there a firmware fix coming for this?

Message 14 of 15
ekhalil
Master

@Ftony wrote:

I have removed all wired connections to the Orbi router and will monitor this for 1 day.

Does this mean that orbi does not support wired connections to the router? Or is there a firmware fix coming for this?

Orbi support wired devices and that's why the nodes have LAN ports!

I only noticed that the current software (2.2.1.210) is sometimes sensitive to some wired devices, probably since the major changes in the software were directed to wired ethernet support. I hope that these bugs will be addressed in the comming SW releases. 

This suggestion was only for troubleshooting to confirm that this is the issue impacting your setup. 

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7