Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR50 Wifi speed is slow near the router, but faster near satellite

studioj
Aspirant

RBR50 Wifi speed is slow near the router, but faster near satellite

Hi,

I have newly installed 1000mbps fiber. My Orbi router (which I'm just using as a connection point) is hardwired to att router modem and Orbi wireless satellites are in other areas of house. Oddly when I am right next to the orbi router and connected to orbi wifi i am only getting about 50mbps. But if I move close to one of the satellites (wireless), it jumps up to 150-200 mbps. Any ideas why this might be? is there an interferance issue? In contrast if I connect to the ATT wifi near the router and modem, i get 500mbps. Thank you.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
studioj
Aspirant

I changed the 2.4 ghz channel on the orbi to 2 (it was on 1) and that seemed to fix it. Although this change also slowed down the satellite a bit now. but they are both pretty fast after that tweak : 400 at the router, and 125 or so at the satellite. 

Message 2 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

@studioj wrote:

In contrast if I connect to the ATT wifi near the router and modem, i get 500mbps. Thank you.

Having two WiFi systems "right next to each other" is likely to lead to interference, especially on the 2.4G channels.  If both the Orbi and the AT&T WiFi are on the same exact channel, for example, the interference would be horrible.

Most Orbi purchasers disable the ISP WiFi and use only the Orbi. (That is why they purchased Orbi in the first place.)

Message 3 of 6
studioj
Aspirant

Thanks. Yes I'll try disabling it and putting the Orbi back to channel 1 and see how that affects things, makes sense.

Message 4 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

Which 2.4G channel to use is a matter of pretty intense discussion on the forum.  It is widely understood that the 2.4G channels "overlap" and that only channels 1, 6, and 11 do not overlap with each other.  When planning a corporate deployment, for example, people typically assign channels to access points in sort of a "hopscotch" pattern where adjacent access points have channels that do not overlap.

In the residential area, the Orbi owner has control over only a single access point (his own).  So, his Orbi can be set to channel X and there is nothing to stop his neighbor from setting an access point to the same channel.  For this reason, most WiFi systems periodically scan the WiFi space, detect what other WiFi networks are set to, and adjust their channel to the one that gives the best performance.  If people on both sides of me have chosen 1, 6, and 11, my Orbi may decide that "3" or "9" gives the best performance right now.

So, I leave my Orbi on "Auto" and let the Orbi decide what channel it likes and when it wants to change.  (My guess is that many of my neighbors have similar WiFi networks.)  Is there a "right answer"?  Beats me.

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

@studioj wrote:

Hi,

I have newly installed 1000mbps fiber. My Orbi router (which I'm just using as a connection point) is hardwired to att router modem and Orbi wireless satellites are in other areas of house. Oddly when I am right next to the orbi router and connected to orbi wifi i am only getting about 50mbps. But if I move close to one of the satellites (wireless), it jumps up to 150-200 mbps. Any ideas why this might be? is there an interferance issue? In contrast if I connect to the ATT wifi near the router and modem, i get 500mbps. Thank you.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7