Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50 Wifi works, internet dropping out intermittently.

Orbidukes
Follower

RBR50 Wifi works, internet dropping out intermittently.

Over the past few weeks, Ive noticed that my Orbi router completely loses internet connectivity while the wifi remains consistant. I purchased the Orbi system that included two satellites in 2017 and have been using the same cable modem without any issues until now.

The first time it happened a few weeks ago, I rebooted both the cable modem and the router thinking it was a cable/modem outage issue. The next three times I only rebooted the Orbi router and the issue was resolved, temporarily. I havent changed anything on the network,moved or added any devices. My cable modem does not include wifi.

I checked for a firmware update and have the newest firmware 2.3.1.44.  Im wondering if the newest firmware update caused the issue.

I use cablevision as my internet provider with an arris modem.  I believe the model is tm1602.  I usually obtain speeds at 200 mbps. My Orbi router is the RBR50.

Whats the best way to trouble shoot this? 

Message 1 of 2
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR50 Wifi works, internet dropping out intermittently.

Seeing issues with Orbi and Arris TM1602s lately.

Try a reset on the RBR and setup from scratch. While the RBR is being reset, power OFF the Arris modem for 1 minute, then back on. Then walk thru the Orbi setup wizard with a wired PC. 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
What WPA security modes are you using?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

@Orbidukes wrote:

Over the past few weeks, Ive noticed that my Orbi router completely loses internet connectivity while the wifi remains consistant. I purchased the Orbi system that included two satellites in 2017 and have been using the same cable modem without any issues until now.

The first time it happened a few weeks ago, I rebooted both the cable modem and the router thinking it was a cable/modem outage issue. The next three times I only rebooted the Orbi router and the issue was resolved, temporarily. I havent changed anything on the network,moved or added any devices. My cable modem does not include wifi.

I checked for a firmware update and have the newest firmware 2.3.1.44.  Im wondering if the newest firmware update caused the issue.

I use cablevision as my internet provider with an arris modem.  I believe the model is tm1602.  I usually obtain speeds at 200 mbps. My Orbi router is the RBR50.

Whats the best way to trouble shoot this? 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7