Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR50 Wireless Throughput Low

ElCapo
Luminary

RBR50 Wireless Throughput Low

Hi

I have a RBR50 set up with Ethernet Backhaul.  All been running good.

Recently my son was trying to stream a game from PC through to his Oculus Quest 2 VR headset.  When doing so he reports a lag.

I ran an iperf check on my network, with a network card connected laptop as server, and another laptop as client.  One test with a network cable, the second test with wireless.

The throughput result for cable connected client was between 400-500Mbits/sec

The throughput result for wireless connected client was between 50-60Mbits/sec

I would have expected a much higher throughput on these wireless tests.  Can anyone shed any light?  Are there any further tests or configurations I can make to improve.

Thanks

el capo

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 11
plemans
Guru

From what I understand the client was testing hardwired in and wireless to the satellite. Is this correct?

Was the client connected to the 2.4ghz or 5ghz? 

2.4ghz is much much slower than 5ghz? 

Message 2 of 11
ElCapo
Luminary

Hi

Thanks for response.

The laptop client is wireless and connected over 5Ghz.

The results (50-60Mbits/sec) above was when i ran the following iperf command:

- iperf3 -c 10.0.0.79 -t 20 -p 2000 -w 40k

When i ran with higher packet size (command below) i was getting an average of 140Mbits/sec

- iperf3 -c 10.0.0.79 -t 20 -p 2000 -w 1000k

But this is still lower than i would expect.

Message 3 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

One User Experience/Configuration:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

You can find other speed diagnosis steps in the community faq: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/Community-FAQ-My-Orbi-speeds-are-slow-inconsistent-and-don-...

@ElCapo wrote:

Hi

I have a RBR50 set up with Ethernet Backhaul.  All been running good.

Recently my son was trying to stream a game from PC through to his Oculus Quest 2 VR headset.  When doing so he reports a lag.

I ran an iperf check on my network, with a network card connected laptop as server, and another laptop as client.  One test with a network cable, the second test with wireless.

I would have expected a much higher throughput on these wireless tests.  Can anyone shed any light?  Are there any further tests or configurations I can make to improve.

Thanks

el capo

Message 4 of 11
ElCapo
Luminary

Hi Flurrye38 (I remember you from helping me out before 🙂 )

Some answers below:

What Firmware version is currently loaded? - 2.5.1.16
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too? - Orbi set up in Router Mode connected to Netgear DM200-100EUS modem

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft? Approx 1750sq ft.  (I think, rough measures)
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.  Note these are Backhaul connected.  Probably over 30ft apart

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many? Neighbours either side but these are detached houses with 3-4m between them.

Armor (already disabled), Circle (already disabled), Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming (already disabled), IPv6 (already disabled) and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Couple of questions:

Can i disable Daisy Chain with Ethernet Backhaul?

When you say set to 40Mhz, do i do that by unticking the box 20/40 Mhz Co-existence

Any further advice following the information above?

Message 5 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

@ElCapo wrote:

Hi Flurrye38 (I remember you from helping me out before 🙂 )

Some answers below:

What Firmware version is currently loaded? - 2.5.1.16
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too? - Orbi set up in Router Mode connected to Netgear DM200-100EUS modem

What mode is the modem working in? router or modem only mode? This model modem has a built in router and wifi I believe. 

This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktopboards 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft? Approx 1750sq ft.  (I think, rough measures)
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.  Note these are Backhaul connected.  Probably over 30ft apart

Regardless of wired or wireless, 30 feet or more is still recommended.

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many? Neighbours either side but these are detached houses with 3-4m between them.

Try using different channels too if there not being used by your nieghbors. 

Armor (already disabled), Circle (already disabled), Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming (already disabled), IPv6 (already disabled) and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

I will give some of the above a try and report back.  Any further advice following the information above?

Can i disable Daisy Chain with Ethernet Backhaul? YES

Message 6 of 11
plemans
Guru

@FURRYe38 is correct in that  the DM200 has an integrated router. It doesn't have wifi but it can cause a double nat. 

Message 7 of 11
ElCapo
Luminary

Hi both

Thanks for the responses

The modem is set up in bridge mode so only my Orbi is acting as the router.

Message 8 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, thanks for confirming the mode. 

Hope the other changes will work.

One User Experience/Configuration:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

You can find other speed diagnosis steps in the community faq: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/Community-FAQ-My-Orbi-speeds-are-slow-inconsistent-and-don-...

Message 9 of 11
ElCapo
Luminary

Guys

not sure if you got any experience in this.  But how would you test speed across your wifi?  And what should I expect to see on 2.4ghz and 5ghz?

As per above, I am using Iperf to test, but not really sure if i am setting it correctly or if the results i get are refective.

with the command iperf3 -c 10/.0.0.79 -t 20 -p 2000 -w1000k 

I get anything from 180mbits/sec and 360mbits/sec

Hard to know for sure what I should be expcting to see.

Message 10 of 11
fmalloy
Luminary

@ElCapo wrote:

Multiple people have encountered this issue, including myself. I have an RBR20, and I get expected wireless speed for about 4-7 days, then the wireless speed (all clients) drops to ~45Mbps while wired clients enjoy expected speed (~200Mbps). We have found that a reboot of the router is the only thing (so far) that brings back the speed...for another 4-7 days and the cycle repeats.

If you reboot your RBR50 does the wireless speed return?

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7