Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR50 & CAX80 Conflict

It_might_be
Aspirant

RBR50 & CAX80 Conflict

I have been using an RBR50 and satellites for a couple of years now. I recently upgraded cable service and bought a CAX80.  RBR50 and CAX80 wifi's conflicted with each other (including in access point mode for the RBR50's) and I have had to turn off the wifi on the CAX80 and reset the RBR50 back to factory settings and am now using only the RBR50 and satelites to provide wifi. System, has now been stable and not dropped for about 3 days (was dropping daily before).

Issue I am having is that I cannot see the RBR50 anylonger. I have tried all advertised login options: orbilogin.com, orbilogin.net., 192.168.1.1, 10.0.0.1  as well as trying to access the IP address that the CAX80 has assigned the Orbi. 

I would like to access the Orbi interface directly, but have run out of ideas. 

Thank you.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

On the CAX80 there is a menu option under Advanced tab/Advanced Settings/Router mode. Select NO. 

@It_might_be wrote:

So how would I go about that? 

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 14

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

If the Orbi has been "Factory Reset", then it would be in router mode.

It is getting an IP address from the CAX80 and has created a private subnet for everything connected to the Orbi.

So, if a computer is wired to the CAX80 (no WiFi on the CAX80), you cannot connect to the Orbi because it does not accept connections "from the internet" - which the CAX80 appears to be to the Orbi.

If a computer is connected to the Orbi, then whatever the Network Settings show for the "Gateway" IP address will be the Orbi, and it will accept connections from the LAN side.

Message 2 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

If your wanting to use the Orbi as wifi and a router, it's best to change the CAX80 to Modem mode.

@It_might_be wrote:

I have been using an RBR50 and satellites for a couple of years now. I recently upgraded cable service and bought a CAX80.  RBR50 and CAX80 wifi's conflicted with each other (including in access point mode for the RBR50's) and I have had to turn off the wifi on the CAX80 and reset the RBR50 back to factory settings and am now using only the RBR50 and satelites to provide wifi. System, has now been stable and not dropped for about 3 days (was dropping daily before).

Issue I am having is that I cannot see the RBR50 anylonger. I have tried all advertised login options: orbilogin.com, orbilogin.net., 192.168.1.1, 10.0.0.1  as well as trying to access the IP address that the CAX80 has assigned the Orbi. 

I would like to access the Orbi interface directly, but have run out of ideas. 

Thank you.

Message 3 of 14
It_might_be
Aspirant

Message 4 of 14
It_might_be
Aspirant

Yes, Orbi is in router mode. However, computer is conected via wifi to the internet. It is not hardwired (not Lan connected to orbi).  I will note that I also cannot connect to the orbi from my iphone via the app.

Message 5 of 14
CrimpOn
Guru

@It_might_be wrote:

It might be worth taking a minute to review the options.  There are a number of reasons to avoid having "two routers" in a home network:

https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT If having two routers does in fact "cause problems" (and many times it does not), there are two generally accepted solutions:

• Put the first "combo modem/router/WiFi" device into "bridge" or "Passthrough" mode and disable any WiFi capability, or
  • Leave the first router as the router (but disable WiFi), and put the Orbi into Access Point (AP) mode.  This leaves the primary router handling all DHCP functions, port forwarding, VPN, etc. etc. while benefitting from the "mesh" capabilities of the Orbi WiFi.

So, which one to choose?

The Orbi was designed in 2016 and a number of the expected features never materialized. (no ReadyShare USB hard drives. No FTP server. No "scheduled WiFi", etc. etc.)  The CAX80 User Manual is dated 2020 and it appears to have all of those features.  i.e. more features than the Orbi.

Only you can decide which solution works for you.

• Leave it alone until "something doesn't work" and you are required to do something.
  • Put the Orbi into AP mode
  • Read the CAX80 User Manual and look in the "Advanced Menu" until you find a way to put it into bridge mode.
Message 6 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

On the CAX80 there is a menu option under Advanced tab/Advanced Settings/Router mode. Select NO. 

@It_might_be wrote:

Message 7 of 14
It_might_be
Aspirant

Thank you, this worked. I can now access my Orbi

Message 8 of 14
It_might_be
Aspirant

Thank you for the feedback. We basically came to the same conclusion about the Orbi at this point not being at the front end of wifi capability. I have decided to change out the Orbi for a Nighthawk AX8 mesh extender. Didn't make much sense to get a CAX80 and pair it with the Orbi RBR50 and lose all of the (expensive) wifi features of the CAX80 router. 

Message 9 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

If you decide to use the CAX80 in router mode and your main wifi, you could add on a EAX80 extender for additional coverage. 

Message 10 of 14
It_might_be
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

If you decide to use the CAX80 in router mode and your main wifi, you could add on a EAX80 extender for additional coverage. 

Got the EAX80 and set it up last night. Internet dropped this morning, had to reboot. About to return the whole thing and go an entirely different route. Not impressed. It can't be this hard.

Message 11 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

So CAX80 in router mode and EAX80 as extender only? no Orbi was online right? 

Message 12 of 14
It_might_be
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

So CAX80 in router mode and EAX80 as extender only? no Orbi was online right? 

Had CAX and EAX connected, EAX on main wifi. Had Orbi satellites (router disconnected and put away) as access points for guest wifi. Still dropped internet.

Bought an Arris modem, reconnected Orbi RBR50 router and satellites, no issues for 4 days. 

At this point, the only thing left to try would be to install CAX and EAX without using the Orbi's as access points and see what happens. But, even if that were to solve the instability problems with the CAX80 (and I do not know why that would be the case since the Orbi satellites can definitely be used as access points), the set up will not work for me. The problem being that unlike the Orbi, the EAX80 will only repeat ONE 2.4 and ONE 5 GHz signal (either the main OR the guest for each frequency), and I need both guest and main frequencies repeated throughout.

The amount of trouble shooting I have had to do and the amount of time I have wasted with tech support to get this CAX80 to work is insane. 

Message 13 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

I would presume having the RBS connected when then the CAX80 and EAX80 are online maybe too much. If your going to use the CAX80 and EAX80, those two would be only needed. Otherwise, use the RBK system by itself with placement of the RBSs in good locations and distances. 

30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite
https://kb.netgear.com/000062035/How-many-satellites-can-you-add-to-an-Orbi-WiFi-System

I didn't run my RBS with my CAX80. Just two EX7700s with the CAX. There maybe odd problems with running RBS with CAX80 and EAX. So I would avoid that configuration. 

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7