Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR50 & RBS50 Ethernet Backhaul Speed

jafaruddinlie
Aspirant

RBR50 & RBS50 Ethernet Backhaul Speed

Hi all

This has happened for a while, but I just thought I ask the question now.

So I installed RBR50 and one RBS50 at home about more than a year ago.

I am seeing the ethernet backhaul speed on the satellite is bad.

This is the test I've done: (both are running V2.2.1.210 firmware) from the satellite's original location:

FTP download speed (FTP server is on the local LAN) using MacBook Pro 13" 2018 and USB-C dongle:

1. Plugged into the ethernet port of the router: 80MBps (around 640 Mbps)

2. Plugged into the ethernet port of the satellite: 25MBps (around 200Mbps)

So just for fun, I tested the wireless download speed to the same file, connected to the satellite: 50MBps (around 300Mbps)

I then moved the Satellite into the same room as the router, clear line of sight:

FTP download speed (FTP server is on the local LAN) using MacBook Pro 13" 2018 and USB-C dongle:

1. Plugged into the ethernet port of the satellite: 25MBps (around 200Mbps)

The wireless download speed improved a little bit to around 60MBps.

IPerf3 test also shows speed around 300Mbps (plugged into the satellite ethernet port). I think I am supposed to be able to get better performance through the ethernet port, is this right?

Model: RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only)
Message 1 of 6
Sevo123
Apprentice

Okay so similar problems here... I have Spectrum gig I get aprox 700-900 mbps hard wired from modem to mac book pro. But orbi RBR50 hardwired to modem and hardwired rbr50 to macbook pro I get 400-500 now from any of my satalites (rbs50) or Router wireless I get 300-380 ... Not sure what to do. I have restarted the units but nothing changed. Its weird before I had 400mbps speeds with spectrum I was getting full 480 mbps wireless & wired... I switched to gig and my orbi system took a dip... My wires are all cat7 so that definitely isn’t the issue.
Message 2 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch if one is in the configuration.

If you updated to recent FW v.210, try enabling Daisy Chain. Some have mentioned that this seems to be working in reverse order, enabling means disabled actually.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-2-2-1-210-and-connection-problems-Skybell/m-p/1649275...

Max speeds you should be seeing is around 90MBps on wired connections using any SMB file read or write or iPerf

FTP isn't a good test to run as FTP typically doesn't support those speeds. Testing with a Shared folder on a NAS or PC and doing read and writes via SMB is more accurate. iPerf as well is a good test tool. 

Using good quality LAN cables like CAT6 is recommended. 

Disable any PC security software as well while testing. 

@jafaruddinlie wrote:

Hi all

This has happened for a while, but I just thought I ask the question now.

So I installed RBR50 and one RBS50 at home about more than a year ago.

I am seeing the ethernet backhaul speed on the satellite is bad.

This is the test I've done: (both are running V2.2.1.210 firmware) from the satellite's original location:

1. Plugged into the ethernet port of the router: 80MBps (around 640 Mbps)

2. Plugged into the ethernet port of the satellite: 25MBps (around 200Mbps)

So just for fun, I tested the wireless download speed to the same file, connected to the satellite: 50MBps (around 300Mbps)

I then moved the Satellite into the same room as the router, clear line of sight:

1. Plugged into the ethernet port of the satellite: 25MBps (around 200Mbps)

The wireless download speed improved a little bit to around 60MBps.

IPerf3 test also shows speed around 300Mbps (plugged into the satellite ethernet port). I think I am supposed to be able to get better performance through the ethernet port, is this right?

Message 3 of 6
jafaruddinlie
Aspirant

Hi @FURRYe38

There is no additional switch, just the ones that come built-in with the router and satellite.

Daisy-chain is already enabled (or at least ticked, from what I can see). I'll try "disabling" it, although I can't seem to find the reference to the issue of misleading GUI on the link that you shared.

Yes, I am seeing speeds around 80MBps through FTP when I am plugged directly into the RBR50 and only 25MBps on the RBS50 as I mentioned on my first post. FTP is as an accurate test as anything for me, because I have a data point that shows I can get good speed downloading from LAN through the router.

Message 4 of 6
ekhalil
Master

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Try disconnecting ALL other devices from the Orbi system accept for the satellite, 1 wired PC and your storage test point. Do a file copy read and write in both directions with a PC and storage point directly connected to the Orbi router and then thru the satellite to see if there are any differences. 

@jafaruddinlie wrote:

Hi @FURRYe38

There is no additional switch, just the ones that come built-in with the router and satellite.

Daisy-chain is already enabled (or at least ticked, from what I can see). I'll try "disabling" it, although I can't seem to find the reference to the issue of misleading GUI on the link that you shared.

Yes, I am seeing speeds around 80MBps through FTP when I am plugged directly into the RBR50 and only 25MBps on the RBS50 as I mentioned on my first post. FTP is as an accurate test as anything for me, because I have a data point that shows I can get good speed downloading from LAN through the router.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7