Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR50 and 2 RBR50S and one wall satellite - STOPPED WORKING

russellmoran99
Luminary

RBR50 and 2 RBR50S and one wall satellite - STOPPED WORKING

I have had my RBR50 (latest firmware is  2.2.1.210) since 11/2016.  I can't get Netgear to support it (surprise).  I came home tonight and all my satellites are magically sharing the same ip address (192.168.1.250) and nothing appears to work unless it's hard wired to the router itself.  I have ATT Uverse (have since the beginning) and it's configured as modem only.  I have turned off all router functions and wifi.  Orib has controlled my internet with little to no problem since 11/2016.  All of a sudden after a VERY long week of working from home, I go to the movies with the family and come home and all satellites are down.  I have reset EVERYTHING, all switches, modems, router, satellites and called ATT Uverse.  I do not know what else to do and REALLY don't want to reset my router and start over (lots of settings changed, none of which have been changed in the last 6-9 months that would cause this problem.) 

My iphone is not working, my IP Phone is not working (ironically it is hard wired), my satellites are not working.   I have disconnected all but 1 satellite to try to resolve the mulitple IP address issue, still no go.  

Any suggestions or fixes to this problem?  

(FYI - Netgear - VERY DISSAPOINTED, been a LIFETIME customer and you won't help over the phone...shame on you.  Last Netgear I'll buy!!!)

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 1 of 15

Accepted Solutions
russellmoran99
Luminary

4 hours later, I changed all my satellites to static via these directions:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/IP-address-for-Satellite/m-p/1289664#M7357

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 15

All Replies
russellmoran99
Luminary

UPDATE : Apparently there was an update I was not aware of.  I subscribe to Netgears emails but was not aware of 2 major updates.  

RBR50  v2.2.1.212 and v2.3.0.32 manual upgrades

RBS50 same upgrades

RBW30 v2.3.0.4

I upgraded all 4 of my devices (2 hours later) and all 3 of my satellites remain on 192.168.1.250.  They previously would get their IP address.  How do I fix this?  Thanks

Message 2 of 15
russellmoran99
Luminary

4 hours later, I changed all my satellites to static via these directions:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/IP-address-for-Satellite/m-p/1289664#M7357

Message 3 of 15
Chuck_M
Mentor

It is not clear if your issue continues after firmware upgrade:  Please let us know.

Message 4 of 15
russellmoran99
Luminary

Yes, the issue still persisted after the firmware upgrades. I had to assign my Satellites separate static IPs. I used .25 .26 .27. That solved my problem.
Message 5 of 15
Chuck_M
Mentor

Good deal.... from what I have seen, it is pretty much a standard practice for orbi owners to reserve IPs for their satellites.

Message 6 of 15
russellmoran99
Luminary

I’ve had mine for 2 years and never had I done this or been told this. I have Orbi at my lake home as well and i have not had to do it there yet. I’m curious as to what has happened to cause this necessity now?
Message 7 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

You might make the IP address pool smaller as well. 192.168.1.100 to .200. This will allow you set static IPs on either side. It's been recommended to set RESERVED IPs for satellites as they do have some odd DCHP handling behavors. 

Any network LAN switches in the mix? 

@russellmoran99 wrote:

I have had my RBR50 (latest firmware is  2.2.1.210) since 11/2016.  I can't get Netgear to support it (surprise).  I came home tonight and all my satellites are magically sharing the same ip address (192.168.1.250) and nothing appears to work unless it's hard wired to the router itself.  I have ATT Uverse (have since the beginning) and it's configured as modem only.  I have turned off all router functions and wifi.  Orib has controlled my internet with little to no problem since 11/2016.  All of a sudden after a VERY long week of working from home, I go to the movies with the family and come home and all satellites are down.  I have reset EVERYTHING, all switches, modems, router, satellites and called ATT Uverse.  I do not know what else to do and REALLY don't want to reset my router and start over (lots of settings changed, none of which have been changed in the last 6-9 months that would cause this problem.) 

My iphone is not working, my IP Phone is not working (ironically it is hard wired), my satellites are not working.   I have disconnected all but 1 satellite to try to resolve the mulitple IP address issue, still no go.  

Any suggestions or fixes to this problem?  

(FYI - Netgear - VERY DISSAPOINTED, been a LIFETIME customer and you won't help over the phone...shame on you.  Last Netgear I'll buy!!!)

Message 8 of 15
russellmoran99
Luminary

I work from home and have my in-laws here as well. We can have up to 100 devices at a time. I have a large array of DHCP but last night figured out how to assign the satellites to static. That worked.

I do have about 5 Netgear Switches on my network. I’m curious why would that matter?
Message 9 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Any of the switches managed or GreenEthernet supporting. IGMP and Green Ethernet switches seem to not work well with orbi. Just checking. 

@russellmoran99 wrote:
I work from home and have my in-laws here as well. We can have up to 100 devices at a time. I have a large array of DHCP but last night figured out how to assign the satellites to static. That worked.

I do have about 5 Netgear Switches on my network. I’m curious why would that matter?

Message 10 of 15
russellmoran99
Luminary

Switches are Netgears GS108 switches.  I think they are passive and not smart or green.

I woke up this morning and now have had the same problem.  My satellites have decided to go back to .250 address.  I have factory reset everything now (or at least I belive I have) and now they won't sync.  I am getting solid blue, then magenta color.  I am beyong exhausted of this issue.  Anyone have a way to reconnect the satellites?  I can't seem to get any of them to sync.  I have moved my satellites within 3 feet of my router and only syncing 1 at a time.

I have also performed factor reset on router.  I have tried factory reset on satelittes by holding the reset buttons down till the power indicator flashes amber.  Any other suggestions?

Message 11 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Lets try upgrading FW:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/New-NetGear-Orbi-RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-3-0-32-now/m-p...

Load the FW on to one satellilte at a time. I would attempt to get 1 satellite attached to the router first. if you can get it sync'd long enough to take the FW file, then try doing the same with the other satellite. If you can get FW loaded on to the satellites, then load FW on the RBR. Need the v212 first, then v32. 

I would wire connect a PC to the back of the satellite that has your RBS FW file on it and send it directly if possible. 

Message 12 of 15
russellmoran99
Luminary

I am 99% positive I loaded the latest firmwares over the weekend to the satellites. I believe I have that in the above posts. If this is different I would gladly do this. How would I check the satellites considering I can’t get them to connect? Thanks.
Message 13 of 15
russellmoran99
Luminary

Also, i have noticed my Orbi router Wi-Fi seems to be intermittent. I’m using my iPhone and it joins and disconnects randomly. Doing this with other Wi-Fi devices throughout the house. It seems as though the wired connections work well.
Message 14 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

You might want to try to downgrade the RBR back to v210 if that was the last working version. Load that up on the RBR then try to factory reset the satellites then see if they can be re-added. Factory reset the satellite using the back push pin button. Hold it in until the top led turns on AMBER then let go. Wait for the WHITE led to slowly pulsate, Then hit the black sync button on the RBR then this the sync button on the RBS. Hopefully the RBS will turn BLUE then go out. If this happens, check the status on the RBRs web page. If it's connected, update the FW on the RBS. Do this for remaining RBS's. If you can get this done, then update the RBR back to v32. 

@russellmoran99 wrote:
I am 99% positive I loaded the latest firmwares over the weekend to the satellites. I believe I have that in the above posts. If this is different I would gladly do this. How would I check the satellites considering I can’t get them to connect? Thanks.

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7