Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR50 and 3 RBS50: streaming issues during Zoom calls when connected to satellites, requests lag

Milan81
Guide

RBR50 and 3 RBS50: streaming issues during Zoom calls when connected to satellites, requests lagging

I have RBR50 working as AP connected to ASUS RT-N66R Router and three sats all over the house (RBS50).

After my last update to V2.5.1.16 several months ago I noticed that when connected via satellites I'm getting some kind of lag for any of my requests. So if I type in website into a browser it takes couple of seconds to start loading. It was a bit annoying but I could live with that, Youtube video worked fine, requests' lags were present there but with Youtube it's not so noticable because there's lag anyway, video was playing without issues. There was no problem in doing same things when connected to RBR iself. Zoom was working fine. 

Few days ago I started to see very different thing - Zoom calls started to get streaming issues, sometimes to complete stop and dropping off Zoom calls or people stammering and my screen freezing for couple of minutes. First I thought it was Zoom glicth, but no glithes happen when connected directly to RBR. So obviously problems lies in the connection between RBR and sattelites although I haven't moved them last couple of years and everything was working fine, didn't change any settings.

Speedtest shows Ping 15ms when connected to RBR and around the same 20ms when connected to sats.

What I did trying to solve it: of course I rebooted all modems and routers, and I power cycled ORBI system (including sattelites). Zoom issue disaappered for about 12 hours and boom!- it's here again (((

Did the same thing - rebooted everything, the issue was gone for couple of hours. And? it's here again (((

What can I do to get rid of the issue? Should I update my system to V2.5.2.4?

Does anyone experience the same troubles?

Thank you!

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR50 and 3 RBS50: streaming issues during Zoom calls when connected to satellites, requests lag

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
https://kb.netgear.com/19668/Link-Rate-and-Transfer-Speed

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or may not be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings
Not seen on Orbi AX.

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/Community-FAQ-My-Orbi-speeds-are-slow-inconsistent-and-don-...

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

Message 2 of 11
Milan81
Guide

Thank you very much for prompt reply.

1) I'm not quite sure about the distance - eqipment is on different floors, but it should be ok, since everything was working fine for couple of years until recently and I haven't moved sats or router.

2) channels. I'm already using channel 6 for 2.4Ghz and 48 for 5Ghz. I changed it from Auto because I used to have issues with Ring cams. 

No Wifi neighboors except for wireless printer and guest wireless network from Orbi

3) never did factory reset since last update.

4) Never tried: Beamforming and MIMO (tried this when addressing Ring issues), Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz 

I will try steps under No4 and will let you know

Thanks again!

Message 3 of 11
Milan81
Guide

And good question - should I try all these steps intead/before updating the firmware? There's new version available and probably it might solve my issue?

Message 4 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Try the steps and see. If this doesn't change the problem, i would factory reset and setup from scratch.

Message 5 of 11
Milan81
Guide

Some intermediate results: I have tried all things, some of them are unavailbale since I'm using Orbi in AP mode, but majority are available.

So far the only thing that actually seems to solve my problem is Daisy Chain. I have turned it off although I have three sattelites. Before one of my sats was connected to router through the other sat, now all sats are connected to router directly. One of them shows yellow dot which stands for weak signal I guess, but the service is stable and speed is around 150 Mbs near that sattelite (it was 170 Mbs before). So I lost around 10% in speed but if it brings stability I'm ok with this. 

Let me test this configuration for couple more days and I will let you know how it works.

Thank you!

Message 6 of 11
Milan81
Guide

ah and requests' lagging is gone for sure 

Message 7 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

AH I should have asked what mode your orbi was working in and if Daisy chain was enabled. 

Sounds like it's working better for you with Daisy Chain disabled. 

Message 8 of 11
sbeares1210
Guide

I'm having similar issues. Tried everything listed. Is yours still stable?

Message 9 of 11
Milan81
Guide

Well, I'm still testing. Majority of the time it works fine! So everyday I start my day with intention to mark abovementioned settings as a solution but... sometimes the problem returns... it's not so annoying now- just couple of seconds several times during an hour session and mostly in a daytime (mornings and evenings are fine, that makes me think that these remnants of my original problem is not in Orbi at all). My intention is to keep testing for another week and then I will decide, probbaly I will update the firmware.

I will keep you posted, and please share your solution if you are lucky enough to find it

Message 10 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

One User Experience/Configuration:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

@sbeares1210 wrote:

I'm having similar issues. Tried everything listed. Is yours still stable?

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7