Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR50 and CM1150V compatibility

Windchaser
Tutor

RBR50 and CM1150V compatibility

Hi, I am new to Netgear community.   I also posted this within the CM1150V discussion group.

Six months ago I upgraded my network with the Orbi RBR50 and it was attached to the Comcast modem.  We have Comcast "Blast" service and we were getting 150-170 mbps download and 12-15 mbps upload.  All was good in OZ.  

Last week I upgraded to the CM1150V to get rid of the monthly modem fee.  When my iMac is connected directly to the CM1150V I get 150-170 mbps down and 10-20 mbps up....HOWEVER, when I connect the CM1150V directly to the Orbi RBR50, the speeds drops to 50-70 mbps down and 11-12 mbps up. This speed is consistant when testing the other satellite units within the house too.  The phone service is working OK.   

I purchased the Netgrear units to avoid compatibity issues and simplify the installation.  I went for the CM1150V to be "future proof" with the trend to DOCSIS3.1

Now I wondering if the newer DOCSIS 3.1within the CM1150V is not compatible with the DOCSIS 3.0 in the RBR50?

Firmware for RBR50 is V2.2.1.210

I greatly appreciate any insights on how to resolve this issue.

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
Windchaser
Tutor

Thank you ... I completely rebooted the CM1150V, Orbi and the satelites and the network is now back to 180 mbps.  

I see where I went wrong, I just turned off/on the Orbi when I installed the CM1150V and did not go through the process of restaring everything from scratch.  Thanks again.  

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you power OFF the modem and reset the RBR router and setup from scratch after powering ON the modem? 

When you set up from scratch, don't enable QoS, Access Controls or Traffic Meter just yet. 

Test the speeds with a wired PC and web browser or the speedtest.net app installed on the PC first. 

Be sure to swap lan cables between the modem and RBR. CAT6 is recommended. 

@Windchaser wrote:

Hi, I am new to Netgear community.   I also posted this within the CM1150V discussion group.

Six months ago I upgraded my network with the Orbi RBR50 and it was attached to the Comcast modem.  We have Comcast "Blast" service and we were getting 150-170 mbps download and 12-15 mbps upload.  All was good in OZ.  

Last week I upgraded to the CM1150V to get rid of the monthly modem fee.  When my iMac is connected directly to the CM1150V I get 150-170 mbps down and 10-20 mbps up....HOWEVER, when I connect the CM1150V directly to the Orbi RBR50, the speeds drops to 50-70 mbps down and 11-12 mbps up. This speed is consistant when testing the other satellite units within the house too.  The phone service is working OK.   

I purchased the Netgrear units to avoid compatibity issues and simplify the installation.  I went for the CM1150V to be "future proof" with the trend to DOCSIS3.1

Now I wondering if the newer DOCSIS 3.1within the CM1150V is not compatible with the DOCSIS 3.0 in the RBR50?

Firmware for RBR50 is V2.2.1.210

I greatly appreciate any insights on how to resolve this issue.

Message 2 of 5
ekhalil
Master

Have you followed the instructions in the manual to connect the cable modem to a router as follows:

Namnlöst.png

Message 3 of 5
Windchaser
Tutor

Thank you ... I completely rebooted the CM1150V, Orbi and the satelites and the network is now back to 180 mbps.  

I see where I went wrong, I just turned off/on the Orbi when I installed the CM1150V and did not go through the process of restaring everything from scratch.  Thanks again.  

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Yes, when chaning Modems or routers. It's always best to power both systems Down, make ths change and then power the modem on first, then router. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@Windchaser wrote:

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7