Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50 and RBS50v2s: Satellites Updated Firmware, Now Will Not Connect

jmeniche
Aspirant

RBR50 and RBS50v2s: Satellites Updated Firmware, Now Will Not Connect

Hi All,

Predicament - added a new RBS50v2 satellite to existing RBR50 and RBS50v2 set up.  Both satellites indicated firmware update available, and I updated.  Subsequently, each began blinking white, and were not recognized by the setup procedure through the app.  A reset of all devices did not solve this problem. 

It appears my RBR50 (provided by the local telecom company) is running firmware version 2.1.4.16_1.1.31.  While the search for new firmware via the webpage admin login for the router says "no new updates," there are a few listed on the Netgear website for this model.  Because the satellites are no longer recognized by the router, I assume this has to do with differing firmware.  I also cannot see what firmware version the satellites have updated to.  

Should I try and manually update the router to the newest firmware?  Is there a risk that will alter any software/hardware the telecom provider has installed and obstruct internet access?  During these crazy times, I can't risk losing internet access at home.  

Welcome any ideas toward a solution.  Thanks.

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: RBR50 and RBS50v2s: Satellites Updated Firmware, Now Will Not Connect

When telcoms provide an Orbi router, they manage to "lock" the firmware.  Someone probably justified this as a Quality Control measure.  (WE are responsible for this thing, so WE have to control which firmware is on it.  Just like they lock the bootloaders on cell phones.)

You may be entirely correct about the firmware mismatch.  Alas, the only way I know to "get back" to the same firmware level as the router is to:

Honestly, it is beyond comprehension that (ISP who shall not be named) decided to do this in the first place and has NO PLAN at all to update the firmware (just like they also do not update cell phone firmware).

Just personally, I would call them and ask, "Is it possible to attach an Orbi satellite that I did not purchase from (you guys) to the Orbi router that I did purchase from (you  guys)."  I might even call more than one time to increase my chances of getting someone who actually understands the question.

You are not the first person to face this issue.  As far as I know, no one has reported great happiness.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

When telcoms provide an Orbi router, they manage to "lock" the firmware.  Someone probably justified this as a Quality Control measure.  (WE are responsible for this thing, so WE have to control which firmware is on it.  Just like they lock the bootloaders on cell phones.)

You may be entirely correct about the firmware mismatch.  Alas, the only way I know to "get back" to the same firmware level as the router is to:

Honestly, it is beyond comprehension that (ISP who shall not be named) decided to do this in the first place and has NO PLAN at all to update the firmware (just like they also do not update cell phone firmware).

Just personally, I would call them and ask, "Is it possible to attach an Orbi satellite that I did not purchase from (you guys) to the Orbi router that I did purchase from (you  guys)."  I might even call more than one time to increase my chances of getting someone who actually understands the question.

You are not the first person to face this issue.  As far as I know, no one has reported great happiness.

Message 2 of 3
jmeniche
Aspirant

Thank you for the prompt assist.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements