Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR50 and adding satellites

johnnyb_Ga
Aspirant

RBR50 and adding satellites

I have an Old 1900 Victorian Home 2300sqft that I'm sure has Lead paint here and there.. I bought the RBR50 with the Satellite and it seems like my coverage isn't as good as I want it to be. I'm guessing that more Satellites would help the coverage. What Satellites/Wall plugs would be compatable with the RBR50?

Model: RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only)
Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

RBS50 satellites would match up to the RBR50. You can add RBS40 and 20s however these have lower connection rates between the base and satellite. Where the 50s have same connection rates. 

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

Message 2 of 7
Chuck_M
Mentor

I had a similar issue with my home.  On my RBR50 I added an additional two satellites for a total of three RBS-50s.

I was able to hard wire backhaul for two of them since I had existing cat 5 already pulled and the third uses wireless backhaul.

Works flawlessly.

As mentioned by @FURRYe38 , the difference between the 50 series and lower series (40 etc) is the backhaul speed... My personal decision was to ensure max speed of the router, not the satellite backhaul so I went with the 50 series (not to mention it "pure fleets" the firmware and series.)

Message 3 of 7
johnnyb_Ga
Aspirant

So each Satellite is feeding off the router?

Presenty my router is at the front of the house and the one Sat. is  toward the other end.

I was hoping it would sort of Daisy chain from each other.

If I was to hard wire the furthest one from the router and one stand alone satellite in the middle, would that work?

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 4 of 7
Chuck_M
Mentor

Deleted duplicate post.

Message 5 of 7
Chuck_M
Mentor

In my case my network architecture is set up as a hub and spoke system with the orbi as the hub.  All satellites report directly back to the router.

You can easily implement your daisy chain where one satellite plays man-in-the-middle relaying between the router and a third satellite.

Anytime you hard wire it will be better/faster/simpler

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

@johnnyb_Ga wrote:

So each Satellite is feeding off the router? YES

Presenty my router is at the front of the house and the one Sat. is  toward the other end.

I was hoping it would sort of Daisy chain from each other.

If I was to hard wire the furthest one from the router and one stand alone satellite in the middle, would that work? Yes

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7