Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR50 and issues with adding Ego Nexus Powerstation

thuynhj
Aspirant

RBR50 and issues with adding Ego Nexus Powerstation

Hi, I just bought an Ego Nexus Powerstation that I'm unable to connect it to my wifi.  I have other smart devices such as my smart plugs and camera that uses 2.4 ghz that connected to my wifi just fine.  Below are some of things I've tried so far.

1. Disabled broadcast of my 5ghz SSID under settings.

2. The Nexus have a bluetooth option which I was able to sucessfully connect.  I connected via bluetooth first hoping that the wifi would end up working but it didnt.

3. I have FIOS and picked up a Verizon Fios G1100 router.  Would it possible to connect it to my Orbi and make it as a bridge?  If all fails I was planning to just plug the G1100 to my ONT and tempory use it to update the firmware on the Nexus.  

https://egopowerplus.com/nexus-portable-power-station/

Message 1 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

@thuynhj wrote:

Hi, I just bought an Ego Nexus Powerstation that I'm unable to connect it to my wifi.

2. The Nexus have a bluetooth option which I was able to sucessfully connect.  I connected via bluetooth first hoping that the wifi would end up working but it didnt.

Page 26 of the User Manual does not provide much detail.  It appears to infer that after using Bluetooth to add this device to your Garage (whatever THAT is) connecting to WiFi should be simple.

https://egopowerplus.com/media/productattach/1/8/18-1112_ego_pst3040_manual_na_v1.pdf 

Is there some error message that appears?

Can you provide some detail about the process and where it appears to fail?

Message 2 of 6
thuynhj
Aspirant

Hi, below are my steps.

1. Press the wifi button to initiate wifi setup.

2. Select my SSID on the Ego app

3. Input my wifi pw.

Below is a video I watched which the uploader also struggled connecting to his wifi.  Below is a video that shows the error message I also received (is timestamp). 

https://youtu.be/bkOYxBraKlc?t=244

Message 3 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

"OOPS there was a problem".  Not very useful error message. (Reminds me of some Orbi app error messages.)

I think the video made too much of the 2.4G WiFi topic.  Cell phones connect to 2.4G WiFi and 2.4G Bluetooth at the same time (even multiple Bluetooth devices).  They appear to have made an interesting programming decision which is different from how most Internet of Things (IoT) devices are set up.  I get the impression that after communicating the WiFi SSID and password to the power station, the Connect app drops the Bluetooth connection and waits to see the power station appear on the WiFi network.  If it doesn't appear, "oops"

How about testing that hypothesis by deliberately entering incorrect information (wrong SSID or wrong password).  Does the app come back with error messages such as "cannot find WiFi SSID" or "incorrect password"?

Does the password appear as actual characters or as 'dots'?  (I often struggle entering passwords on tiny phone keyboards and have been stung by autocorrect far too many times.)

Message 4 of 6
thuynhj
Aspirant

I deliberately entered the wrong password and it shows OOPS! There was a problem connecting to my-wifi.  I tried both copying and pasting my password and manually entering it.  When I enter my password it shows as dots.  Does your Orbi shows a NETGEAR48 SSID?  I remember it being broadcasted by my satellite but never connected to it.  Ego customer service is telling me to try that but I can't log into it as I don't know the password. 

Message 5 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

At the factory, every Orbi is given a default SSID/password so that customers can take it out of the box and use it without configuring it in any way. The default SSID is the letters O-R-B-I plus a two digit number.  The default password is usually two random words, such as purplemonkey.  If you configured your Orbi with a custom SSID, then this other one is likely one of your neighbors who has not configured a custom name.

I just HATE it when passwords show as dots or asterisks.  Absolutely no way to know if it is entered correctly except trying over and over.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7