Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR50 - can't connect to primary network, only to guest

menreeq
Aspirant

RBR50 - can't connect to primary network, only to guest

I have the Orbi RBR50 router and one satellite. Since the initial setup (>90 days ago), all my devices except an old Lenovo laptop could connect to both the primary and guest WiFi networks. I thought it was just because the laptop was old and didn't have time to troubleshoot it.  I have a newer HP desktop connected via Ethernet only (interestingly, it says it's connected by Ethernet to the guest network SSID). Now I realize that my newer HP desktop also cannot connect to the primary WiFi network, but can connect to the guest WiFi network.  I've searched online a few times for people having similar problems but have not found solutions. Orbi support says I'm past the 90-day window to get help from them.

Anyone have suggestions on how I can fix this?  I'd like to have all my home computers (desktop/laptop) and printers on the same WiFi network.  Other devices can connect to both primary and guest WiFi (phones, Echo, Roku, etc) without issue.

Thanks in advance.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
menreeq
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 

Thank you for responding. I answered your questions below and changed settings as you advised, then rebooted the router and satellite. I was still not able to connect to the primary WiFi network at first, but after "forgetting" it on both laptop and desktop, I am now able to do so. (I had tried forgetting all WiFi networks before making any orbi router changes and it never worked.)

I am not sure which setting did the trick, but I appreciate your advice!

---

What Firmware is currently loaded?

V2.3.5.30

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Through Comcast/Xfinity

TECHNICOLOR CGM4140COM

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?

2200 SF

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

About 50 feet.  I remember the blue ring when I first set it up, but now I don't see any color.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

2.4Ghz - auto

5Ghz - 48

I set 2.4Ghz to 01 for now.

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Yes, I see 6 other WiFi networks. 

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

- Done

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

-Done

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 8

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Disable Guest Network on the Orbi and test wifi devices.

Disable WPA security temporarily on the RBR. Does your two laptops connect then to the RBR? Re-enable WPA2 and AES on the RBR after testing.

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Message 2 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

@menreeq wrote:

I have a newer HP desktop connected via Ethernet only (interestingly, it says it's connected by Ethernet to the guest network SSID).

I have noticed that my Lenovo Windows 10 laptop gives a similar report when connected by ethernet, only it shows the primary WiFi network name.  (I do not have Guest activated.)  My desktop Windows 10 machine says only "ethernet", because I have the old WiFi adapter disabled.

Would there happen to be any special or unusual characters in the primary WiFi name and/or password?

Message 3 of 8
menreeq
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 

Thank you for responding. I answered your questions below and changed settings as you advised, then rebooted the router and satellite. I was still not able to connect to the primary WiFi network at first, but after "forgetting" it on both laptop and desktop, I am now able to do so. (I had tried forgetting all WiFi networks before making any orbi router changes and it never worked.)

I am not sure which setting did the trick, but I appreciate your advice!

---

V2.3.5.30

Through Comcast/Xfinity

TECHNICOLOR CGM4140COM

2200 SF

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

About 50 feet.  I remember the blue ring when I first set it up, but now I don't see any color.

2.4Ghz - auto

5Ghz - 48

I set 2.4Ghz to 01 for now.

Yes, I see 6 other WiFi networks. 

- Done

-Done

Message 4 of 8
menreeq
Aspirant

@CrimpOn 

Hello -- no unusual characters in the SSID or password (other than a dot).

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Sounds like it was the forget network that was the fix. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 8
menreeq
Aspirant

@FURRYe38

I had tried “forget network” many times before and it never worked. So something changed.

Thanks!
Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation