Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50 diconnecting from internet

Weberdee
Aspirant

RBR50 diconnecting from internet

Hi

I have an Orbi RBR50 connected to a satelite RBS50 linked via the RBR50 to a BT modem.

Sometimes our internet connection stops and this is now happening more frequently, Its now been 2 days in a row.

When this happens we cannot access the rest of our network. Hence I believe it to be related to the RBR50.

If I disconnect power to the RBR50, wait and power up again,  then the internet connection is re-established.

Any suggestions welcome.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 10
pmcgee3
Aspirant

Re: RBR50 diconnecting from internet

Try using a cat 5 6 or 7 cable. The same thing happened to me so I changed out the cables and use the CAT5, no problems ever since. Good luck!
Message 2 of 10
Weberdee
Aspirant

Thanks, we have cat 6 throughout the house.

Its been working fine for a couple of years.

Message 3 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too? Built in router here by chance? If so,
This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

@Weberdee wrote:

Hi

I have an Orbi RBR50 connected to a satelite RBS50 linked via the RBR50 to a BT modem.

Sometimes our internet connection stops and this is now happening more frequently, Its now been 2 days in a row.

When this happens we cannot access the rest of our network. Hence I believe it to be related to the RBR50.

If I disconnect power to the RBR50, wait and power up again,  then the internet connection is re-established.

Any suggestions welcome.

Message 4 of 10

@Weberdee wrote:

Hi

There's the problem. As @FURRYe38 suggests, you are in "Double NAT" territory with two routers on your network.

Two routers on your network can cause headaches. For example, you can end up with local address problems. Among other things, the other router can misdirect addresses that the Netgear router usually handles, such as routerlogin.net or the usual IP address for a router, 192.168.1.1.

This explains some of the other drawbacks.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

The horrid BT Homehub blocks any "modem only" settings. The easiest option is to put the second router, your Orbi, into AP mode.

That has its own drawbacks:

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

But for most people this does not matter.

Message 5 of 10
Weberdee
Aspirant

Thanks everyone,

As suggested I've had to use the BT hub as the router and the Orbi as an AP. Turning off the BT hub wireless and using the Orbi wireless.

I tried the suggestion of accessing the BT hub option to set it in modem mode but as said above this did not work.

Its worked fine now for a few days.

Message 6 of 10

@Weberdee wrote:

I tried the suggestion of accessing the BT hub option to set it in modem mode but as said above this did not work.

There are alternative options. They are a bit complicated, and may also be beyond the capabilities of the execrable Homehub, but if you want to get wifi from the BT's box of tricks, you might like to investigate.

Message 7 of 10
Retired_Member
Not applicable

did you ever answer the question about the firmware?

Message 8 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

You will be find with the Orbi in AP mode.

Enjoy. 

@Weberdee wrote:

Thanks everyone,

As suggested I've had to use the BT hub as the router and the Orbi as an AP. Turning off the BT hub wireless and using the Orbi wireless.

Its worked fine now for a few days.

Message 9 of 10

@FURRYe38 wrote:

You will be find with the Orbi in AP mode.

Very true. But should you feel the urge to dump BT's nasty object, a simple modem will do the trick. I have a Netgear DM200 – other brands are available.

The only issue with this is that Netgear does not have a modem that supports BT's implementation of IPv6. That does not seem to matter at the moment, but you never know where things are going.

In general Netgear seems to have given up on creating new models of its DSL modems. Prices of new ones on the USA are outrageously high.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7