Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50 different download speeds for different Macs

Re: RBR50 different download speeds for different Macs

FURRYe38:

Both you and an Mac guy in the OPS Center in my local ISP recommended the D-Link DWA-192. I checked on Amazon and was amazed at the very modest price. I just ordered one. Someone suggested another WiFi Adapter for a great deal more money (~$150) and I seems that I can possibly get what I need for much, much less. My only reservation is that this Adapter is only the 2.4Mhz. but, if this does the job I won't worry about a dual-band unit.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 26 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

Hope you find something that works for your mac mini. 

I enjoy the 192 adapter. Though were waiting on drivers for Catalina. The 192 supports WPA3 which is nice. Man Wink

Message 27 of 33

Hopefully, your word "were" has been overcome by events. In anticipation of receiving my Adapter I think I've downloaded the correct Driver. <https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/download/tl-wn725n/#Driver>. Looks as though they published the Driver last December. Am I mistaken?

Message 28 of 33

Smiley FrustratedSorry! BIG Ooops. What I purchased was the TP-Link TWN725N. The price of the D-Link scared me away. So, the Driver link I sent was for the TP-Link NOT the D-Link. I am running Catalina so not having a Driver for 10.15 would be a showstopper.

Message 29 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

Good Luck. I wouldn't recommend anything TP-Link. 

D-Link is working on a Catalina driver for the 192. 

Message 30 of 33

FURRYe38:

Much thanks for all your advice and ecouragement. I know you're not a fan of the TP-LINK TL-WN725N but TP-Link does have software for Catalina and the TP-LINK is very inexpensive and should arrive in a few days. One drawback is that it only works on 2.4 GHz - not dual-band. I haven't ruled out purchasing a more expensive dual-band device such as the D-LINK DWA-192 (when they have Catalina software). But in the interim I thought of one analysis that might be worthwhile. I created a Wireless Diagnostic Report of my current configuration and was wondering if you'd be interested in examining it. As you undoubtedly know the report is a very large file (255 MB!) so I would not try to email it to you. If you would be willing to look at it I can download it to a site where you can upload it whenever you choose to from a URL I'd send you. Maybe the report will point out something to you. I suspect something else is creating my problem since the Wireless Diagnostic Report indicates Excellent Signal quality. See the attached file, from Wireless Diagnostic Info.

Message 31 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

Just wanted to try my 192 adapter out since i updated one of my Mojave paritions the other night on my Mac Book Pro. So the 192 driver was previously installed on Mojave. Mojave was updated to Catalina. Connected my 192 adapter and turned OFF the onboard wifi radio. Enabled the 192 adapter driver and it's connected as I type this. 

Anyways, I recommend that you open a support ticket with Apple support for the one Mac that seems to be havng issues. I presume the mac maybe out of warranty. However I would find out if others in the Mac Community thats seeing any wifif problems. Is there a local Mac or apple shop that does Mac repairs? Would be one good start there. Have someone there look at your wifi diagnotic logs from the one mac. 

Message 32 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

Just FYI, D-Link just released OSX 10.15 drivers for the DWA-192. Smiley Wink

@JBuddenbrooks 

Message 33 of 33
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 32 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation