Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50 dropping connection with main Orbi router

RBR50 dropping connection with main Orbi router

I'm new to this site, but have resently had trouble with my main Orbi that is connected to my modum dropping and I have to eset the Orbi at least once or twice a week.  It is not my internet modum because I can unhook the Orbi and sign right into my Xfinity modum.  I am thinking of buying a new Orbi to replace the "main" one.  Can I do that?  Just wondering if I buy a new RBR50 and replace it if that will fix my trouble.  I have done everything else .ike reset and all of that.  Thanks for any help!!

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR50 dropping connection with main Orbi router

Please post about this over in the Orbi AC forum:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/bd-p/Orbi

Thank you. 

Message 2 of 18

Thank you!

Message 3 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

@spidermanroach wrote:

I'm new to this site, but have resently had trouble with my main Orbi that is connected to my modum dropping and I have to eset the Orbi at least once or twice a week.  It is not my internet modum because I can unhook the Orbi and sign right into my Xfinity modum.  I am thinking of buying a new Orbi to replace the "main" one.  Can I do that?  Just wondering if I buy a new RBR50 and replace it if that will fix my trouble.  I have done everything else .ike reset and all of that.  Thanks for any help!!

Message 4 of 18
vajim
Master

@spidermanroach wrote:

how old is the orbi router your have now?

Message 5 of 18

I bought it in Jan of 2020. Do you think I can just buy a new one and replace the one that I have? I just don’t know enough about doing anything other than checking cables and all of that.
Message 6 of 18
vajim
Master

@spidermanroach wrote:
I bought it in Jan of 2020. Do you think I can just buy a new one and replace the one that I have? I just don’t know enough about doing anything other than checking cables and all of that.

Unless you can prove its broke I would try and perform a factory reset

https://kb.netgear.com/31486/How-do-I-reset-my-Orbi-system-to-factory-default-settings

Message 7 of 18

I’ve done that twice already and don’t know what else to do.
Message 8 of 18
vajim
Master

@spidermanroach wrote:
I’ve done that twice already and don’t know what else to do.

It's up to you 

one year seems strange

if it were me I'd play with a few more days

do have another router to try?

have you connected your pc straight to the modem?

Message 9 of 18

I just bought another router. But I haven’t hooked it up yet. I tried it straight through my Motorola router and I didn’t have any trouble. Maybe I’ll just keep playing with it. Is that about the best idea that you can think of. I really don’t wanna buy another one because it’ll probably cost me a good amount of money
Message 10 of 18
vajim
Master

@spidermanroach wrote:
I just bought another router. But I haven’t hooked it up yet. I tried it straight through my Motorola router and I didn’t have any trouble. Maybe I’ll just keep playing with it. Is that about the best idea that you can think of. I really don’t wanna buy another one because it’ll probably cost me a good amount of money

What kinda of modem do you have?

Message 11 of 18

MG7540 Motorola. I can’t remember how old it is it might be three years or older so I don’t know if that would be an issue
Message 12 of 18
vajim
Master

@spidermanroach wrote:
MG7540 Motorola. I can’t remember how old it is it might be three years or older so I don’t know if that would be an issue

Looks like that modem already had a router built in.  Not recommended

You're going to have to configure either the modem or orbi router as the router then the other as a access point

https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point

if it were me go go buy a straight modem with no built in WiFi 

Message 13 of 18

Yesterday I bought the Arris S33. Would that work? I would just replace the Motorola one and plug this in and go correct? I wouldn’t have to call Xfinity or anything because i own the Motorola one right? Sorry kind of new to this whole thing.
Message 14 of 18
vajim
Master

@spidermanroach wrote:
Yesterday I bought the Arris S33. Would that work? I would just replace the Motorola one and plug this in and go correct? I wouldn’t have to call Xfinity or anything because i own the Motorola one right? Sorry kind of new to this whole thing.

you may still want to call Xfinity and let them know you have a new modem

https://www.xfinity.com/support/devices/

Message 15 of 18

OK I’ll do that thank you. Do you think this modem is it something that will probably help?
Message 16 of 18
vajim
Master

@spidermanroach wrote:
OK I’ll do that thank you. Do you think this modem is it something that will probably help?

Yes if your internet provider likes it.  

Message 17 of 18

Thank you for your help I’ll keep you updated.
Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7