Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50 dropping some 5Ghz internet connections

spqr105
Tutor

RBR50 dropping some 5Ghz internet connections

Hey guys,

So over the past 2 weeks certain 5ghz devices such as my smartphones, ring doorbell and devices hardwired to 1 RBK50 satellite (we have 2) have randomly been dropping their internet connection but maintaining their connection to wifi.

I have tried disabling beanforming, mu-mimo, 20/40 coexistence and experimented with every 5ghz channel. All of these worked fine for 2 years prior to the past 2 weeks. I already had wmm enabled and fast roaming disabled. All 2.4ghz devices are working fine.

I also experimented switching from my ISP's DNS to Google's DNS.

Does anyone have any clue as to what could be causing this and how to fix it? I will reset the router and everything will work fine for about 12-24 hours and then they start dropping again.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR50 dropping some 5Ghz internet connections

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi syste

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many? 

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or may not be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

One User Experience/Configuration:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

You can find other speed diagnosis steps in the community faq: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/Community-FAQ-My-Orbi-speeds-are-slow-inconsistent-and-don-...

Message 2 of 7
spqr105
Tutor

Firmware ends in 104 for router and satellites.

ARRIS SURFboard SB6190 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem and is working fine.

Home is 4500sqft and there is about 50ft between the router and satellites.

My nearest neighbor is 300ft from my house. I have experimented with all of those configurations you mentioned.

Message 3 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Might bring in the RBS to say 40-45feet and see. 

Try some of the suggestions. IF a reset hasn't been done, I would try this first off. 

Also besure that Traffic Meter is disabled.

Message 4 of 7
spqr105
Tutor

Someone else on reddit mentioned a traffic meter bug. Did this just start and is it known to impact internet connectivity? I have it enabled. Thanks.
Message 5 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 6 of 7
vajim
Master

or a cleaned up version from the horses mouth:

Hi Orbi Community, 

Engineering was able to discover the cause of this issue and they are working on a fix in regards to the disconnections. 

The issue comes from Traffic meter while daylight saving is enabled. The quick workaround is to disable the traffic meter. 

To disable traffic meter:
Access orbilogin.com > go to ADVANCED Tab > Advanced Setup > Traffic Meter and uncheck Traffic Meter

We appreciate all your cooperation and patience working with us. We will provide update once we have the fix firmware.  

Regards,
Blanca
Community Team

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7