Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50 drops internet at night

markdmumy
Aspirant

RBR50 drops internet at night

I have ATT internat at home that is conencted direct to my RBR50 and then on to other satelites.  For the past week (likely since the latest firmware update, though I can't say for sure), my Orbi seems to stop all activitty from about 10p to 5am.  Every night for the past 6-7 nights.

Side note, my ATT router is configured for wifi that I use solely for wifi devices (ring, sprinkler control, security system, etc).  I've hidden this SSID from broadcast since it is just for devices that I set up.

I also have Circle enabled on the RBR50 but only for kids devices.

What do I mean by all activity stops?  The Orbi is still powered on and my devices can even join its wifi.  Once connected to my Orbi, though, I cannot even log in to the admin page via the app or browser.  Wireless or wired.

My iphone (which Circle is set to ignore) is connected to my Orbi wifi but shows "no internet available".  When I switch my phone to my hidden wifi SSID, it works perfectly.  Tells me that the internet is just fine since I can connect direct to my cable modem and get online (wireless or wired).

On the Orbi, I see nothing in the logs other than these types of messages:

[DHCP IP: 10.0.0.12] to MAC address f0:a3:5a:92:84:b9, Thursday, August 13, 2020 23:49:48
[DHCP IP: 10.0.0.10] to MAC address 90:e2:02:ae:a5:3d, Thursday, August 13, 2020 22:33:53

I can also get on my laptop which is hardwired into the Orbi and it is offline as well, no internet.  If plug my LAN cable direct into the ATT router, it's online.  Seems to be limited to Orbi/Circle but this has been fairly solid.

I've even rebooted the Orbi and ATT modem.  ATT comes back online just fine, but Orbi still has the same issue.  A reboot doesn't clear it up.  On my ATT router, I can see the new connection from the logs as well as see the activity lights on the LAN connections.

This setup has been working flawlessly for 3 years now since I installed it.  No changes to my ATT router or to the Orbi other than the infrequent firmware upgrades that happen.

Initially, I thought that I had perhaps done something with Circle that shut things down at 10pm, but I don't see anything in there that is doing this other than two profiles I have for my kids devices.  One takes everything offline from 9p-6a and the other goes offline form 12a-5a.

I've even gone through a factory reset of all Orbi devices, but it still happened.  Not quite sure where to look.  The Orbi logs are just about useless and don't have much to show in the way of things going offline or online other than the DHCP notes above.

I am at my wits end on this.  Any ideas as to where to look?  I've seen lots of issues with the latest firmware, so maybe a downgrade is warranted?

Thanks!

Mark

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 10
Mstrbig
Master

Re: RBR50 drops internet at night

It is odd that it is a timed disable, maybe because of a setting. Has anything else changed other than recently upgrading the firmware?

Is your Orbi is router mode? If so did you assign a static IP from your router, as maybe it's losing its assigned IP address from the router, therefore will not connect to the internet.

Message 2 of 10
markdmumy
Aspirant

Yes, my Orbi is in router mode.  I've assigned it an IP address, so no changes on that front, it is static.

Wouldn't a reboot of Orbi clear that up, though?  After reboot, it would have gotten a new IP address if it were on DHCP.

Nothing else has changed, that's the discouraging thing.  At least not from inside my house.  I'm in IT, have been for 25 years, and have this locked down so that the family can't get in and change stuff.  That's what so odd about it all.  I really am at a loss as to why it's happening.

Message 3 of 10
Mstrbig
Master

@markdmumy wrote:

Yes, my Orbi is in router mode.  I've assigned it an IP address, so no changes on that front, it is static.

Wouldn't a reboot of Orbi clear that up, though?  After reboot, it would have gotten a new IP address if it were on DHCP.

Nothing else has changed, that's the discouraging thing.  At least not from inside my house.  I'm in IT, have been for 25 years, and have this locked down so that the family can't get in and change stuff.  That's what so odd about it all.  I really am at a loss as to why it's happening.

Sometimes routers and even NICs can be fussy. I've had PCs lose internet and nothing but literally unplugging the power for over a minute gets rid of whatever is stuck in the memory of the NIC. 

Being IT for 25 years you know it's more than likely a changed setting, whether man made or due to hardware or software addition, change or activation.  Because to be honest, I don't think it has to do with the physical Orbi RBR50 or it's firmware at all. Must be a setting, if the internet shuts down every day at the same time, for the same length of time, as you posted in the OP. That sounds like a man or software made schedule. I always say what's the last thing I did right before the problem started.

In your OP you say "my Orbi seems to stop all activitty from about 10p to 5am."

Then you say "I don't see anything in there that is doing this other than two profiles I have for my kids devices. One takes everything offline from 9p-6a and the other goes offline form 12a-5a."

This confuses me as you are saying you are shutting everything down from 9pm to 6am? Have you turned off this feature?

If it was my system, I'd start from a simple setup, disabling all features, bring down to a textbook setup, and disconnect all devices except one. Sooner or later you'll find what's causing it. 

Message 4 of 10
markdmumy
Aspirant

@Mstrbig wrote:

@markdmumy wrote:

Sometimes routers and even NICs can be fussy. I've had PCs lose internet and nothing but literally unplugging the power for over a minute gets rid of whatever is stuck in the memory of the NIC. 

Being IT for 25 years you know it's more than likely a changed setting, whether man made or due to hardware or software addition, change or activation.  Because to be honest, I don't think it has to do with the physical Orbi RBR50 or it's firmware at all. Must be a setting, if the internet shuts down every day at the same time, for the same length of time, as you posted in the OP. That sounds like a man or software made schedule. I always say what's the last thing I did right before the problem started.

In your OP you say "my Orbi seems to stop all activitty from about 10p to 5am."

Then you say "I don't see anything in there that is doing this other than two profiles I have for my kids devices. One takes everything offline from 9p-6a and the other goes offline form 12a-5a."

This confuses me as you are saying you are shutting everything down from 9pm to 6am? Have you turned off this feature?

If it was my system, I'd start from a simple setup, disabling all features, bring down to a textbook setup, and disconnect all devices except one. Sooner or later you'll find what's causing it. 

I'm shutting down 2 phones, an iPad, and a PlayStation from 9p-5a.  My kids devices get taken offline.  Not all devices in the house.

Yesterday, I did take my entire Orbi system back to factory defaults.  No circle, default access controls, etc.  The only think I changed after the reset was to change the SSID and the password.  Otherwise, it was a default, from factory setup.  It still shut off about 10p last night and came back on around 5am this morning ( I don't have the exact times, but within 30 minutes or so of 10p and 5a).  I didn't save/reload my config, didn't enable Circle.  I also left my laptop and work wireless devices on my hidden SSID with ATT.  They never lost connectivity it was only the ORBI connected devices.

What's worse is that when the Orbi gets into this mode, you cannot connect to it.  When I open a browser to connect to the web admin console, it just times out, can't reach the Orbi.  The same is true of the iPhone app.  If my phone is on the Orbi wifi, the app says that it cannot find Orbi.  If take my phone off wifi and use the remote administration, it shows that Orbi is offline.

Even if it had some schedule to shut down the internet from 10p-5a, I would still be able to connect to it and administer it.  I can't even do that.  That's why this has got to be much more than just an Orbi config.  The entire interface/website is not accessible.

Mark

Message 5 of 10
Mstrbig
Master

Have you thoroughly checked your ATT router to make sure it is not shutting down the IP to the Orbi router?

If it were me, if possible, I would temporarily remove the ATT router and connect the Orbi direct. If that is not possible because the ATT router is an ISP modem/router, I would disable everything possible in the router except for it sending an ip to the orbi. 

Message 6 of 10
Nchampion
Aspirant

I have the same issue except my Orbi drops internet at 3:30 am. Did you ever find a resolution? I am operating under the theory that I have too many devices on the network. I have ordered an additional satellite (I have 1) in order to support more devices and I hope that works. Based of your issue, I’m less convinced that an additional satellite will solve my issue.
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 7 of 10
vajim
Master

all of this behavior sounds like it may be related to firmware

Message 8 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or may not be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

One User Experience/Configuration:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

@Nchampion wrote:
I have the same issue except my Orbi drops internet at 3:30 am. Did you ever find a resolution? I am operating under the theory that I have too many devices on the network. I have ordered an additional satellite (I have 1) in order to support more devices and I hope that works. Based of your issue, I’m less convinced that an additional satellite will solve my issue.

Message 9 of 10
vajim
Master

all of this behavior sounds like it may be related to firmware

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements