Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR50 drops internet

dache
Aspirant

RBR50 drops internet

RBR50 keeps dropping internet periodically - once or more a week, both wired and wireless. Has to be manually rebooted. Latest firmware installed.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
ekhalil
Master

Seems there is an issue withe the PPPoE with Centurylink. I saw many posts about that.
On the other hand the Zyxel C1100Z is a good router with many nice features. Why don’t you keep it as your main router and instead set Orbi in AP mode. In this case you will get the best of both worlds! 🙂 good routing and great wifi

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 9

All Replies
ekhalil
Master

Please provide more details about your setup: model of ISP modem/router, wired or wireless backhaul, types of devices used, do you see issue with devices attached to Satellite or Router or both?.... etc 🙂

Message 2 of 9
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@ekhalil wrote:

Please provide more details about your setup: model of ISP modem/router, wired or wireless backhaul, types of devices used, do you see issue with devices attached to Satellite or Router or both?.... etc 🙂

...and FW history might help....sigh

Message 3 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

@dache wrote:

RBR50 keeps dropping internet periodically - once or more a week, both wired and wireless. Has to be manually rebooted. Latest firmware installed.

Message 4 of 9
dache
Aspirant

Connection via Centurylink Fiber>Zyxel C1100Z modem>RBR50 wired>Linksys 16-Port POE Switch>wired devices (several desktops, Rokus, etc). Two wireless RBS50 Satellites with multiple wireless devices attached. WiFi internet also goes down, but not even worried about WiFi at this point, since it loses wired internet.

Firmware on RBR50 is automaticaly updated. Current version V2.3.5.30.

Thanks for any ideas! 

Message 5 of 9
ekhalil
Master

@dache wrote:

Connection via Centurylink Fiber>Zyxel C1100Z modem>......

The Zyxel C1100Z is a router which will make 2 routers in your network if also Orbi is in Router Mode.

Please follow the instructions in this article to change the Zyxel to bridge mode.: https://www.centurylink.com/home/help/internet/modems-and-routers/zyxel-c1100z/advanced-setup/wan-se...

Message 6 of 9
dache
Aspirant

@ekhalil  - you are onto something, thanks for the tip! It looks like the Zyxel is not set up in bridge mode. I had the Centurylink tech on the phone to help set it in Bridge mode. Then I went into Orbi and enabled VLAN-201 tag group and enabled the Internet Connection login option. 

But -- no internet. Power-cycled both the router and the modem - still nothing. Confirmed the login information with the Centurylink tech - everything seems to be correct. He said he can see the modem connected on his end, but not authenticating.

In Orbi Internet login options, I have the following selected:

• Internet Service Provider - PPPoE
  • Service Name - blank
  • Connection Mode - Always On
  • Internet IP address - Get Automatically from ISP
  • Domain Name Server (DNS) Address - Get Automatically from ISP
  • Router MAC Address - Use Default Address

Am I missing anything else? Thanks for any thoughts!

@ekhalil wrote:

@dache wrote:

Connection via Centurylink Fiber>Zyxel C1100Z modem>......

The Zyxel C1100Z is a router which will make 2 routers in your network if also Orbi is in Router Mode.

Please follow the instructions in this article to change the Zyxel to bridge mode.: https://www.centurylink.com/home/help/internet/modems-and-routers/zyxel-c1100z/advanced-setup/wan-se...

Message 7 of 9
ekhalil
Master

Seems there is an issue withe the PPPoE with Centurylink. I saw many posts about that.
On the other hand the Zyxel C1100Z is a good router with many nice features. Why don’t you keep it as your main router and instead set Orbi in AP mode. In this case you will get the best of both worlds! 🙂 good routing and great wifi
Message 8 of 9
dache
Aspirant

@ekhalil - thanks for the suggestion. I have switched Orbi to AP mode, and going to give it a try - hopefully no more internet drops going forward. Thanks for the help.  

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7