Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50 - factory reset by itself?

rcurran1977
Follower

RBR50 - factory reset by itself?

Good afternoon!

We have an Orbi RBR50 and two satellites that have worked very well up until last night.  For whatever reason, we started having slow Internet and when a reboot of the RBR50 was performed, it was set back to factory default settings without touching the Reset button.  This seems unheard of at least in my experience, but has anyone else seen something like this?  I've heard of the router rebooting itself once updated to the latest firmware, but never back to factory defaults.  There was another discussion related to that in the forums here.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR50 - factory reset by itself?

What Firmware is currently loaded and had been loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Did you notice if the FW had been updated recently or last night? 

Do you have a backup configuration saved to file? 

Message 2 of 26
Figlata
Aspirant

This has been happening to me regularly as well, except I have not done any restarts. My Orbi just randomly resets itself to factory settings. Please help! Any idea what I can do to stop this. I am going to throw these out if I have to keep reconfiguring them every few days.
Message 3 of 26
Figlata
Aspirant

Here are my firmware and model
Number details
Message 4 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

I would download v40 FW files for the RBS and RBR. Using a wired PC, and web browser, manually up date the RBS first then update the RBR. After both have been applied, press the reset button in back for 15 seconds and then let go. Using a wired PC, and web browser, walk thru the setup wizaard on the RBR and set the system up from scratch. 

I had v38 loaded for days and day and never say issues. I do however manually download FW files and manually update the system then factory reset and setup from scratch. So no issues with these auto resets with my system. Hopefully we can get yours back to stable again. 

@Figlata wrote:
This has been happening to me regularly as well, except I have not done any restarts. My Orbi just randomly resets itself to factory settings. Please help! Any idea what I can do to stop this. I am going to throw these out if I have to keep reconfiguring them every few days.

Message 5 of 26
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Figlata wrote:
Here are my firmware and model
Number details

You're running faulty firmware.

Message 6 of 26
Figlata
Aspirant

Hi VAJim - I did a factory reset and updated with the latest firmware but the problem persists. Network works for a couple days then fails and I have to start all over. Any ideas? Thanks for everyone’s help.
Message 7 of 26
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Figlata wrote:
Hi VAJim - I did a factory reset and updated with the latest firmware but the problem persists. Network works for a couple days then fails and I have to start all over. Any ideas? Thanks for everyone’s help.

Latest firmware?

Message 8 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

@Figlata wrote:

Message 9 of 26
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@FURRYe38 wrote:

You you meant to say what is your firmware 

Message 10 of 26
Figlata
Aspirant

Firmware 2.3.5.34
Message 11 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last update?

@Figlata wrote:
Firmware 2.3.5.34

Message 12 of 26
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last update?

@Figlata wrote:
Firmware 2.3.5.34

Please see Message 9 of 12

Message 13 of 26
Figlata
Aspirant

The modem is:

Spectrum

Hitron E31n2v1

Message 14 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok just checking for additional router features here. It's a modem only. 

Only item that may cuase a reset is a bad FW update or configuration of the router. Try a reset on the RBR and walk thru the setup wizard. I would power OFF the modem for 30 seconds then back ON while the RBR is being reset. After you set up the RBR again, be sure to do a backup configuration to file for safe keeping. 

See if this happens again. 

@Figlata wrote:

The modem is:

Spectrum

Hitron E31n2v1

Message 15 of 26
Figlata
Aspirant

Hi Furrye38

Thanks for your thoughts...

question: will powering off then on have a significant difference in the factory reset as opposed to just holding the reset button?

I have done a reset so many times recently that I am running out of steam on this product and thinking it is time to switch to Google WiFi.

It is disappointed because the Orbi was not cheap and has worked well until a month or two ago, but the constant reseting is becoming too disruptive for my work internet needs.

Thanks!

Message 16 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

You can do the power off of the RBR as well to see if this changes anything. 

So even after reseting the rbr and seting up from scratch, the reset by itself still happened? 

@Figlata wrote:

Hi Furrye38

Thanks for your thoughts...

question: will powering off then on have a significant difference in the factory reset as opposed to just holding the reset button?

I have done a reset so many times recently that I am running out of steam on this product and thinking it is time to switch to Google WiFi.

It is disappointed because the Orbi was not cheap and has worked well until a month or two ago, but the constant reseting is becoming too disruptive for my work internet needs.

Thanks!

Message 17 of 26
Figlata
Aspirant

That is correct - I have done multiple factory resets and I continue to have this issue... within days, sometimes the same day the Orbi resets itself and loses all configurations and no network can be found so I have to start process all over again. It seems to be happening more frequently as well.

Message 18 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

Was the FW updated via the RBRs web page and using this web page to update the FW? IF so, what I would do, download the RBRs FW file v34 from NGs support site:

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBR50.aspx#download

Using a wired PC and IE11, FF or Opera web browser, manually re-upload the FW file using this wired PC. 

After the RBR completes the re-load, factory reset the RBR and this time walk thru the setup wizard and complete the setup. Once you have this setup again, do a backup configuration to file for safe keeping. 

See if the reset happens again...

Message 19 of 26
Figlata
Aspirant

I have not yet tried a FW upgrade from my wired laptop (Mac) but I will give it a go. 

Message 20 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how it goes.

Message 21 of 26
Figlata
Aspirant

will do thanks!

Message 22 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Wink

Message 23 of 26
Figlata
Aspirant

Hi there,

Wanted to share my latest attempy to manually update the firmware on my Orbi... unfortunately I have been unable to access orbilogin.com when directly connected to my Orbi Router. I am experiencing the following issues after a hard reset

1. The Orbi wireless network does not appear so I cannot connect via the app

2. When I try to connect to the Orbi via ethernet the connection is intermittent and will not stay active for more than 30 seconds. I never have enough time to get beyond the orbilogin.com welcome screen. I have tried ethernet connection on multiple machines and it is definitely the Orbi that will not hold the connection.

I'm stuck again. Any other ideas or should I just use the Orbi's as oversized paperweights. 

Thanks and Happy New Year!

Message 24 of 26
Figlata
Aspirant

Well after 3 days of trying to connect to Orbi via ethernet I finally was able to get through and update the firmware to:

v2.5.1.8

I setup my network and everything worked for about 2 min. Then everything went to heck...

1. My new Orbi Wi-fi network (TEST NETWORK) disappeared again.

2. I powered down the Orbi and when it rebooted my new network (TEST NETWORK) was back... for 1 min until it disappeared again (no reset button pressed)

3. I powered down the Orbi a second time and when it rebooted it was back to factory default Orbi Network (ORBI19) (no reset button pressed)

4. I tried going through the setup process again connected to Orbi default network - this time from phone app, but midway through the Orbi Network (ORBI19) disappeared and my new network (TEST NETWORK) reappeared so the setup app failed

5. Then I tried to reconnect to new network (TEST NETWORK) but it disappeared again

6. Now I am back to square 1... no wi-fi networks visible (ORBI19 or TEST NETWORK) and intermitten ethernet connection to Orbi

I feel like I am taking crazy pills! Is it time to give up and trash these things?

Thanks

Message 25 of 26
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 25 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7