Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50 fails to upgrade/downgrade from V2.5.0.38

SuperJohn00
Aspirant

RBR50 fails to upgrade/downgrade from V2.5.0.38

I have a RBR50 that will not budge from V2.5.0.38.

The satelites will update over the auto update feature, but I can not update the main RBR50. 

I've tried:

1.  Automatic update

2.  From phone app

3.  Wired PC to RBR50

a)  Upgrade to RBR50-V2.5.1.16.img

b)  Upgrade to RBR50-V2.5.1.8.img

c)  Downgrade to RBR50-V2.3.5.30.img

I've tried this using Edge, Chrome, and a brand new install of Brave browser in incognito mode.

Satellite 1:  RBS50 V2.5.1.16

Satellite 2:  RBS40V  V2.5.1.6

Suggestions?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
SuperJohn00
Aspirant

Re: RBR50 fails to upgrade/downgrade from V2.5.0.38

SOLVED:

First what didn't work:

What did work:

I attempted a 30/30/30 reset and on a whim tried the tftp push at the end of the 30/30/30 reset.  The light was blinking red.  The firmware pushed and updated.  I was able to restore my settings that I had previously saved.

I suspect that the RBR50 has this tftp procedure and I triggered it in the 30/30/30 reset.

https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-Windows-TFTP

I still used the tftp client from the frist link, but tftp is tftp no matter what client you use.

A few more keywords in case anyone else can't find how to tftp firmware update to the RBR50 when the light is solid green.

SOLVED:  tftp firmware update for RBR50 when the light is solid green.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

@SuperJohn00 wrote:

The satelites will update over the auto update feature, but I can not update the main RBR50. 

Very strange, because 2.5.0.38 does not appear on the list of RBR50 firmware versions.

The Firmware Update process does not work, and a manual update to any other version also fails.  Not good.

My first thought is to

• Save a copy of the configuration (Advanced Tab, Administration, Backup Settings.
  • Do a Factory Reset: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMw4ePACgc4 
  • Immediately after the Orbi resets, log in to the Orbi web interface  (credentials "admin", "password")
  • Attempt a manual firmware update to 2.5.1.8 or 2.5.1.16
  • If this succeeds, do another reset and try to "Restore" the previous configuration.
    If the previous configuration will not restore, then Factory Reset and configure from scratch.
  • If this fails, Factory Reset again, log in, and "Restore" the previous configuration

OF COURSE, this is a good time to weigh the "pros and cons".  Is the Orbi working satisfactoryily and the urge to update firmware is "something that sounds good to do"?  Maybe "if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it."  However, if something is not working to suit you, the time and effort spent updating firmware may be well spent.

Message 2 of 4
Mstrbig
Master

@CrimpOn wrote:

@SuperJohn00 wrote:

Very strange, because 2.5.0.38 does not appear on the list of RBR50 firmware versions.

Actually it is a valid version firmware for the RBR50 and RBS50. 

RBR50-V2.5.0.38-1631 22/10/2019
I think this was the one that was never available for auto update and pulled because of issues with it, which might explain why the problems.

Message 3 of 4
SuperJohn00
Aspirant

SOLVED:

First what didn't work:

What did work:

I attempted a 30/30/30 reset and on a whim tried the tftp push at the end of the 30/30/30 reset.  The light was blinking red.  The firmware pushed and updated.  I was able to restore my settings that I had previously saved.

I suspect that the RBR50 has this tftp procedure and I triggered it in the 30/30/30 reset.

https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-Windows-TFTP

I still used the tftp client from the frist link, but tftp is tftp no matter what client you use.

A few more keywords in case anyone else can't find how to tftp firmware update to the RBR50 when the light is solid green.

SOLVED:  tftp firmware update for RBR50 when the light is solid green.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7