Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50 failure using wired back bone

Ian_2006
Aspirant

RBR50 failure using wired back bone

It appears that the RBR50 and it satellites, I have two, get completely messed up when you use a wired ethernet connection.  I have my Orbi set up as an access point then use TPlink plug adapters to create a wired backbone.  Basically I have to disconnect the router from the backbone otherwise it kills my internet connection.

It might be something to do with the fact that one of the satellites is within reach of the router using the wireless backbone.  It simply does not have the sense to use wired connection.

Seems like a pretty poor design unless I have missed something.

Any clues welcome

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR50 failure using wired back bone

Seen some others having problems with PLs and Orbi. You might test the Orib alone with out the PLs in the middle and see.

The less in the middle the better. Use of non managed switches is recommended.

There maybe some PL settings that could be checked into. Someting to approch the Mfr of these PLs about.

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, LAN to LAN and configure AP mode on the Orbi router.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 7

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the IP modem the Orbi is connected too?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch if your using one?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, as it shouldn't be enabled for wired back haul connections.

Besure to set up the satellites first via wireless, then connect the ethernet cable between the satellite and router. Give 5 minutes then the top led on the satllite should turn on BLUE. Remove any PowerLine devices as they may cause problems as your testing.
Disconnect ALL other wired devices from the router while setting up the satellites on wired back haul.

Setup IP address reservations for each satellites after it gets connected via wired backhaul.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/OrbiOS-2-1-4-10-kills-Internet-access-if-you-use-Ethernet-back...
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-firmware-update-v2-1-4-16-availability/m-p/1592753/highli...
Another initial setup process: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Backhaul-breaks-the-whole-network/m-p/1615770/highlight/true#M...

Message 2 of 7
Ian_2006
Aspirant

Hi,

Thanks for that, I had seen the other comments and tried those things.

Been trying a variety of different things and can't get a consistent result.  I have just managed to get it working but dont have a lot of hope for a long lasting solution.  Bascially I have One orbi router and two satellites, 4 TL link PA551's and two bt routers in the network.  The internet going through one of the bt routers and everything else just an access point.

The only solution to work for now is to put the two orbi satellites at oppostie ends of a chain of TP links with the three routers at points in the middle.  Not sure why that would work, fingers crossed.

Message 3 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Seen some others having problems with PLs and Orbi. You might test the Orib alone with out the PLs in the middle and see.

The less in the middle the better. Use of non managed switches is recommended.

There maybe some PL settings that could be checked into. Someting to approch the Mfr of these PLs about.

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, LAN to LAN and configure AP mode on the Orbi router.

Message 4 of 7
Ian_2006
Aspirant

At long last it looks like I have found the solution, the system has now been working for over a week with no problems at all.

I put the orbi router in to a DMZ on the main router.  Remember that the Orbi is being used as an access point.

Very simple after weeks of experiementing!

Message 5 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad suggestion #2 worked for you.

Message 6 of 7
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi Ian_2006, 

If your issue is now resolved, we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7