Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50 firmware has never been updated

Ladnemk7
Tutor

RBR50 firmware has never been updated

I foolishly assumed that my Orbi would auto update firmware, but in the process of troubleshooting this morning realized that is SO not the case.  My system is currently running firmware version 1.4.0.34.  

Do I need to manually install all firmware versions released since, or can I jump to a more recent version? I apologize in advance for being so obtuse!

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR50 firmware has never been updated

You'll need to update to v2.0.0.74 on the RBS first then RBR. Then you'll need to apply v2.2.1.212, Then you can go to more recent versions or check to see what the RBR finds for you. 

@Ladnemk7 wrote:

I foolishly assumed that my Orbi would auto update firmware, but in the process of troubleshooting this morning realized that is SO not the case.  My system is currently running firmware version 1.4.0.34.  

Do I need to manually install all firmware versions released since, or can I jump to a more recent version? I apologize in advance for being so obtuse!

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 10

All Replies
vajim
Master

wow and I thought I was bad.

you may want to perfrom a factory reset and then see what firmware the orbi grabs from the server and go from there.

you can do manual updates, however I believe you can not jump to the front of the line.  From where you're at you may have to install a cetain version and then do another to get you current.

Message 2 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

You'll need to update to v2.0.0.74 on the RBS first then RBR. Then you'll need to apply v2.2.1.212, Then you can go to more recent versions or check to see what the RBR finds for you. 

@Ladnemk7 wrote:

Message 3 of 10
vajim
Master

@FURRYe38 wrote:

@Ladnemk7 wrote:

how about tell me if this would have worked:

you may want to perfrom a factory reset and then see what firmware the orbi grabs from the server and go from there.

you can do manual updates, however I believe you can not jump to the front of the line.  From where you're at you may have to install a cetain version and then do another to get you current.

Message 5 of 10
Ladnemk7
Tutor

Thanks for the info in responses.  Sorry for the delay in my response. 

I completed a factory reset, no new updates were found in the process.  I then attempted a manual upload for the update noted 2.0.0.74(RBR50-V2.0.0.74.img) for RBS and received the following response:  "This firmware file is incorrect! Please get the firmware file again and make sure it is the correct firmware for this product."

This firmware file is incorrect! Please get the firmware file again and make sure it is the correct firmware for this product.
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 6 of 10
Ladnemk7
Tutor

Final update.  

I decided to push through and attempt the next recommended update (2.2.1.212) for both RBS & RBR.  Worked like a charm.  Then, the automated system kicked in and prompted for 3 additional group updates.  I am very proud to announce that my wonderful little Orbi system is now operating as it should with the most recent available update. (2.7.2.104)  Thank you all so much for your time and advice.  I will NOT fall into this type situation again. 

Message 7 of 10
vajim
Master

@Ladnemk7 wrote:

Final update.  

I will NOT fall into this type situation again. 

the only way that will happen is to leave it alone 

Message 8 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. 

Be sure to save off a backup configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed. 

Please mark your thread and solved so others will now. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@Ladnemk7 wrote:

Final update.  

I decided to push through and attempt the next recommended update (2.2.1.212) for both RBS & RBR.  Worked like a charm.  Then, the automated system kicked in and prompted for 3 additional group updates.  I am very proud to announce that my wonderful little Orbi system is now operating as it should with the most recent available update. (2.7.2.104)  Thank you all so much for your time and advice.  I will NOT fall into this type situation again. 

Message 9 of 10
vajim
Master

Just make sure you leave it alone

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements