Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50 firmware upgrade. now unit stuck with green solid power light and nothing else.

triack
Aspirant

RBR50 firmware upgrade. now unit stuck with green solid power light and nothing else.

after attempting firmware upgrade from the web page, my rbr50 is now unresponsive.

power light glows green and thats it.

i have tried the 30.30.30 reset and it does not change anything.

unable to get power light to change colors.

any thoughts on what to try next, other than buying new?

jps

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR50 firmware upgrade. now unit stuck with green solid power light and nothing else.

So did you do the FW update? Orbi app or Web browser? If Browser, which one? 
Wired or wireless connected? Wired is recommended. 

What version of FW did you update too? 

https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-Windows-TFTP
Need to press the reset button for 30 seconds then release, then it send to PUT the command and upload the FW. 
I had a problem on a Windows 10 PC where this didn't work to use TFTP, so I switched to a WIndows 7 PC and the TFTP worked.
https://www.thewindowsclub.com/enable-tftp-windows-10
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9DLrLQrpaw

Try nmrpflash?
Others had luck with that when tftp didn't work
https://github.com/jclehner/nmrpflash

Message 2 of 10
triack
Aspirant

Re: RBR50 firmware upgrade. now unit stuck with green solid power light and nothing else.

2.7.2.104 is what i'm trying to put back on it after upgrade by web interface failed with 2.7.3

on windows 10, tried both tftp64 per one message as well as built in tftp client on windows 10 pro.

pressing reset for 30 secs does not change the light from solid green to anything else.

Message 3 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

@triack wrote:

2.7.2.104 is what i'm trying to put back on it after upgrade by web interface failed with 2.7.3

on windows 10, tried both tftp64 per one message as well as built in tftp client on windows 10 pro.

pressing reset for 30 secs does not change the light from solid green to anything else.

My understanding is that there is a brief window of time during startup when the hardware looks for a tftp connection before beginning the regular boot up process.  Rather than using the paperclip, power the Orbi off, (say a brief prayer or mantra), power it back on and try tftp.

I once took 4 or 5 tries to get tftp to work.

Using tftp is quite a chore, what with having to change the computer to a static IP address and cable it directly to the Orbi, but it has worked several times for me.

Message 4 of 10
triack
Aspirant

no good, unable to get tftp to even show an attempted connection from the orbi

Message 5 of 10
antinode
Guru

> on windows 10, tried both tftp64 per one message as well as built in
> tftp client on windows 10 pro.

I'd stick with the command-line TFTP client program.  Better error
messages, if nothing else.

> no good, unable to get tftp to even show an attempted connection from
> the orbi

A vague description of what does _not_ happen is less useful than a
clear description of what _does_ happen.

"unable" is not a useful problem description.  It does not say what
you did.  It does not say what happened when you did it.  As usual,
showing actual actions (commands) with their actual results (error
messages, LED indicators, ...) can be more helpful than vague
descriptions or interpretations.

The TFTP recovery scheme is a multi-step procedure which offers
multiple opportunities for user input, hence user error.  By itself,
saying that you "tried" it doesn't say much.  See "As usual, [...]",
above.  Especially when using a command-line program, copy+paste is your
friend.

> [...] a brief window of time [...]

"unable" also doesn't say _when_ you did anything.

Message 6 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 7 of 10
triack
Aspirant

unable... yah.....

trying to get orbi into tftp mode....

hold reset for 30. release, hold reset and power on, still holding reset for 30 sec, release reset.  

power light stays green during intire process.

at this point, even attempting to use the put command in eather TFTP client, results in no connect to orbi.

so what would you sugest to try next. since holding reset for 30 secs and power up orbi does not put it into a state to accept an tftp connection.

Message 8 of 10
triack
Aspirant

not under warranty... bummer

Message 9 of 10
arbyjones
Aspirant

Same thing happened to me and since it's out of warranty, NetGear doesn't care.

Pretty sad since it's NetGear's aweful update process that's causing it.

I guess next time, If it's out of warranty, don't upgrade.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7