Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50 flashing white light / not working anymore

GeniusMBM
Aspirant

RBR50 flashing white light / not working anymore

I've seen a similar problem but going through the solutions has not helped. I've had it for 2 years 7 months with no prior issues but now I believe it's soft-bricked with no return.

I have 4 RBS50 satellites which I don't want to lose, and so I wanted to confirm, is it possible to use the satellites in AP mode without the mesh functionality if I wasn't to use a Orbi router (I can't seem to find it being sold without any satellites) and use another router I have?

I've seen a solution that uses the Orbi router and essentially, I want to confirm if this is possible with another router and if so, what the process is (or is it simple as plug and play).

Please do let me know if this is possible and/or if you have any other solutions.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR50 flashing white light / not working anymore

You can try recoving it with tftp or nmrpflash.  

are you on windows? if so, follow this guide

https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-Windows-TFTP

just make sure you enable tftp 

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/enable-tftp-windows-10

and here's a video walk through using a tftp client. Use the built in one for windows 10 though. the video is more of an example of how its done. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9DLrLQrpaw

and if that doesn't work, you can try using nmrpflash

https://github.com/jclehner/nmrpflash

Message 2 of 8
plemans
Guru

No, the RBS50's don't have an AP mode. 

Are you sure the RBR is bricked? 

What's actually happening with it? 

Have you tried tftp/nmrpflash to fix it? 

Message 3 of 8
GeniusMBM
Aspirant

Hi @FURRYe38, thank you for the detailed potential solutions.

I have tried turning on my router today using these methods, firstly TFTP using Windows command line but the router didn't respond so I moved onto the second option using nmrpflash but again I had no success.

When I turn on the router now, it only has a green power light, no white flashing/pulsing light (or any other coloured light) on top anymore. Nor does an orange flash come on when pressing and holding reset when turning it on.

At this point, I have tried to use multiple ethernet cables, checked the power adapter and everything else is working correctly. Either this has progressed from bricked to dead router or I am doing something incorrect (which I don't believe I am as I have meticulously followed the instructions).

Please do advise if there is anything further that I can do to try revive this device.

Message 4 of 8
GeniusMBM
Aspirant

Hi @plemans,

It does seem like the router is now completely dead, please see my reply above to @FURRYe38.

Since the RBR50 is now seemingly dead, is there any way to make use of the RBS50's using another router or do they have to be operated by the RBR50?

I would like to avoid buying another RBR50 as I would be forced to buy a satellite along with it. Please advise for any other potential solutions. Thanks!

Message 5 of 8
GeniusMBM
Aspirant

Thank you for those links @FURRYe38, I followed up and got the serial to USB adapter, used PuTTY for the terminal interface. The router kept throwing out gibberish if anything after multiple power cycle restarts. The RXD green LED flashed many times as the gibberish was sent over the serial but there was not stable constant connection. I believe this router has completely died at this point. Thank you for all your help.

I understand that without the RBR50 the RBS50's will not work and are essentially paperweights (as they do not work with other routers), but would they work if I was to use another newer Orbi router (RBK852 for example)?

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Not sure if the link speed would be a factor in that or not. Not sure if those adapter auto negociate or if there is a specific speed testing. If your getting gibberish and nothing legible, then it's probably a gonner. 

The AC series RBS won't wirelessly connect to Orbi AX systems, however they can connect via ethernet. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7