Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR50 fw 2.3.5.30 wifi very instable

Nicolas72
Guide

RBR50 fw 2.3.5.30 wifi very instable

Hi,

I'm running one RBR50 and RBS50 wirelessly backhauled since several months without any issue. I upgrade to last fw 2.5.3.50 two days ago.

Since the upgrade, the wifi is very unstable. Most of the time it's so slow it's simply not usable. It is working then suddenly it becomes very slow for a while.

My internet connection is working well and wired connections are working also very well. No special settings configured. Router is set up in router mode.

Does anyone already encountered such a behavior with this fw?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Nicolas

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 19

Accepted Solutions
Nicolas72
Guide

thank you @SW_  for the link I'm giving it a try!

Cheers,

Nicolas

View solution in original post

Message 14 of 19

All Replies
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Nicolas72 wrote:

Hi,

I'm running one RBR50 and RBS50 wirelessly backhauled since several months without any issue. I upgrade to last fw 2.5.3.50 two days ago.

Since the upgrade, the wifi is very unstable. Most of the time it's so slow it's simply not usable. It is working then suddenly it becomes very slow for a while.

My internet connection is working well and wired connections are working also very well. No special settings configured. Router is set up in router mode.

Nicolas

Why did you upgrade?

Message 2 of 19
Nicolas72
Guide

No particular reason, I was running an "old" 2.2.X one

I though upgrading once in a while was not a bad idea to get security patches or so ...

Message 3 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since the update? Might try this...

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

@Nicolas72 wrote:

Hi,

Nicolas

Message 4 of 19
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Nicolas72 wrote:

No particular reason, I was running an "old" 2.2.X one

I though upgrading once in a while was not a bad idea to get security patches or so ...

Lesson learned.....not all firmware is created equal.  If your system is working, no need to upgrade the firmware.  NG will push FW with major revisions automatically.  

Message 5 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

@Nicolas72 wrote:

Hi,

Nicolas

Message 6 of 19
Nicolas72
Guide

Yes, I made some progress on this.

I manually downgraded to fw 2.3.0.32 and it instantly resolved my issue.

Then suddenly 2 days later, it stopped working with exactly the same behavior. I then looked into my console to discover that ..... Orbi has automatically upgraded to 2.3.1.60 (probably the newest from 2.3.1.50 ...)

Conclusion, fw from 2.3.1.50 does not work at all from me and Orbi started upgrading on its own (which is a behavior that never happened before).

To be honnest I'm quite disapointed with such an acquisition since unexpected issues are occuring every 6 months for an expensive device you want to install and forget... Of course, this is only my opinion.

Regards,

Nicolas

Message 7 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

There is no v50 version of FW for the RBR50. 

v60 is available. 

Try a factory reset and the RBR with v60 loaded and setup from scratch. I believe v60 will not auto upgrade after this and will only notify you about any recent updates in the UI. Will be up to you to update FW.

I agree, should have all these kinds of hassles. 

@Nicolas72 wrote:

Yes, I made some progress on this.

I manually downgraded to fw 2.3.0.32 and it instantly resolved my issue.

Then suddenly 2 days later, it stopped working with exactly the same behavior. I then looked into my console to discover that ..... Orbi has automatically upgraded to 2.3.1.60 (probably the newest from 2.3.1.50 ...)

Conclusion, fw from 2.3.1.50 does not work at all from me and Orbi started upgrading on its own (which is a behavior that never happened before).

To be honnest I'm quite disapointed with such an acquisition since unexpected issues are occuring every 6 months for an expensive device you want to install and forget... Of course, this is only my opinion.

Regards,

Nicolas

Message 8 of 19
Nicolas72
Guide

Hi there,

Yest it is v60 this was a typo ...

Anyway, still the same issue with this 'new' fw.It simply does not work and my Orbi keeps upgrading automatically.

Can someone give me a working procedure to disable automatic upgrade of Orbi (RBR50) since its not available as an option?

Many thanks in advance.

Message 9 of 19
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@Nicolas72 ,

It's a surprise that Auto update still happens automatically for your Orbi.  There is a switch to disable via the Orbi UI page.  Please check out this post on how to enable the hidden option.

Good Luck!

Message 10 of 19
Retired_Member
Not applicable

If you are able to turn off the auto updates, then what?  How will you determine which updates to install?

Message 11 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Users are encouranged to visit NG download support site for FW updates and release notes and compare version to decide if and when to update. 

Message 12 of 19
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Nicolas72 wrote:

Hi there,

Yest it is v60 this was a typo ...

Anyway, still the same issue with this 'new' fw.It simply does not work and my Orbi keeps upgrading automatically.

Can someone give me a working procedure to disable automatic upgrade of Orbi (RBR50) since its not available as an option?

Many thanks in advance.

If you are able to turn off the auto updates, then what?  How will you determine which updates to install?

Message 13 of 19
Nicolas72
Guide

thank you @SW_  for the link I'm giving it a try!

Cheers,

Nicolas

Message 14 of 19
Nicolas72
Guide

Because I know which fw version works for me.

And if you ask why i updated. This is because I tought it was a good idea to stay up to date in order to get last features proposed by new firmware.

Regards

Message 15 of 19
Nicolas72
Guide

Hi @FURRYe38 

Thank you for your message. That's what I did BTW.

Regards,

Message 16 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@Nicolas72 wrote:

Hi @FURRYe38 

Thank you for your message. That's what I did BTW.

Regards,

Message 17 of 19
AFD
Luminary
Luminary

Similar issues ,. but in my case I didnt perform any update activity , Autoupdate is running again in the Orbi Systems?  .

As you mentioned , my system was running perfectly fine , and now I have a terrible issue not only with the persomance but with no devices connected to the satellite . 

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 18 of 19
Nicolas72
Guide

Hi @AFD 

Sorry for my late answer.

I you want to disable to auto update, have a look at this post post since it works for me.

Please note that if you reboot your Orbi, you'll need to reapply the procedure found in the post.

Now, auto-update does not occur anymore from my side but I still have the same performance and connecting issue.

So far, I was unable to restore a "good working" wireless network with my Orbi RBK50. 

To be honnest with you I would'nt recommand anybody to acquire such a device. Il will still try to find an acceptable solution and if not, I'will change from manufacturer or go back to my very old airport express that didn't work so bad finally ...

Do not hesitate to feedback me if any progress from your side!

Cheers,

Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7