Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR50 gets 900Mbps ethernet to PC, RBS50 gets 400Mbps ethernet to same PC

aakshey
Star

All the advice in this thread is wrong. 

If your satellite is connected via wireless backhaul, what you're experiencing seems normal. 

If you connect your satellite to your router via a CAT6 Ethernet cable, you'll get the full speed you want. 

Message 26 of 35
Oldironsides
Guide

@aakshey wrote:

If your satellite is connected via wireless backhaul, what you're experiencing seems normal. 

If you connect your satellite to your router via a CAT6 Ethernet cable, you'll get the full speed you want. 

What do you think of connecting the satellite and router via a powerline connection? 

Message 27 of 35
theoak
Luminary

In theory the wireless backhaul can go faster than direct gig ethernet - all dependent on your environment.  Of course, the reliability of wired is going to be MUCH higher.  Now Powerline is NOT the same as ethernet.  It is still dependent on the electric grid in the home.

I say go to your local electronics store and/or favorite online retailer and get a Powerline pair and test:

1. Orbi Router - Powerline - Powerline - TV/Devices
  2. Orbi Router - Powerline - Powerline - Orbi Satellite - TV/Devices

In option 2, the Powerline is used as the backhaul and hence make sure you have it connected to the correct port in both the router and satellite.  Your rooms are really close though, so you may get better throughput through the wireless backhaul.

Due to the size of your home, I am not convinced you need the satellite and hence I personally lean towards option 1.  With that being said, if all of your devices have wireless options, you may not need the Powerline either.

As you can see are a lot of factors at play, so test a lot.  Networking is a combination of science but can be an art too. What works for another, may not work for you and in your home. Let the fun begin 🙂

Validate the return policy when you purchase.  If Powerline does not meet your expectations, take them back within the time limits of the return policy.

Message 28 of 35
aakshey
Star

Will be worse than WiFi backhaul. 

Message 29 of 35
aakshey
Star

In a 800 sq ft home, a single Netgear X4S will work better than RBK50. Just place centrally. 

Message 30 of 35
Oldironsides
Guide

My issue is the apartment wiring. There is no coaxial in the living room so I can't install a router in center.

A little weird I know, both bedrooms have cable hookups but living room nothing. Just trying to find a solution with what I got. without rewiring or routing new lines.

Another curve ball is my PC does not have a wireless adapter, only an Ethernet network card.

I like the idea of the orbi satellite located behind PC and plugged in Ethernet.
Message 31 of 35
aakshey
Star

Run an external CAT6 wire along your wall. From the router to the satellite. 

Message 32 of 35
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@aakshey wrote:

All?

Perhaps....the OP should really look clser at the FW.  The rest will take care of itself.  Once its stable, stand back and leave it alone.

Message 33 of 35
Oldironsides
Guide

Lol..... I'll try downgrading firmware and reporting back
Message 34 of 35
Oldironsides
Guide

@Retired_Member wrote:

@aakshey wrote:

All?

Perhaps....the OP should really look clser at the FW.  The rest will take care of itself.  Once its stable, stand back and leave it alone.

I downgraded to firmware 2.3.5.  First on satellite, ran a speed test, then downgraded on router, ran a speed test.  Wired speed stayed the same, consequently wireless speed actually fell by a lot.  Upgraded back to newest firmware, wifi speeds are back to normal. 

Thanks for the suggestion.  Next I am going to try a powerline device.  

Message 35 of 35
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 34 replies
  • 12 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7