Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50 gets 900Mbps ethernet to PC, RBS50 gets 400Mbps ethernet to same PC

Oldironsides
Guide

RBR50 gets 900Mbps ethernet to PC, RBS50 gets 400Mbps ethernet to same PC

Hello Orbi Community,

Thank you for taking the time to view my post.

Just bought the Orbi AC3000 kit from costco to maximize my 1gig internet speed provided by Comcast.  I must say my wifi speeds are amazing (roughly 500 - 700Mbps).  I live in a small apartment (about 800 square feet), so I only have one satellite connected right now.  I am keeping the additonal satellite ready for when we upgrade to a bigger place.  I have swapped satellite units to try to isolate the issue, but same result.  Very poor speed from the satellite unit(s) via a ethernet connection.  I get about 400 Mbps from satellite and I get 900 Mbps from main unit (same PC, long ethernet cord). 

Are these units capable of delivering close to gig speeds with a ethernet cable connected to satellite Orbi???

Notes:

Firmware is up to date.  Even reloaded firmware with tech support. 

I've swapped satellite units - no difference

New ethernet cords (Cat6)  - tried multiple ports and cables

Backhaul is 5g and in good status

Had comcast come to my house to check lines and everything is perfect.

Thank you again for helping me out.  I really want these devices to work instead of trying something else out.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 35
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR50 gets 900Mbps ethernet to PC, RBS50 gets 400Mbps ethernet to same PC

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings. Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Message 2 of 35
Oldironsides
Guide

Thanks you FURRYe38 for replying to me.

The router and the satellite are about 20 feet away from each other. I have no coaxial in living room. So main router in bedroom hardwired to modem. Next room over, I have the satellite behind my tv, hardwired to my PC.

I made the changes in which you suggested, rebooted the router and satellite and still am getting lower than desired speeds. Did get one test at 520Mbps, so we are getting better.

Any other suggestions?
Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 3 of 35
FURRYe38
Guru

20 feet is too close between the RBS and RBR...

Message 4 of 35
theoak
Luminary

@Oldironsides wrote:

I have the satellite behind my tv, hardwired to my PC.
Any other suggestions?

How many devices are hardwired in your bedroom?  You might want to consider a Powerline type solution from the plug the Orbi Router is on (or near) to a plug in the bedroom and then hardware that to your computer or other devices in your bedroom.  Considering the rooms are that close, you would probably get really good speeds via Powerline.  I would not go less than Powerline 1200 (AV2).  They have Powerline 2000 (2 Gbit) out now with multiple network ports also.  You can get a pair for a decent price.

I run powerline in my home for some cameras that I have on the edges of my wireless.  Due to the distance and the hops that are probably happening in my electrical wiring, my connection rate is far from stellar; however, it is waaay more than enough for the bandwidth of a single camera.  One of these days I may feel energetic and go in my crawl space and run some Cat 6/a or something.

Message 5 of 35
Oldironsides
Guide

Thank you.  I will relocate the router to anoher room and place the satellite a little further away.  I will report back tonight after work.

Message 6 of 35
Oldironsides
Guide

I have been thinking about trying powerline adapters.  However I wanted to just use one solution if available....

Question: If I do decide to go with powerline adapter, should I go wall socket -->powerline adpater-->orbi router<-->modem

or

wall socket-->powerline adapter-->modem (I do have 2 ethernet ports on the modem)

It may be trial and error, but any advice would be much appreciated.  I am going to see tonight if the proper distance between router and satellite will help my speed.  If not powerline baby.

Message 7 of 35
Oldironsides
Guide

Moving the satellite and router further apart did not correct my wired speed from the satellite.
Message 8 of 35
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Oldironsides wrote:
Moving the satellite and router further apart did not correct my wired speed from the satellite.

what firmware are you using?

Message 9 of 35
theoak
Luminary

@Oldironsides wrote:

I have been thinking about trying powerline adapters.  However I wanted to just use one solution if available....

Question: If I do decide to go with powerline adapter, should I go wall socket -->powerline adpater-->orbi router<-->modem

or

wall socket-->powerline adapter-->modem (I do have 2 ethernet ports on the modem)

It may be trial and error, but any advice would be much appreciated.  I am going to see tonight if the proper distance between router and satellite will help my speed.  If not powerline baby.

If your Orbi is in Access Point mode, then it won't matter.

If you Orbi is in Router mode, then plug it into your Orbi.

Again, with your rooms so close, a Powerline setup may be able to pull off a gig connection and hence give you the full bandwidth of your ISP.

Make sure you get a set of Powerline adapters than can pull off at least a gig throughput like the 1200 (AV2) or higher.  I don't think the cost is that much more for 2000, so I say go for that.  There are 2 types of flavors out there: AV2 and G.hn.  Which ever one you pick, if you want to add more later, it will need to be the same.  AV2 seems to be used more.  I have AV2 - a pair are TPLinks, another pair are Netgear.  All 4 work together fine.

By the way ... you getting gig internet is soooo not fair 🙂 I am sitting here with 40 Mbps DSL you are "only" getting 400 😉  One day ... maybe my subdivision will grow up ...

Message 10 of 35
Oldironsides
Guide

both the orbi router and the orbi satellite are on firmware version 2.5.1.8

Message 11 of 35
Oldironsides
Guide

@theoak I feel bad squablling over this amount of speed. I really am lucky to be pulling this much down (even on wifi, I get close to 500-600).  Just trying to get the maximum amount I am paying for.  

really wish I could find one product that could solve my issues, but will buy some powerline adapters next if I get to fed up.  

I'm just really curious what speeds the community is pulling off their satellite device when hardwired. Am I the only one with this issue?

Message 12 of 35
theoak
Luminary

I am just teasing about the speed.  I completely agree with you.  Your ISP is delivering you gig, you want gig everywhere in your home.  I don't blame you.

Message 13 of 35
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Oldironsides wrote:

There's your problem....

Message 14 of 35
FURRYe38
Guru

I'll check with mine again and see. I have 1G/50Mbps. I mostly only test for wired wired speeds. Wireless has too many variables that can contribute to not seeing full speeds over wireless. You at least seeing near 900Mpbs on wired which is good. 

@Oldironsides wrote:

I feel bad squablling over this amount of speed. I really am lucky to be pulling this much down (even on wifi, I get close to 500-600).  Just trying to get the maximum amount I am paying for.  

really wish I could find one product that could solve my issues, but will buy some powerline adapters next if I get to fed up.  

I'm just really curious what speeds the community is pulling off their satellite device when hardwired. Am I the only one with this issue?

Message 15 of 35
Oldironsides
Guide

@Retired_Member wrote:

@Oldironsides wrote:

There's your problem....

What firmware do you recommend?  I have not tried downgrading firmware yet.  This may be my next test...

Message 16 of 35
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Oldironsides wrote:

@Retired_Member wrote:

@Oldironsides wrote:

There's your problem....

What firmware do you recommend?  I have not tried downgrading firmware yet.  This may be my next test...

Your best bet is to identify the previous stable version you had.  You can also see what's available on the download area for your Orbi model.  There are many happy campers who have reverted back to 2.3.5.30.

Message 17 of 35
Oldironsides
Guide

@Retired_Member wrote:

@Oldironsides wrote:

@Retired_Member wrote:

@Oldironsides wrote:

There's your problem....

Your best bet is to identify the previous stable version you had.  You can also see what's available on the download area for your Orbi model.  There are many happy campers who have reverted back to 2.3.5.30.

New to the product.  Never had a stable firmware yet.  But I am down to try anything and everything to get this baby handled. 

Message 18 of 35
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@Oldironsides wrote:

Just bought the Orbi AC3000 kit from costco to maximize my 1gig internet speed provided by Comcast.  I must say my wifi speeds are amazing (roughly 500 - 700Mbps)...  I get about 400 Mbps from satellite and I get 900 Mbps from main unit (same PC, long ethernet cord). 

Are these units capable of delivering close to gig speeds with a ethernet cable connected to satellite Orbi???

Unless it's wired backhaul setup, it's unlikely you'll get anything close to Gigabit via Ethernet connection from Satellite.  Check Orbi/Satellite wireless backhaul linkrate , which should give an idea of what to expect.  I also have Comcast Gigabit and my wireless backhaul is steady at 1300Mbps.  My max download speed via Satellite is similar to yours on a good day ~500Mbps.  On a bad day it's half, hovering around 250Mbps-300Mbps.

Orbi Internet Speed Tier:

Internet Speed Tier.png

Message 19 of 35
theoak
Luminary

Great post above.

The most you could theoretically get is 866 via wfi.  Real life will be lower.

Directly wired, 1 gig - based on how your ISP is doing at the time.

Other wired technologies, like Powerline - potentially 1 gig - depends on your home electrical wiring.

Well, it does depend on the wifi device also.  Sure your router can do 866, but if your phone (making up an example) is 433, 433 is all you are going to get for that device.

Message 20 of 35
FURRYe38
Guru

@SW_ 

Just curious, you have not seen wireless backhaul connection rate between the RBS and RBR with 1733Mbps? I presume this would only be achived in near perfect conditions. 

Message 21 of 35
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

No.  I've not seen 1733Mbps in my current setup.  Here is what Orbi backhaul shows right now for the 2 Satellites:

root@RBR50:/# wlanconfig ath2 list
ADDR               AID CHAN TXRATE RXRATE RSSI MINRSSI MAXRSSI IDLE  TXSEQ  RXSEQ  CAPS        ACAPS     ERP    STATE MAXRATE(DOT11) HTCAPS ASSOCTIME    IEs   MODE                   PSMODE                                                                                                
14:59:c0:3b:xx:xx    1  157 1300M   1300M   36      35      49    0      0   65535   EPs         0          b              0           AWPSM 00:09:19     RSN WME IEEE80211_MODE_11AC_VHT80   0
14:59:c0:3b:xx:xx    2  157 975M    975M   32      31      41    0      0   65535   EPs         0          b              0           AWPSM 00:00:37     RSN WME IEEE80211_MODE_11AC_VHT80   0
Message 22 of 35
FURRYe38
Guru

Whats the distance between the RBR and RBS? 

Probably distance, environmet and building materials will be a factor in not seeing 1733Mpbs I presume.

@SW_ wrote:

No.  I've not seen 1733Mbps in my current setup.  Here is what Orbi backhaul shows right now for the 2 Satellites:

root@RBR50:/# wlanconfig ath2 list
ADDR               AID CHAN TXRATE RXRATE RSSI MINRSSI MAXRSSI IDLE  TXSEQ  RXSEQ  CAPS        ACAPS     ERP    STATE MAXRATE(DOT11) HTCAPS ASSOCTIME    IEs   MODE                   PSMODE                                                                                                
14:59:c0:3b:xx:xx    1  157 1300M   1300M   36      35      49    0      0   65535   EPs         0          b              0           AWPSM 00:09:19     RSN WME IEEE80211_MODE_11AC_VHT80   0
14:59:c0:3b:xx:xx    2  157 975M    975M   32      31      41    0      0   65535   EPs         0          b              0           AWPSM 00:00:37     RSN WME IEEE80211_MODE_11AC_VHT80   0

Message 23 of 35
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

Distance is roughly around 50ft to 60ft to each Satellite respectively.  I might get higher backhaul linkrate with line of sight, but it's not practical given the walls in betweeen nor it's likely going to make much of a difference for daily use.  As long as I don't hear/get a complain about disconnect/slow WiFi speed, 250Mbps-500Mbps with full WiFi coverage/range is good enough.

Message 24 of 35
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok. Sounds good. Ya, I think 1733Mpbs needs line of site and near perfect conditions. Building materials and distance will be a factor.

Keep the home happy. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@SW_ wrote:

Distance is roughly around 50ft to 60ft to each Satellite respectively.  I might get higher backhaul linkrate with line of sight, but it's not practical given the walls in betweeen nor it's likely going to make much of a difference for daily use.  As long as I don't hear/get a complain about disconnect/slow WiFi speed, 250Mbps-500Mbps with full WiFi coverage/range is good enough.

Message 25 of 35
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 34 replies
  • 12 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7