Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50 half wifi speed

orbiinthehouse
Initiate

RBR50 half wifi speed

Hello all,

I have Gigabit Internet in the house. Then a RBR50 in AP mode connected to the modem downstairs. And RBS50 is upstairs wirelessly backhaul to RBR50. Both are on firmware: V2.7.3.22

When connected to both RBR50 and RBS50 using ethernet, I can get full gigabit speed. 

When connected to RBR50 using wifi, I can get 800M speed, which is normal due to RBR50 is 802.11ac 

However, when connected to RBS50 using wifi, I can only get around 400M, never passed 500M, which seems only half of the wireless capacity. 

I'm aware that mesh systems without a dedicated backhaul band could result in halfed wifi speed when connected to satellites. But RBK50 should be using a dedicated band, thus I guess it should not be the case? Is it normal? and if not, what should I do to fix it? 

Thanks!

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: RBR50 half wifi speed

The 400mbps is more realistic. I'm highly doubtful you're getting 800mbps over wireless. Not sure how you're testing it. 

The reason why is the RBR50's fronthaul (what devices connect to) is only 866mbps link speed. And link speed isn't throughput speed. Because of network overhead, actual throughput tends to be around 55-65 (some will hit 75%) of what link speed is. 

So even if you're connected at the 866mbps link, you're actual throughput is 400-550mbps. 

I'd take a look at a tested review from a site that does a great job of testing and actually goes over specifics of how they're testing. 

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/33028-netgear-orbi-reviewed

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
plemans
Guru

The 400mbps is more realistic. I'm highly doubtful you're getting 800mbps over wireless. Not sure how you're testing it. 

The reason why is the RBR50's fronthaul (what devices connect to) is only 866mbps link speed. And link speed isn't throughput speed. Because of network overhead, actual throughput tends to be around 55-65 (some will hit 75%) of what link speed is. 

So even if you're connected at the 866mbps link, you're actual throughput is 400-550mbps. 

I'd take a look at a tested review from a site that does a great job of testing and actually goes over specifics of how they're testing. 

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/33028-netgear-orbi-reviewed

Message 2 of 3
orbiinthehouse
Initiate

Thank you for the response! 

You are right about the speed test, I checked the logs and very rarely got speed over 600m, majority of times, it's between 400m to 550m. 

But I noticed when connected wirelessly to the satellite, I usually got 400~450m speed, which is less than directly connected to the router. Guess it might due to the backhaul overhead then? 

Anyway, thanks, and I'm good now. Maybe upgrade to wifi6 next year to fully take advantage of gigabit Internet. 

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7