Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR50 implicit beamforming broken?

cahiatt
Tutor

RBR50 implicit beamforming broken?

So I have an RBR50 as an AP and a RBS50 satellite on wired backhaul. 2.2.1.210 firmware on both. I was tinkering with settings and about the only one that had any obvious difference is the implicit beamforming. It indicates when enabled it boosts wifi speed, range and reliability.

This actually seems the opposite happens. If I enable this my wifi speeds will drop between 70 and 90 meg up and down. If I turn it back off I start getting 350 to 450 meg up and down.

Is this another one of their on actually means off firmware bugs?
Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only), RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only)
Message 1 of 4
ekhalil
Master

From what device are you making the measurements?
Usually Orbi broadcasts radio in all directions. With beamforming, the router determines where your device (which supports Beamforming) is located and projects a stronger signal in that specific direction.
There are two types of Beamforming:
- Explicit Beamforming: supported in newer devices (most but not all 802.11ac devices)
- Implicit Beamforming: a technique used by Netgear to improve the signal for even older devices that don’t support Explicit Beamforming.

I guess that what happened to you is that you have old and new devices close to each other and somehow affected negatively on the targeted result of focusing the signal towards each device.
Message 2 of 4
JoeCymru
Virtuoso

Echoing @ekhalil , the Orbi with implicit beamforming off is by default explicit beamforming. Implicit beamfgorming is more or less phased out with 802.11ac, but Orbi gives the option for older mobile devices that are not compatible. For newer devices, sometimes this can become an issue. I have that issue. Just for yuks, I enabled implicit beamforming then walked around my house and noticed a significant change in how quickly my phone switched wifi sources. Even had one short drop, which I never get normally. I agree that the blurb is misleading. It should have a better description.

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

How was the FW updated? Auto update via the routers web page or manually? 

If Autoupdate, I recommend you try a manual FW-reload of the router. Then factory reset the ruoter and set up from scratch. Try some speedtesting with default settings first, then try to enable Beamforming and MIMO. Disable Fast Roaming and IPv6 as well. Test differences wtih and without Beamforming and MIMO enabled. 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

@cahiatt wrote:
So I have an RBR50 as an AP and a RBS50 satellite on wired backhaul. 2.2.1.210 firmware on both. I was tinkering with settings and about the only one that had any obvious difference is the implicit beamforming. It indicates when enabled it boosts wifi speed, range and reliability.

This actually seems the opposite happens. If I enable this my wifi speeds will drop between 70 and 90 meg up and down. If I turn it back off I start getting 350 to 450 meg up and down.

Is this another one of their on actually means off firmware bugs?

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7