Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50 intermittent DNS lookup issues

kevindubs
Star

RBR50 intermittent DNS lookup issues

I have RBR50 (Firmware V2.7.2.104), with one RBS50 satellite, connected to a CM1000v2 cable modem, Comcast ISP.

Starting 3/14, I sporadically get DNS lookup errors.

I've tried setting DNS servers to a) Get Automatically from ISP b) 75.75.75.75/75.75.76.76 and c) 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4

same result. When the error happens, I cannot resolve new sites, but things like Netflix continue to stream fine.

On the router, if I go into Internet Setup and click the Test button, the light ring on the router goes blinking white, then all is fine for a while.

On 3/15, the issue occurred about 5 times during the day and 3 during the evening.

I also tried power cycling the modem and router, no luck.

We live in an apartment building, both my wife and I working from home. We haven't moved or disconnected anything in months.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Model: CM1000|Ultra-High Speed Cable Modem—DOCSIS® 3.1 Ready, RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 135
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR50 intermittent DNS lookup issues

Try a factory reset and setup frorm scratch. 

Has Armor or Cicle been ever enabled?

Message 2 of 135
kevindubs
Star

One extra note to the above, it does seem to occur more frequently in the evening, less than an hour between errors.

Message 3 of 135
FURRYe38
Guru

Also check your NTP settings. Make sure they are correct and test the DST option to make sure the time is correct. 

Message 4 of 135
kevindubs
Star

I will try factory reset tomorrow.

No to Armour and Circle.

Basically the same setup we've always had, except for firmware updates. Had the Orbi for years and modem for almost 1 year.

NTP is GMT-5, uto adjust for DST, use defalt NETGEAR NTP and the time is correct.

Message 5 of 135
FURRYe38
Guru

When was the FW updated and when did you first notice this problem?

Message 6 of 135
kevindubs
Star

First noticed Sunday 3/14. Seems to happen more in the evening.

I don't remember when I updated FW, but I don't think it was in the past week.

Knock on wood, but I've never really had any issues with my Orbi.

One other thing is I live in an apt building (been here almost a year) and we did get a new tenant next door on Snday. Not sure if that could cause anything.

Message 7 of 135

I had the same exact issue. FW 2.7.2.104. Been running since release. Intermittent DNS lookup issues. First noticed Sunday 3/14. Seems to happen more that evening and even this morning.  I tried changing to vaious DNS providers and the issue remained.  Ended up doing a full factory reset and reconfigure.  That seems to have resolved the issue.  My theory is there is a day light savings time bug at the root of this...

Message 8 of 135
FURRYe38
Guru

Is your NTP settings set up correctly for the time zone and DST? 

What settings are you using? 

@NoNo_BadDog wrote:

I had the same exact issue. FW 2.7.2.104. Been running since release. Intermittent DNS lookup issues. First noticed Sunday 3/14. Seems to happen more that evening and even this morning.  I tried changing to vaious DNS providers and the issue remained.  Ended up doing a full factory reset and reconfigure.  That seems to have resolved the issue.  My theory is there is a day light savings time bug at the root of this...

Message 9 of 135
mrkengos
Tutor

having the same DNS issue and have been manually resetting the DNS to get internet back.  I my time is correct in the settings - I guess I'll have to do a factory reset to resolve the issue because it keeps coming back after several reboots.  

Message 10 of 135
rubberbay
Tutor

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 11 of 135
SlimTrigger
Tutor

I am experiencing EXACTLY the same problems as KevinDubs

RBR50, Firmware V2.7.2.104

ISP is Comcast

Problem started March 14, still here on March 16 - lose internet connection multiple times, generally 1 to 2 hour intervals

Same issue whether I allow ISP to pick DNS (75.75.75.75 / 75.75.76.76) of I manually select DNS (8.8.8.8 / 8.8.4.4)

Problem extends across all devices - wired and wireless, Windows, Android, iOS, and Echo units)

Must reboot the modem to regain internet services'

Nor recent changes to firmware, ISP connection or the devices used.

What is going on, and how do we fix it?

Message 12 of 135
FURRYe38
Guru

Others in that reddit thread methioned checing your NTP settings to ensure they are correct. 

What is the Mfr and model# of your modem you use? 

If this problem just appeared long after a FW update, seems like this maybe a timing issue with the recent DST time change. No idea why that would effect DNS or Orbi though. 

https://geeksadvice.com/how-to-fix-dns_probe_finished_nxdomain-error/

@SlimTrigger wrote:

I am experiencing EXACTLY the same problems as KevinDubs

ISP is Comcast

Problem started March 14, still here on March 16 - lose internet connection multiple times, generally 1 to 2 hour intervals

Same issue whether I allow ISP to pick DNS (75.75.75.75 / 75.75.76.76) of I manually select DNS (8.8.8.8 / 8.8.4.4)

Problem extends across all devices - wired and wireless, Windows, Android, iOS, and Echo units)

Must reboot the modem to regain internet services'

What is going on, and how do we fix it?

Message 13 of 135
mrkengos
Tutor

I did a factory reset last night to resolve per others have suggested on the reddit thread. It's ok so far but it's only been 8 hours. Will report back if I encounter the issue again.
Message 14 of 135
FURRYe38
Guru

Kewl, keep us posted...

@mrkengos wrote:
I did a factory reset last night to resolve per others have suggested on the reddit thread. It's ok so far but it's only been 8 hours. Will report back if I encounter the issue again.

Message 15 of 135
vajim
Master

@mrkengos wrote:

did you reinstall V2.7.2.104? or whatever firmware that may have been giving you the problems?

Message 16 of 135
mrkengos
Tutor

I'm using the latest firmware - V2.7.2.104.  Did not reinstall, just did the factory reset with the physical reset button in the back of the units.  I reset both the router and satellite and had to set everything up again. 

Message 17 of 135
vajim
Master

@mrkengos wrote:

I'm using the latest firmware - V2.7.2.104.  Did not reinstall, just did the factory reset with the physical reset button in the back of the units.  I reset both the router and satellite and had to set everything up again. 

Nice....hopefully V2.7.2.104 will prove stable for you.  Yes, keep us posted.  Thanks

Message 18 of 135

Reporting back...  24 hours after factory reset of FW 2.7.2.104.  All is working correctly again.  No disconnects. 

Message 19 of 135
vajim
Master

@NoNo_BadDog wrote:

Reporting back...  24 hours after factory reset of FW 2.7.2.104.  All is working correctly again.  No disconnects. 

Thanks for letting us.  Glad 2.7.2.104 appears to be working for you.

It's somewhat sad that most of these follow up reports mention the factory reset.  Not something most people look forward to.

Message 20 of 135
kevindubs
Star

I changed from "Use NETGEAR NTP Server" to time.nist.gov

Will see what happens. If i still have issues, will factory reset this evening and let you know.

Thanks for the help.

Message 21 of 135
riegelj
Initiate

I am experiencing EXACTLY the same problems

ISP is Comcast

Problem started March 14, still here on March 17 - lose internet connection multiple times, generally 1 to 2 hour intervals

Same issue whether I allow ISP to pick DNS (75.75.75.75 / 75.75.76.76) of I manually select DNS - OpenDNS (208.67.222.222 / 208.67.220.220)

Problem extends across all devices - wired and wireless, Windows, Android)

Test Internet button seems to temporarily fix the problem.

Message 22 of 135
vajim
Master

@riegelj wrote:

I am experiencing EXACTLY the same problems

ISP is Comcast

Problem started March 14, still here on March 17 - lose internet connection multiple times, generally 1 to 2 hour intervals

Same issue whether I allow ISP to pick DNS (75.75.75.75 / 75.75.76.76) of I manually select DNS - OpenDNS (208.67.222.222 / 208.67.220.220)

Problem extends across all devices - wired and wireless, Windows, Android)

Test Internet button seems to temporarily fix the problem.

yup.....

@FURRYe38  is all over this

Message 23 of 135
tangelogee
Initiate

I'm glad I'm not the only one having this issue! My house is going crazy with all of the cannot connect to the internet errors on my Google home devices.

@kevindubs wrote:

I have RBR50 (Firmware V2.7.2.104), with one RBS50 satellite, connected to a CM1000v2 cable modem, Comcast ISP.

Starting 3/14, I sporadically get DNS lookup errors.

I've tried setting DNS servers to a) Get Automatically from ISP b) 75.75.75.75/75.75.76.76 and c) 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4

same result. When the error happens, I cannot resolve new sites, but things like Netflix continue to stream fine.

On the router, if I go into Internet Setup and click the Test button, the light ring on the router goes blinking white, then all is fine for a while.

On 3/15, the issue occurred about 5 times during the day and 3 during the evening.

I also tried power cycling the modem and router, no luck.

We live in an apartment building, both my wife and I working from home. We haven't moved or disconnected anything in months.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Message 24 of 135
kevindubs
Star

Changing NTP server did not help. The problem recurred again this morning. Will try factory reset tonight.

Message 25 of 135
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7