Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR50 intermittent DNS lookup issues

tangelogee
Initiate

Yet another reason to dump DST...

Message 26 of 135
SlimTrigger
Tutor

Success (at least for the last 20 hours)

I changed my NTP server to 1.pool.ntp.org

AND I turned OFF "Automatically adjust to daylight savings time"

Then rebooted.  No problems since.

Message 27 of 135
vajim
Master

@SlimTrigger wrote:

Success (at least for the last 20 hours)

I changed my NTP server to 1.pool.ntp.org

AND I turned OFF "Automatically adjust to daylight savings time"

Then rebooted.  No problems since.

Until the next firmware update

Message 28 of 135
mrkengos
Tutor

Reporting back after 36 hours after factory reset.  Everything is working properly as others have also reported.  I guess if all else fails, just do a factory reset and it should save you from more headaches.  Good luck all. 

I'm on latest firmware - V2.7.2.104

Message 29 of 135
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for letting us know. 

I'd make a backup configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@mrkengos wrote:

Reporting back after 36 hours after factory reset.  Everything is working properly as others have also reported.  I guess if all else fails, just do a factory reset and it should save you from more headaches.  Good luck all. 

I'm on latest firmware - V2.7.2.104

Message 30 of 135

Update... 48+ hours after factory reset all is working properly.  Hope this DST/DNS bug will be resolved before fall. 

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 31 of 135
vajim
Master

@NoNo_BadDog wrote:

Update... 48+ hours after factory reset all is working properly.  Hope this DST/DNS bug will be resolved before fall. 

nice

lets hope that's true.

Message 32 of 135
ChristineT
Admin

@riegelj @kevindubs @NoNo_BadDog 

Hello Orbi Community! 

Thank you all for your contribution to this issue! Our NETGEAR engineers are looking for users that are still facing this issue to work with them directly to identy the root cause of the issue. If anyone is willing to work with our engineering team to debug this issue in real-time please send me a private message with your contact information and best time to reach you. 

We are committed to getting to the bottom of this issue but need your help.

Thank you in advance!

ChristineT 

Message 33 of 135
archp
Star

Message 34 of 135
Brentx
Tutor

Better yet - tell your customers that its a support issue and requires payment to fix despite it being something you insterted via firmware update or other.. oh wait - you already are doing this!

Message 35 of 135
vajim
Master

@Brentx wrote:

Better yet - tell your customers that its a support issue and requires payment to fix despite it being something you insterted via firmware update or other.. oh wait - you already are doing this!

If you'll look around in this forum, several moderators have reached out offering to help.  Perhaps you should do that.   

Message 36 of 135
bdc2021
Initiate

Steps to solve the ongoing DNS Lookup issues for all Negear Orbi modules as a result of a Netgear developer introducing a Cobal /Y2000 Daylight Savings Bug 3/14/2021:

1. Full Netgear Orbi Factory Reset

2. Uncheck  Advanced>Administration>NTP Settings>Automatically adjust for daylight savings time

3. Update to firmware V2.6.2.104

BTW it took me 3 days with Spectrum Support,  a Sectrum Truck rolled to check the cables, a new Sectrum Modem, all new cables - to finally determine it was a Netgear Orbi Daylight Savings Y2k bug!!!!!!!!!!

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 37 of 135
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks or letting us know. 

Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed. 

@bdc2021 wrote:

Steps to solve the ongoing DNS Lookup issues for all Orbin modules as a result of a Netgear developer introducing a Cobal /Y2000 Daylight Savings Bug 3/14/2021:

1. Full Netgear Orbi Factory Reset

2. Uncheck  Advanced>Administration>NTP Settings>Automatically adjust for daylight savings time

3, Update to firmware V2.6.2.104

Message 38 of 135
archp
Star

Resetting stuff isn't a solution or downgrading firmware. This is about customer experience. I have 4 satellites and work from home. Also have custom ssids for 2.4ghz, the solution shouldn't be to make customers unscrew the company's screw ups. Literally all of these solutions put the onus on the user. If support was free they would have been notified much sooner as many more people would gave called in and complained. The mere fact that every support call prompts the user to spend more is why they have no clue what's going on. Its like saying everytime your engine stops working in your car, swap out the engine, well I don't have a formula one team at my disposal. Moderators aren't netgear employees either. Just a terrible service and support options for such expensive network gear. This is your halo product and your solutions are reset and spend hours getting back to status quo, how about doing your jobs and fixing it on your end.
Message 39 of 135
FURRYe38
Guru

If you want your equipment to work and troubleshoot thru the problems then a reset is a valid troubleshooting step. Has been for a long time. Others are posting that is working for them to fix this issue. So try it out. 

Also saves time if you have a good working backup configuration that helps to apply after doing a reset. Good users have this one hand. 

Or reach out to NG support

If your not satified with your product, find something else. 

Good Luck. 

@archp wrote:
Resetting stuff isn't a solution or downgrading firmware. This is about customer experience. I have 4 satellites and work from home. Also have custom ssids for 2.4ghz, the solution shouldn't be to make customers unscrew the company's screw ups. Literally all of these solutions put the onus on the user. If support was free they would have been notified much sooner as many more people would gave called in and complained. The mere fact that every support call prompts the user to spend more is why they have no clue what's going on. Its like saying everytime your engine stops working in your car, swap out the engine, well I don't have a formula one team at my disposal. Moderators aren't netgear employees either. Just a terrible service and support options for such expensive network gear. This is your halo product and your solutions are reset and spend hours getting back to status quo, how about doing your jobs and fixing it on your end.

Message 40 of 135
archp
Star

That's a very condescending response, if you don't have an alternative to factory reset, then please keep your opinion to yourself 'guru'. If you don't like my response then don't respond.
Message 41 of 135
FURRYe38
Guru

Ill post as I see fit. Thanks. 

Message 42 of 135
archp
Star

Please factory reset your attitude.
Message 43 of 135
FURRYe38
Guru

Ooo, Send me to the burn unit. Heart

@archp wrote:
Please factory reset your attitude.

Message 45 of 135
alokeprasad
Mentor

This is not happening to all. It is now 4 days after the time change and I never lost DNS.

I. have "Automatically adjust for daylight savings time" unchecked and the Orbi time is 1 hr behind.

Does that mattar? All my devices are working correctly, my Win10 PC checks time on its own.  DNS is working (I use 1.1.1.1, 8.8.8.8, 208.67.222.222).  I think I'll leave everything as is.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 46 of 135
vajim
Master

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Ill post as I see fit. Thanks. 

Touchy itsn't he...??

Message 47 of 135
kevindubs
Star

I did factory reset yesterday afternoon, around 1:30pm.

Firmware 2.7.2.104

I changed NTP to time.nist.gov

Automatically adjust for DST is checked

DSN 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4

So far, so good.

Message 48 of 135
vajim
Master

@kevindubs wrote:

I did factory reset yesterday afternoon, around 1:30pm.

Firmware 2.7.2.104

I changed NTP to time.nist.gov

Automatically adjust for DST is checked

DSN 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4

So far, so good.

Nice

Lets hope it all works out for you.  

Message 49 of 135
alokeprasad
Mentor

Does it matter that my Orbi is 1 hr behind?

It is not set to adjust for DST automatically and did not.  It has been working fine.

Message 50 of 135
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7