Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR50 intermittent DNS lookup issues

stevel
Apprentice

Chiming in as another customer with this exact issue. I found that the traffic meter was on, but I am certain I never enabled that as I don't care about traffic data. I have disabled the meter, disabled auto-DST, changed the timezone and will do one more reboot - hoping that does the trick. I'll follow this thread for updated firmware announcement.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 101 of 135
archp
Star

I got new test firmware from the netgear engineering team, testing now.

Reverted back to correct timezone and enabled DST and pointed NTP back to Netgear.

Will let you know how it goes.

Message 102 of 135
archp
Star

Ok on test firmware 2.7.2.105 for a full day now, no disconnects.

Message 103 of 135
vajim
Master

@archp wrote:
Ok on test firmware 2.7.2.105 for a full day now, no disconnects.

i thought the latest FW was  2.7.2.104?

How's your Traffic Meter setting?

@archp
Message 104 of 135

@archp Did you simulate a day light savings time change with TM on while testing .105?

Message 105 of 135
archp
Star

2.7.2.105 is the test firmware that a netgear engineer sent me.

I was asked to check DST  to on and point NTP to netgear default.

My traffic meter settings were unchanged, its enabled to be on.

Message 106 of 135
vajim
Master

@archp wrote:

how much do they pay to be a beta tester?

Message 107 of 135
archp
Star

LMAO!  

You'd think they offer me something in return, right? But let's face it, a company that only offers 90 days of support out of the box, what can you expect? The correspondence has been very robotic as well. No apologies or thank you for testing, blah blah. 

Not like their support is worth much anyway, users like us are figuring this out, we already had a workaround before any test firmware was released as we have day jobs and wfh people need their wifi to be humming without issues.

My next upgrade to Wifi 6, I am going to look elsewhere, this entire expierence with Netgear falls far short of expectations for such an expensive product. I have a rotuer and 4 satellites, it cost me well over $1000 to set this all up and is one of the most expensive mesh systems out there. I expected way more from Netgear. 

Thank you all for your help with this, I am simply testing this out for the people so hopefully layman users don't have to scour reddit or comunnity forums to find answers. Also they'd likely have to do it all on their smartphones as their internet would keep going out.

@archp wrote:

how much do they pay to be a beta tester?

Message 108 of 135
SirVilhelm
Tutor

Has there been any update to this issue? Still waiting for a new firmware to hit the public. 

Message 109 of 135
vajim
Master

@SirVilhelm wrote:

Has there been any update to this issue? Still waiting for a new firmware to hit the public. 

And even then I'd wait and how many more systems the new firmware screws up.  Just trying to stay positive 

Message 110 of 135
SirVilhelm
Tutor

It's been 10 days with no update.
Message 111 of 135
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 112 of 135
archp
Star

A netgear engineer reached out to me on March 29th, after I tested the new firmware for 2 weeks with no issues. I replied no issues and never heard back.

It's absurd that they haven't released new firmware.

For the ppl that keep saying factory reset, sorry is that your solution after spending hundreds of dollars? Factory reset every DST or every time things screws up? It's like that guy is a Netgear apologist. Hey everytime your phone acts weird, factory reset. Everytime windows screws up, fresh install, what a moron. Likely a Netgear employee.
Netgear should be ashamed. Like they give a crap.
Message 113 of 135
FURRYe38
Guru

NG is offering a beta if you choose to do so. 

In the real of networking devices, factory rest is a valid and sometimes necessary troubleshooting step. But it's up to you though. For some, it does work and does help. 

I have never seen this DNS issue on my RBK50 system. But I guess I can't post my opinion nor experiences. No, not a NG employee. But you can have your opinion. 

Good Luck though. 

Message 114 of 135
archp
Star

Fury, why are you such a Netgear apologist? Do you work for Netgear? A company that have over $1B in sales and makes $120M in profit shouldn't struggle to put out such a simple fix, after numerous people have tested for weeks.
Message 115 of 135
FURRYe38
Guru

Never said anything about appologizing. Just offering up suggestions. 

Its up to you to take the suggestions and try them, or not. 

If you aren't looking for solutions, then maybe the forums are not for you. What forums are for. Help and information. Maybe you should understand that. 

Why don't you offer up some help and information instead of complaining. If not then you'll need to contact NG support directly. 

BTW, any NG employee have a N next to there forum user name. You can definally contact them freely.

Good Luck. 

Message 116 of 135
archp
Star

A factory reset isn't a solution for most users. Tell your grandma or parents, hey just factory reset and redo and reconfigure everything. Layman users or inexperienced ones likely used the free 90 support to get things setup to begin with.

The only reason people are looking at forums is because Netgear wants to charge for support after 90 days and their engineers are lazy as hell and do no testing on firmware releases.

Try putting yourself in the shoes of an average or inexperienced user. That's what companies are supposed to do.
Message 117 of 135
vajim
Master

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Never said anything about appologizing. Just offering up suggestions. 

Its up to you to take the suggestions and try them, or not. 

If you aren't looking for solutions, then maybe the forums are not for you. What forums are for. Help and information. Maybe you should understand that. 

Why don't you offer up some help and information instead of complaining. If not then you'll need to contact NG support directly. 

BTW, any NG employee have a N next to there forum user name. You can definally contact them freely.

Good Luck. 

You left out the part of your forum dominance (36k posts) and how you believe everything can be solved with the next firmware update and a factory reset 

Message 118 of 135
vajim
Master

@archp wrote:
A factory reset isn't a solution for most users. Tell your grandma or parents, hey just factory reset and redo and reconfigure everything. Layman users or inexperienced ones likely used the free 90 support to get things setup to begin with.

The only reason people are looking at forums is because Netgear wants to charge for support after 90 days and their engineers are lazy as hell and do no testing on firmware releases.

Try putting yourself in the shoes of an average or inexperienced user. That's what companies are supposed to do.

Concur

we do have to occasionally fight off the @FURRYe38 attack dogs 

Message 119 of 135
Ha_Ku_Na
Luminary

@archp wrote:

To be honest, the ORBI mesh stuff is not for "basic" users. They should buy a plug-and-play system.
Even most of my friends do not know what a wifi-mesh is. And I'm still far away from being a grandpa.
The reason for most of the (ORBI) wifi-mesh buyers is to provide a great coverance and performance for themself and/or the family.
If not, then they buyed a over-provisioned gadget.

Message 120 of 135
vajim
Master

@Ha_Ku_Na wrote:

@archp wrote:

To be honest, the ORBI mesh stuff is not for "basic" users. They should buy a plug-and-play system.
Even most of my friends do not know what a wifi-mesh is. And I'm still far away from being a grandpa.
The reason for most of the (ORBI) wifi-mesh buyers is to provide a great coverance and performance for themself and/or the family.
If not, then they buyed a over-provisioned gadget.

Nice opinion

However, I have found the Orbi to be a great plug and play system.  I've had my RBK50 for nearly 5 years and recently upgraded to the 753 and each time it was a simple setup and change the network name/password and it's done.  I don't tweak with the configurations nor do I use switches and multiple routers (ap mode, etc.)  From reading posts in here where folks have most of their problems is when they don't understand what mesh means and trying to run 2 routers, switches, etc.  Not saying it can't be done, but you really need to know what you're doing.  Never understood why someone would want to run 2 routers when most Orbi's can cover most homes with no problem.  I guess they're trying to provide wifi to the moon.  And then of course there's the whole issue of firmware where most think that life will stop if they don't grab the latest firmware.  Not true.  This grandpa is living proof.

Message 121 of 135
archp
Star

It's not overly complicated to set up, it also always depends on your own personal setup. I have a rbr50, 2 rbs50s, and 2 rbs20s, and as some of my devices can only connect to 2.4ghz, I had to a lot of customization on my end. I am not an expert by any means but also not a Layman either. The wifi was humming without an issues for 2 years and then DST broke it. I can't remember the steps I took 2 years ago when I created custom ssids, etc. Hence why a factory reset would have meant me redoing all the research and if you have a smart home, reconnecting all the devices etc.

So yes, while a factory reset would have worked for most users, it doesn't work for more complicated setup just based on the time involved in resetting and reconfiguring a lot of devices.

BTW it is suppose to be easy to use, it says on the orbi website 'Never worry about WiFi again', well for 2 years I didn't have to and doing a factory reset everytime it bugs out makes me worry about wifi again.

Once you buy something you shouldn't have to constantly troubleshoot via forums, Netgear engineers, and doing user acceptance testing on their behalf. That's my issue here.

Like calling tech support and they ask did you reboot.

I am thankful for all the help, but it was reddit that brought the issue and solutions to light, someone then just shared the link on this forum. The workarounds worked, Netgear was informed, the issues were identified, new firmware was tested by numerous users, been over a month now and no fix or updates without contacting Netgear employees. That's bad customer service and if you all think that's fine then good for you. I expect better service for spending $1000s on Netgear products and ecosystem.
Message 122 of 135
FURRYe38
Guru

To help with factory resets, users should and are advised and reminded to have a back up configuration saved to file. This helps save time should a reset be needed. Someting i try to mention in my responces. 

Message 123 of 135
vajim
Master

@FURRYe38 wrote:

To help with factory resets, users should and are advised and reminded to have a back up configuration saved to file. This helps save time should a reset be needed. Someting i try to mention in my responces. 

factory resets (in most cases) should be viewed as a lat resort.  Did you or Netgear mess something up?

Message 124 of 135
l8nc
Apprentice

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Note: I think the reason the factory-reset approach has worked for others is exactly because they did NOT save configs to backup, and then (after restore) did not set both auto-adjust-DST and "Enable Traffic Meter".

Has anyone demonstrated that you can still use both settings active after a factory reset with firmware V2.7.2.104?

Message 125 of 135
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7