Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR50 internet connection disappears when connecting to other satellite

Beeldbuisje
Guide

RBR50 internet connection disappears when connecting to other satellite

I have an RBR50 mesh system with 2 satellites as router setup.

When my computing device is connected to one of 3 appliances (main unit as well a satellite), I have fast and stabile internet connection.

If I move my laptop, smartphone, or iPad to another location in my house with the result the mobile device has to switch over to another satellite, my internet connection disappears although the wifi connection still exists.

My iPhone XsMax and my iPad 2020 needs a switch to airplane mode, my Macbook Pro A1708 needs a reboot for having internet connection again.

When I setup my RBR50 as an access point and disable the router function, this problem is gone.

Does someone know how I can solve this? I'm not familiar with this Orbi's settings.

Thanks!

Gert

Message 1 of 7
plemans
Guru

1. what modem/gateway is it connected to?

2. how is that modem/gateway setup? 

3. what firmware is on the router and the satellites?

4. How are the satellites connected to the router? Using a wired backhaul? Wilreless backhaul? and if wired, what switch are they running through?

Message 2 of 7
Beeldbuisje
Guide

1. Belgian Telenet modem Docsis 3.1

2. What do you exactly mean with this? Coax cable enters this modem. Wifi disabled, LAN directly connected to RBR50. Telenet modem is further in his default settings.

3. Router V2.7.3.22, both satellites are on V2.7.3.22 as well

4. The satellites are connected through a wired backhaul, using a 16 port TP-Link switch TL-SG1016D

Message 3 of 7
plemans
Guru

@Beeldbuisje wrote:

1. Belgian Telenet modem Docsis 3.1---what model? saying who have and that its a docsis 3.1 doesn't tell us much. 

2. What do you exactly mean with this? Coax cable enters this modem. Wifi disabled, LAN directly connected to RBR50. Telenet modem is further in his default settings.---disabling wifi doesn't disabling router. if its a combo device you could be in a double nat still. 

3. Router V2.7.3.22, both satellites are on V2.7.3.22 as well

4. The satellites are connected through a wired backhaul, using a 16 port TP-Link switch TL-SG1016D

A double nat happens when you cascade more than 1 router.
https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
Fixes? There’s 3 options but only use 1.
1. Put the modem/gateway in modem only/pass through mode. This disables its routing functions.
2. Leave the modem/gateway in router mode but put the Netgears IP address into its DMZ. This forwards the data to the netgear. You can either leave the modem/gateway’s wireless enabled or disabled. Just make sure its using a different wifi channel to prevent interference
3. Put the Netgear into access point mode. This disables its routing functions. Wifi/ethernet still works but it does disable some features.
https://kb.netgear.com/26765/Which-features-are-disabled-on-my-NETGEAR-router-when-it-is-set-to-AP-M...

Message 4 of 7
Beeldbuisje
Guide

Ok, I finally managed to find the more specific type number of this Telenet modem: CH8568LG. 

It has to be setup on the website of our ISP. Disabling his routing functions isn't allowed here.

Putting Netgear in access point modus is the very last option, because some useful features (dynDNS for alarm system etc) has to be done with a second other router. Second: I have a lot to change on devices with fixed ip-adresses.

I'll try the DMZ option, but just 2 other questions:

1. In this router's Advanced wireless settings, you can enable/disable Daisy-Chain Topology. In my case I use Backhaul, so Daisy-chain topology could be disabled, right?

2. I've read on this forum there's a software-update for our RBR50s. Could this change something on my behavior?

Message 5 of 7
plemans
Guru

@Beeldbuisje wrote:

Ok, I finally managed to find the more specific type number of this Telenet modem: CH8568LG. ---yep. combo device with its own routing functions. 

It has to be setup on the website of our ISP. Disabling his routing functions isn't allowed here.

Putting Netgear in access point modus is the very last option, because some useful features (dynDNS for alarm system etc) has to be done with a second other router. Second: I have a lot to change on devices with fixed ip-adresses.

I'll try the DMZ option,---if you're able to do so in the Telenet modem. It was all in a different language and I was to lazy to post in all in google translate for its manual 🙂  but just 2 other questions:

1. In this router's Advanced wireless settings, you can enable/disable Daisy-Chain Topology. In my case I use Backhaul, so Daisy-chain topology could be disabled, right?  it could be. Do you need to? No. it should be defaulting to the wired connection and not even attempting to use the wireless backhaul. I hardwire mine in all the time and don't change a thing on daisy chaining. 

2. I've read on this forum there's a software-update for our RBR50s. Could this change something on my behavior?--it could make it worse. There's been quite a few complaints lately on the forums with the current versions of firmware. But not everyone has issues. So if its working well for you and not causing issues, it might be the case for "if it works, don't mess with it". 🙂 But updates do sometimes fix security holes. Kind of up to you if you'd like to try the update or sit with what version you're on. 

Message 6 of 7
Beeldbuisje
Guide

I disabled the Daisy Chain function as mentioned this morning. I walked around in my house with my Macbook and so far no more problems...

Hopefully it's solved now. Next thing will be the DMZ option. This is also a possibility. 

Many thanks for your help and clues!

Gert

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7