Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50 internet speed lower on lan ports.

speakercpu
Aspirant

RBR50 internet speed lower on lan ports.

I have a router and sat. 2100 sqft home. I did a speed test inside the Orbi iphone app and Orbi shows the full internet speed.

However, when doing a internet speed from a pc connected to a lan port on the Orbi router, there is a loss of about 100mb.

I have tried resetting the Orbi router, connected pc to different lan ports on the Orbi router, and using a different cord.

I would think it would not be that much of processing from the Orbi router wan port to one of the lan ports.

I have updated the firmware, the issue was there before updating the firmware.

Not sure what is next, or is it expected to loose this much due to how Netgear has decided to do switch on this product.

Thanks

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR50 internet speed lower on lan ports.

Be sure your PCs networking adapter supports 1000Mbps connection rates. If thats conneting at 100Mpbs, then this will be a cause. 

Be sure to use a good quality LAN cable between the PC and RBR. CAT6 is recommended. 

Message 2 of 9
speakercpu
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply. The cable is cat6. I went into the statistics page in advance. It shows I am connected at 1gb.

Message 3 of 9
Mikey94025
Hero

@speakercpu wrote:

Thanks for the reply. The cable is cat6. I went into the statistics page in advance. It shows I am connected at 1gb.

OK, what you're seeing is unexpected so we must investigate other possibilities.

However, when doing a internet speed from a pc connected to a lan port

> on the Orbi router, there is a loss of about 100mb.

1. How are you measuring the speed on your PC?  Is it via a website or app like speedtest.net?  That is preferrable than reading the speed from the Orbi admin website or app.
  2. Can you connect your PC directly to your ISP modem and measure the speed the same way?  That is another way to isolate whether it is your PC or the Orbi.
  3. Do your wireless devices connected to your Orbi show the same speed drop on the speedtest.net website or phone app?  This tells us whether it is a wired-only issue or an Orbi-wide issue.
  4. Is your ISP modem also a router device, e.g., Comcast internet gateway?  If it is also a router, is it in bridge mode to your Orbi or do you have two routers operating (Double NAT)?  If Double NAT then there is some inefficiency and we can help resolbe that.

Message 4 of 9
speakercpu
Aspirant

I was measuring speed using bing internet speed test.

I switch to the website/then app for speedtest.net. Connected straight to the modem sent by spectrum i get 230.

I had contract tech look at it a few mins ago. He said that spectrum would need to send one of their ppl out to look at it.

Then I hooked the Orbi back up, and check on wifi using the speedtest.net app. it was 225 download.

When I power off the modem and the Orbi router..then power the modem back on(and wait for it to be online), turn the Orbi router on and wait for it to give my pc(on lan port) an ip, I used the app for speedtest.net and got 325mb.

Message 5 of 9
speakercpu
Aspirant

Is your ISP modem also a router device, e.g., Comcast internet gateway?  If it is also a router, is it in bridge mode to your Orbi or do you have two routers operating (Double NAT)?  If Double NAT then there is some inefficiency and we can help resolbe that.

=== I am not sure about this, have not found a way to see.

Message 6 of 9
speakercpu
Aspirant

Message 7 of 9
speakercpu
Aspirant

I think I am going to close this out. I am tested the speed using the speedtest app on windows machine, connected to the Orbi router on the lan port, and I get almost all of the paid bandwith minus about 25mb...

Seems like the something must be happening during the day on my network to slow it down some...I will need to look into that.

thanks!

Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Daytime speeds may vary depending on whats going on on your network side of things and also whats going on with the WAN side of things. Rememer, theres alot more people working from home now days so the ISPs are trying to maintain speeds and bandwidth for everyone. You may see speed drop during working hours. Going to be like this for a while. 

Good Luck. 

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7