Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50 is slower than my isp coming into router

ziggyray
Aspirant

RBR50 is slower than my isp coming into router

Hello, I am loosing about 100mbs from what I get from isp jack to what I get wired to the orbi router and also if i do a speed test on orbi router it is more than I get from a wired connection on my imac or any wireless? my rated speeds are 300/300 and the upload is always close to 300 like 289 but download is around 160 wired and 80 wireless but on wired and wireless upload is always good but cant figure out why my download wont be like upload speeds? I have called provider and we tested at the isp jack and it is 285ish every time we tested but once connected to router is slows over 50 percent and reason I bought this router was to get the high speeds, anyone have similiar issues with orbi? plz help

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR50 is slower than my isp coming into router

What Firmware is currently loaded?

Do you have an ISP Modem or just a wall jack where the ISP servcie comes in at? 

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since the FW was updated?

Message 2 of 11
Ursa99
Star

RBR50 and 2 satellites.  FW 2.3.1.60  OS=Windows 10, Android Pixel 3, Iphone 6.

I have a similar issue.  DL's are about 1/2 of uploads.  I've done a paperclip reset to no avail.  Running in access point mode.  Main router shows correct DL and Upload speeds.  If there is a more thorough reset procedure I'd be willing to try that. 

I'm on the lastest firmware and it was updated automatically.  In fact the last 3 updates were all done automatically and this is my first speed issue.  

Any help much appreciated,

Ursa

Message 3 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

@Ursa99 wrote:

RBR50 and 2 satellites.  FW 2.3.1.60  OS=Windows 10, Android Pixel 3, Iphone 6.

I have a similar issue.  DL's are about 1/2 of uploads.  I've done a paperclip reset to no avail.  Running in access point mode.  Main router shows correct DL and Upload speeds.  If there is a more thorough reset procedure I'd be willing to try that. 

I'm on the lastest firmware and it was updated automatically.  In fact the last 3 updates were all done automatically and this is my first speed issue.  

Any help much appreciated,

Ursa

Message 4 of 11
Ursa99
Star

The router is an TPLink Archer C7.  I have my PC connected directly to it and the DL and Uploads are perfect. 

Message 5 of 11
ziggyray
Aspirant

no modem is just a wall jack because I have fiber all the way to house and can get 1gb service but cant even get the 300 I have now so tryin to fix before I upgrade,it is up to date firmware,one satilitte,single level house, I am going to try a factory reset and see if it helps next.

Message 6 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

So you have a Router infront of the Orbi router? If so,This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Disable ALL wifi radios on the first router, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the router. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
2. Or disable all wifi radios on the 1st and connect the Orbi router to the 1st router, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

3. Remove the 1st router from the mix and directy connect the RBR to the ISP wall jack.

@Ursa99 wrote:

The router is an TPLink Archer C7.  I have my PC connected directly to it and the DL and Uploads are perfect. 

Message 7 of 11
Ursa99
Star

From my original posting...

>Running in access point mode.  No double NAT involved.  

Message 8 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Is speed testing from RBR with a wired PC? 

What happens if you remove the 1st router and connect the RBR to the ISP service and test the Orbi in router mode? 

Message 9 of 11
Ursa99
Star

Speed test of my ISP is directly from the router.  My PC is plugged directly into the router.

Here is the speed test result using the ORBI.  

Capture.PNGThe wireless speedtest show a similar disparity.

My ISP speed is the same up and down.  A direct test thru the router gets about 720 down and about 710 up.

Message 10 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

I would recommend you contact NG support and ask about this. 

Been some issues with near 900Mb speeds on Orbi seen before. 

https://www.netgear.com/mynetgear/registration/login.aspx

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7