Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR50 issues with xfinity

PDXjon
Aspirant

RBR50 issues with xfinity

I am running an RBR50 2 node Orbi AC3000. I recently changed from Frontier to Xfinity.  Installed 1 Gbps service with a XB7-T xfinity wireless router/modem. I am hardwired Ethernet cable to the xfinity modem, 6' of spearation. Since the installation I have not been able to access Prime Video (I get a Something went wrong message) or Disney+ on my Roku's and I get 404 NOT FOUND errors when trying to access some websites. This is occuring on Windows 10 and Android devices. I also tried to do an Android system download and it would not connect to the download server. The wi-fi is turned on for the xfinity router. 

Is there a configuration that needs to be changed on the Orbi? Configuration change on the xfinity? Or do I need to turn the wi-fi off on the xfinity router?  Any other thoughts?  

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
PDXjon
Aspirant

So, after a week away from home, I did a factory reset on the Orbi and rebuilt the network.  I also did a restart on the Comcast XB7, which is a WiFi6 gateway (modem/router). When I did the factory reset, the Orbi also did a firmware update. After the firmware update the Orbi works with no issues and the Xfinity router is set with bridge (DISABLED) and wifi on. At this point I am pretty convinced that it was the firmware update that might have done the job. I should note that I did multiple tries with bridge enabled, wi-fi off, etc. none worked.  And the Orbi would NOT recognize the Xfinity Internet with the XB7 gateway set to bridged enabled.   Go figure!  Thanks to all for the assistance, now working great. 

View solution in original post

Model: CATRBR50-100NAS|Orbi Premium CAT5e Flat Ethernet Cable
Message 11 of 13

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

@PDXjon wrote:

The wi-fi is turned on for the xfinity router. 

Is there a configuration that needs to be changed on the Orbi? Configuration change on the xfinity? Or do I need to turn the wi-fi off on the xfinity router?  Any other thoughts?  

There is no point in having two competing WiFi networks (Xfinity and Orbi). The Xfinity WiFi should be turned off.

There are issues with having "two routers".  Netgear describes it this way:

https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT 

Either the Xfinish should be put into "bridge" or "modem" mode, or the Orbi should be put into Access Point (AP) mode.

The choice depends on which is easiest to accomplish and whether you want/need Orbi features such as Bitdefender Armor or Disney Circle.  (All I see on the forum about these features are problems, so I have never activated them.)

I would think a call to Xfinity tech support would get them to make the Xfinity change for you.

Orbi AP mode is enabled on the Orbi web interface (http://orbilogin.net), the Advanced Tab, Advanced Setup, Router/AP mode.

Message 2 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

@PDXjon wrote:

I am running an RBR50 2 node Orbi AC3000. I recently changed from Frontier to Xfinity.  Installed 1 Gbps service with a XB7-T xfinity wireless router/modem. I am hardwired Ethernet cable to the xfinity modem, 6' of spearation. Since the installation I have not been able to access Prime Video (I get a Something went wrong message) or Disney+ on my Roku's and I get 404 NOT FOUND errors when trying to access some websites. This is occuring on Windows 10 and Android devices. I also tried to do an Android system download and it would not connect to the download server. The wi-fi is turned on for the xfinity router. 

Message 3 of 13
PDXjon
Aspirant

I found the xfinity instructions to turn off the wi-fi on their router. Should I do that?  Or should I waith for xfinity to follow your suggestions. I have been in their advance support queue for over an hour. 

Love my Orbi too and have recommended and installed a number of them.

Message 4 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

You can turn it off your self if you have access to there router. 

Message 5 of 13
PDXjon
Aspirant

I worked with Comcast and enabled bridging. When I did that, my Orbi would not recognize the Ethernet Internet connection to the xfinity router. I disabled bridging, and turned off the both wi-fi channels on the xfinity router, and I still get the same issues. Is there another setting on the Orbi that I need to change once bridge is enabled?

Message 6 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

After you have bridged the modem fully and it's rebooted, power OFF both Modem and RBR for 1 minute, then power ON the ISP modem and let it sync. Then power ON the RBR. It should connect here. If not, try a factory reset of the RBR using the back reset button for 15 seconds then release. Walk thru the setup wizard. 

Message 7 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

My stars, what a puzzle.  I just hate it when things that should just "plug in" fail to work.

Is there a computer with an ethernet port available?   The Orbi will function with no internet connection at all.  There won't be internet, of course, but devices can connect to the Orbi WiFi and talk to each other.  (One medical relief mission in Haiti uses an Orbi to connect their laptops and network servers. They have no internet connection at all.)

Plugging the computer directly into the Xfinity box should result in an internet connection for the computer. It should get the public IP address from the Xfinity and "be in business."  If it does not, then the Xfinity is busted.

Once the Xfinity is known to be "good", I would connect the computer to the Orbi rather than the Xfinity and not connect the Orbi and modem.  Power up the Orbi and open http://192.168.1.1 on the computer.  User name "admin", password "password" (If you did a Factory Reset") or the password that has been set on the Orbi.)  Everything should be working except internet.  WiFi should be on.  Go through the setup until it comes to "connect to internet" and see what happens.

Message 8 of 13
Mikey94025
Hero

@PDXjon wrote:

I worked with Comcast and enabled bridging. When I did that, my Orbi would not recognize the Ethernet Internet connection to the xfinity router. I disabled bridging, and turned off the both wi-fi channels on the xfinity router, and I still get the same issues. Is there another setting on the Orbi that I need to change once bridge is enabled?

I also have Xfinity and run my Orbi AX in bridge mode.  I initially ran my first month with my Orbi AX in Router mode, connected to the Xfinity gateway, and had Double NAT.  This was not ideal, but still worked fine.

Once you switch your Xfinity gateway to bridge mode (https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/wireless-gateway-enable-disable-bridge-mode), it is a little finicky getting the new router (i.e., your Orbi AX) to get an IP from Comcast.  Maybe this is because the MAC address for your service changed, from the Gateway to your Orbi, but I don't know for sure.  I did have some Orbi "could not get internet service" (sorry don't recall the exact error message) errors immediately after switching to bridge mode but that went away after 5-10 mins.

If you were on the Xfinity tech help phone line then they can help send a reset signal to your gateway.  You can also do this yourself by calling the 1-800-COMCAST phone number or online at https://customer.xfinity.com/#/services/internet (go down to Devices and click on "Restart Modem"). You shouldn't need to change anything on your Orbi but your intermet service may need a short kick, and wait, to get settled.

Message 9 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us now how this goes. 

@PDXjon wrote:

Message 10 of 13
PDXjon
Aspirant

So, after a week away from home, I did a factory reset on the Orbi and rebuilt the network.  I also did a restart on the Comcast XB7, which is a WiFi6 gateway (modem/router). When I did the factory reset, the Orbi also did a firmware update. After the firmware update the Orbi works with no issues and the Xfinity router is set with bridge (DISABLED) and wifi on. At this point I am pretty convinced that it was the firmware update that might have done the job. I should note that I did multiple tries with bridge enabled, wi-fi off, etc. none worked.  And the Orbi would NOT recognize the Xfinity Internet with the XB7 gateway set to bridged enabled.   Go figure!  Thanks to all for the assistance, now working great. 

Model: CATRBR50-100NAS|Orbi Premium CAT5e Flat Ethernet Cable
Message 11 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

"Xfinity router is set with bridge (DISABLED) and wifi on"? 

I would recommend disabling the wifi radios on the ISP Modem if the modem is not in bridge mode. 

Did you power cycle the ISP modem and RBR off for 30 seconds then back ON after the modem was set to bridge mode? Posssible configuration on the modem isn't working right in bridge mode. Something to ask the ISP about later on.

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 12 of 13
Mikey94025
Hero

@PDXjon wrote:

I just upgraded my Comcast modem to the XB7 myself, both with and without bridge mode.  I had issues or delays where the Orbi could not get an IP address until minutes later.  It may also have been after I called 1-800-COMCAST and had them send a reset signal to my modem and/or to "activate" my new hardware.  It was confusing why things didn't "just work" and after having this occur multiple times with my Comcast equipment, I believe it often takes some things or resets to occur on their end before they will accept new equipment, MAC addresses, or whatever so some persistence is required.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7